11-03-2017, 11:00 PM
User Info
I have two new Gem Razors. The featherweight and the Micromatic Clog pruf. What blade is your favorite and why? I have some Ted Pella PTFE coated blades on the way. Thanks!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

2 87
 11-04-2017, 01:46 AM
User Info
Ted Pella sells Personna GEM SS PTFE blades. I get mine from here:

http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

0 93
 11-04-2017, 02:41 AM
User Info
(11-04-2017, 01:46 AM)rabidus Wrote: Ted Pella sells Personna GEM SS PTFE blades. I get mine from here:

http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html
Thanks! How many shaves per blade do you usually get?

2 87
 11-04-2017, 07:58 AM
User Info
As far as I know, there are really only two GEM-compatible blades from which to choose.  One is stainless steel and is PTFE coated, and the other is carbon steel.  The PTFE coated blade is far superior.  There are many places to get them, and they can be branded differently.  

As long as you are not using a paint scraper or the carbon steel version, all the others are essentially the same, and it is a good blade.  I use one for 7 days and then discard it.  I would also recommend palm stropping a few times on each edge prior to the first use.

3 1,932
 11-05-2017, 02:29 AM
User Info
There is always confusion with the GEM blades.  The easy one is the Carbon Steel and most are branded differently.  I believe I purchased my GEM Carbon Steel blades at CVS.  I was not a fan.

The Pella blades are clearly marked Stainless Steel with PTFE so that is easy as well.

The confusion comes with the blades branded Personna Gem Stainless Steel that are sold on Amazon and other places.  Nowhere on the package does it mention a PTFE coating.  My understanding is that they are coated and to me they shave the same as the Pella blades that I am certain are coated, but I cannot be 100% sure. I have no idea why Personna does not clearly mention PTFE on the package. (I have read that a Stainless Steel blade without a coating shaves horribly and that nobody manufactures a stainless steel blade without a coating.)

I also agree with Kingfisher that the first shave is noticeably more aggressive than the subsequent shaves.  Stropping is an option.  I have a heavy beard and I start to feel some pulling after 5-6 shaves.  I would say that it pretty typical for me for all blade types.

Good Luck

6 100
 11-05-2017, 02:50 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
I have both the GEM stainless steel blades, sold on Amazon, and the Pella PTFE blades and both shave about the same. Being a predominantly straight razor shaver, I strop the blades before each shave, whether they are new or used. I also use each blade no more than four times, preferably three.

177 3,658
 11-05-2017, 05:42 AM
User Info
(11-04-2017, 07:58 AM)kingfisher Wrote: As far as I know, there are really only two GEM-compatible blades from which to choose.  One is stainless steel and is PTFE coated, and the other is carbon steel.  The PTFE coated blade is far superior.  There are many places to get them, and they can be branded differently.  

As long as you are not using a paint scraper or the carbon steel version, all the others are essentially the same, and it is a good blade.  I use one for 7 days and then discard it.  I would also recommend palm stropping a few times on each edge prior to the first use.
Thanks for the great info. Could you tell me how to Palm strop

2 87
 11-05-2017, 05:52 AM
User Info
I've tried coated and uncoated GEM stainless, carbon PALs, carbon Treets, and carbon GEM blue stars. Some like the carbons because they are smoother from the get go, but they demand more attention or they will rust very quickly and don't last more than 4-5 shaves (ime). I prefer coated gems.

9 1,454
 11-05-2017, 06:05 AM
User Info
(11-05-2017, 02:29 AM)rodmonster Wrote: There is always confusion with the GEM blades.  The easy one is the Carbon Steel and most are branded differently.  I believe I purchased my GEM Carbon Steel blades at CVS.  I was not a fan.

The Pella blades are clearly marked Stainless Steel with PTFE so that is easy as well.

The confusion comes with the blades branded Personna Gem Stainless Steel that are sold on Amazon and other places.  Nowhere on the package does it mention a PTFE coating.  My understanding is that they are coated and to me they shave the same as the Pella blades that I am certain are coated, but I cannot be 100% sure. I have no idea why Personna does not clearly mention PTFE on the package. (I have read that a Stainless Steel blade without a coating shaves horribly and that nobody manufactures a stainless steel blade without a coating.)

I also agree with Kingfisher that the first shave is noticeably more aggressive than the subsequent shaves.  Stropping is an option.  I have a heavy beard and I start to feel some pulling after 5-6 shaves.  I would say that it pretty typical for me for all blade types.

Good Luck
Wow a lot of great info! Do you know which ones Maggard Razors sells? I ordered some from there and some from eBay that are Ted Pella PTFE coated ones.

