11-04-2017, 04:20 AM
User Info
Hello. I have some questions about caring for safety razor equipment. 1. How do you clean a safety razor? Would a toothbrush, a small pipe cleaning brush(for hard to reach areas), water, dish detergent or hand soap work for cleaning a safety razor? Do I neeed Scrubbing Bubbles(or a similar product since I'm from Romania and can't find Scrubbing Bubbles here)? Do I need Barbicide? After using the razor what cloth should I use to dry it? A cotton cloth? A microfiber cloth? Can I use my face towel? 2.How do I clean a shaving brush?

0 103
 11-04-2017, 05:14 AM
User Info
Hot water and a soft toothbrush go a long way. If you don't let scum or soap residue built up on the razor, you shouldn't need anything much stronger. If you're buying used / antique razors barbicide will go a long way in sterilising it, but keep in mind that isn't the same as cleaning.

I don't dry my razors off after the shaving; I rinse them in the hottest possible water and shake them dry before putting them on the rack.

As far as brushes, I don't wash mine out - after all, I use soap on them every time I use it. I know some people uses shampoo, but as to what kind and how often is something others will have to tell you.

3 4,590
 11-04-2017, 05:30 AM
User Info
(11-04-2017, 05:14 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Hot water and a soft toothbrush go a long way. If you don't let scum or soap residue built up on the razor, you shouldn't need anything much stronger. If you're buying used / antique razors barbicide will go a long way in sterilising it, but keep in mind that isn't the same as cleaning.

I don't dry my razors off after the shaving; I rinse them in the hottest possible water and shake them dry before putting them on the rack.

As far as brushes, I don't wash mine out - after all, I use soap on them every time I use it. I know some people uses shampoo, but as to what kind and how often is something others will have to tell you.
Thanks.  Even I wipe down the razor with my face towel after every shave, there still is white residue on it after it dries. I think I have hard water.

0 103
 11-04-2017, 02:28 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Every so often after soaking in hot soapy water followed by a gentle toothbrush cleaning, I like to give my razors an isopropyl alcohol bath. Never had any damage/problems keeping things clean with this method.

7 2,293
 11-04-2017, 09:57 PM
User Info
(11-04-2017, 02:28 PM)chazt Wrote: Every so often after soaking in hot soapy water followed by a gentle toothbrush cleaning, I like to give my razors an isopropyl alcohol bath. Never had any damage/problems keeping things clean with this method.

+1 i do the same

29 345
 11-05-2017, 02:04 AM
User Info
Even I wipe down the razor with my face towel after every shave, there still is white residue on it after it dries. I think I have hard water.

0 103
 11-05-2017, 05:40 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I clean mine with a soft children's toothbrush and soft soap, but I never brush the top cap because I don't want to scratch it. I wipe my razors after each shave with a lense cloth. I would definitely use some sort of disinfectant if you're asking about vintage razors. For shaving brushes, you can soak it in a mixture of vinegar and water. You can also use makeup brush cleaner.

3 571
 11-05-2017, 06:04 AM
User Info
(11-05-2017, 02:04 AM)Alex7 Wrote: Even I wipe down the razor with my face towel after every shave, there still is white residue on it after it dries. I think I have hard water.

I think its your soap. Any hand soap and a tooth brush should do the trick.

8 1,183
 11-06-2017, 12:08 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(11-04-2017, 02:28 PM)chazt Wrote: Every so often after soaking in hot soapy water followed by a gentle toothbrush cleaning, I like to give my razors an isopropyl alcohol bath. Never had any damage/problems keeping things clean with this method.

DO NOT SOAK FOR TOO LONG! It will damage it. I speak from experience.

7 2,352
 11-06-2017, 04:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-06-2017, 12:08 PM)Mouser Wrote:

DO NOT SOAK FOR TOO LONG! It will damage it. I speak from experience.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't soak in alcohol for more than a minute or so. Just long enough to kill the germs Wink But yes, I've had an unfortunate experience too. The knob on a freshly replated/painted Red Tip softened after exposing it to alcohol. This was after a previous Scrubbing Bubbles incident. You might say I've learned my lesson! No strikeouts for this dopey razor cleaner!

7 2,293
 11-06-2017, 07:51 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I use Scrubbing Bubbles for the first or heavy cleaning. Once clean, I use a toothbrush with hand soap for light cleaning. This should be all you need.

For brushes I fill a cup with a mixture of 75% water and 25% vinegar. I soak them for 5 minutes. After thier soak I thoroughly wash them in warm water under the sink. This will clean the white soap residue.

76 1,369
 11-06-2017, 08:36 PM
User Info
I rinse and dry my razor and blade every time. I take very good care of all my stuff. Once my rotation with a razor is done I use a soft tooth brush and simple green. Dry with a towel then air dry for the day. Later after work I’ll polish with renaissance wax I purchased of amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 65