2 87
 11-05-2017, 06:08 AM
User Info
(11-05-2017, 05:52 AM)lloydrm Wrote: I've tried coated and uncoated GEM stainless, carbon PALs, carbon Treets, and carbon GEM blue stars. Some like the carbons because they are smoother from the get go, but they demand more attention or they will rust very quickly and don't last more than 4-5 shaves (ime). I prefer coated gems.
Thanks!

2 87
 11-06-2017, 04:13 AM
User Info
(11-05-2017, 06:05 AM)shaved weiss Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 02:29 AM)rodmonster Wrote: There is always confusion with the GEM blades.  The easy one is the Carbon Steel and most are branded differently.  I believe I purchased my GEM Carbon Steel blades at CVS.  I was not a fan.

Good Luck
Wow a lot of great info! Do you know which ones Maggard Razors sells? I ordered some from there and some from eBay that are Ted Pella PTFE coated ones.

Maggard sells the GEM BlueStar which are the carbon blades.  I did not like them and extra care is needed because they will rust.  I shave every other day and use a blade for 5-6 shaves.  I found it very difficult to keep a carbon blade rust-free to 10-12 days even cleaning them in alcohol and carefully drying the blade between shaves.  

The Pella are coated.

I enjoy all of the GEM razors.  My favorite travel razor is the GEM Bullet which is less aggressive than either the MMOC or Clog-Pruf, and a fun razor to take on the road.

6 100
 11-06-2017, 05:14 PM
User Info
(11-05-2017, 02:50 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,
I have both the GEM stainless steel blades, sold on Amazon, and the Pella PTFE blades and both shave about the same. Being a predominantly straight razor shaver, I strop the blades before each shave, whether they are new or used. I also use each blade no more than four times, preferably three.
Thanks for your input. Sounds like the stainless steel are more liked than the carbon steel

2 87
 11-06-2017, 05:17 PM
User Info
(11-06-2017, 04:13 AM)rodmonster Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 06:05 AM)shaved weiss Wrote:

Good Luck

Maggard sells the GEM BlueStar which are the carbon blades.  I did not like them and extra care is needed because they will rust.  I shave every other day and use a blade for 5-6 shaves.  I found it very difficult to keep a carbon blade rust-free to 10-12 days even cleaning them in alcohol and carefully drying the blade between shaves.  

The Pella are coated.

I enjoy all of the GEM razors.  My favorite travel razor is the GEM Bullet which is less aggressive than either the MMOC or Clog-Pruf, and a fun razor to take on the road.
I have the Gem blue star from maggards and didn't enjoy them at all. Felt very rough. The Ted Pella PTFE should be here Thursday so I am hoping they perform much better

2 87
 11-06-2017, 05:45 PM
User Info
Here is the stropping explained 

a little to much pressure to my linking but you get the idea.

9 1,454
 11-06-2017, 05:53 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(11-06-2017, 05:14 PM)shaved weiss Wrote:
Thanks for your input. Sounds like the stainless steel are more liked than the carbon steel

I don't like the carbons. The stainless steel PTFE work just fine for me.

177 3,658
 11-06-2017, 05:56 PM
User Info
(11-06-2017, 05:53 PM)Obie Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 05:14 PM)shaved weiss Wrote:

I don't like the carbons. The stainless steel PTFE work just fine for me.
Yeah I used the carbon ones from maggards and they were very rough. Have some SS PTFE ones coming on Thursday. Hopefully they work better for me!

2 87
 11-06-2017, 05:57 PM
User Info
(11-06-2017, 05:45 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Here is the stropping explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc 
a little to much pressure to my linking but you get the idea.
Thanks. I will check it out!

2 87
 11-06-2017, 06:05 PM
User Info
There's not much to palm stropping.  I didn't watch the video, but here's how I do it.  

Take the razor by the spine and hold it in your right hand (if you're right handed) between the thumb and the first two fingers.  Hold your left hand palm up close to your right.  Pull the razor rapidly and lightly over the outside part of your left palm (pinky finger side) repeatedly, like you are honing a knife before you carve a turkey.  Turn the blade over and do the same thing to the other side.  

Done.

3 1,932
 11-06-2017, 07:40 PM
User Info
Kingfisher, are you stropping the blade while it is inside the razor? 

I do the same stropping technique, but only on a fresh blade. I don't see a point in palm stropping a blade inbetween shaves.

13 254
 11-06-2017, 07:41 PM
User Info
(11-06-2017, 06:05 PM)kingfisher Wrote: There's not much to palm stropping.  I didn't watch the video, but here's how I do it.  

Take the razor by the spine and hold it in your right hand (if you're right handed) between the thumb and the first two fingers.  Hold your left hand palm up close to your right.  Pull the razor rapidly and lightly over the outside part of your left palm (pinky finger side) repeatedly, like you are honing a knife before you carve a turkey.  Turn the blade over and do the same thing to the other side.  

Done.
Seems pretty simple. Does it just smooth out the blade a bit? Thanks

2 87