11-04-2017, 07:55 AM
User Info
So, for this week the razor I've chosen is a very rare bird.  

A lot of you know and love the Pils razor with its iconic design.  One of the few complaints about the razor (besides its exorbitant price) is it's smooth and thin handle.  Some people love it but others say it is too slick and they wish the razor handle were easier to grip.  

A number of years ago, Greg at iKon razors made several razors that were homages to the Pils.  Many of you probably remember them, or even own them.  Off the top of my head, there was the SK9, the S3S, the H2O, and the Modern (there may have been more).  These razors had heads that were similar to the Pils, except that they had dual comb designs (open comb on one side, safety bar on the other).  Also, in general, the handles were shorter, thicker, and had knurling.  At least one of these used the same 2-piece mechanism that the original Pils uses (I think the S3S is like this).  Others, unlike the Pils, were 3-piece razors.  

Little known to most of the wet-shaving community, at some point Greg also produced a razor that essentially looks almost exactly like the Pils with the exception of the fact that the handle is knurled.  It has the same 2-piece mechanism, and both sides are SB, just like the Pils.  These were made in very limited numbers.  I am in possession of a piece of paper from iKon that claims only 80 of these were made in total.  It looks like this (the first two images on the upper left-hand side):  

https://www.google.com/search?q=iKon+mod...00&bih=769

I know a lot of guys call the Pils "the hammer of Thor."  Because this iKon version was made in the Far East, I affectionately call it "the hammer of Vishnu."  And, although both the Pils and this razor look kind of like a hammer and seem intimidating, the truth is that this razor is very mild and provides an extremely smooth, easy shave.  Like the Pils, it is extremely head heavy, which some people really like.  I wish the handle had more girth, like the Modern or the H2O, personally.  That aside, though, this is a very nice, very reliable shaver, and I really enjoy using it when it comes up in the rotation.

Anybody else own this beauty?  Or one of the other Pils homage razors that iKon put out but is no longer manufacturing?  I'd love to hear your opinions about either this razor, the SK9, the Modern, the H2O, or the S3S.  Have you owned one?  Did you keep it?  If you sold it, why did you sell it?  Have you had more than one of these?  If so, which did you prefer, and why?

3 1,936
 11-04-2017, 04:47 PM
User Info
I had a P2B which was the introduction of the bamboo handle, loved the head design and the short style handle that the P2B offered. This was a two piece dual comb design. Nice razor , I sold because I wanted to try other items and I thought these items would be obtainable in the future as I did with all the gear I sold back then. Needless to say I regret selling many items from back then.

83 1,723
 11-07-2017, 06:44 AM
User Info
I'm surprised by how little interest there is in the iKon-produced Pils-like razors, which I think are fine shavers.  

I wonder if the lack of interest is because very few of you actually have owned or tried any of these razors?  I think the S3S was produced in decent quantities, and perhaps the H2O.  I feel like the Modern was very limited.  

Has anybody on this forum tried any of these razors?  Does anybody still own one?  

FWIW, I used mine again this morning and I am more and more impressed with it.

3 1,936
 11-07-2017, 08:25 AM
User Info
I had a PILS 101NE.  I didn't like the handle grip - too thin and no grip.  I found it to be a very mild razor.  Sold it.

I have an Ikon S3S with a bamboo handle (purchased in early 2012).  The OC is definitely more aggressive than the PILS.  The SB is a bit more aggressive than the PILS.  I use the OC for the first pass and the SB for subsequent passes and touch-ups.  OC razors and I don't get along very well - I find them to be too aggressive.  When using the S3S, I have to really pay attention to what I'm doing, so it won't bite me.  lol  It isn't a "daily driver" or used on a regular basis.  Cool razor though.  The "dual personality" concept is a brilliant idea.

8 195
 11-07-2017, 09:16 AM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
I purchased a S3S on a bamboo handle here on the BST a few days ago. Well, it will take some time to get it to Denmark but I am already looking forward to it.
Need also to try a new SBS head I received last week from Connaugh Shaving in the UK.

Personally I like the Pils 101. In my eyes the original handle is a bit special but still easy to get uesd to it but oftest I pair the Pils with a custom handle made by Brian at Charcoal Goods or a modified Ikon handle that Triad made some times ago. Both of these custom handles change the balance of the Pils quite a bit and make it different razor.

Regards from Copengagen
Marco

9 359
 11-07-2017, 10:15 AM
User Info
I have used all of the razors you have mentioned in your original post, but I found them all to be too head-heavy and a bit mild, for me. Therefore, I ended up selling them.

89 21,229
 11-08-2017, 10:21 AM
User Info
The PILS is one of my all-time favorite razors. I recently acquired another PILS a couple of weeks ago that came with a Triad handle with knurling. I personally prefer the thinner, smooth handle.  I had both an S3S and an H2O.  I found the S3S to be too heavy and the H2O to be too light for my preferences.  I actually sold the H2O back to Greg himself.  But the PILS style head delivers a wonderful, smooth, irritation-free shave once you master the angle.  Looking at the images of the Modern though, I think I would really like that handle.

75 2,414
 11-08-2017, 10:50 AM
User Info
(11-08-2017, 10:21 AM)merkur man Wrote: The PILS is one of my all-time favorite razors. I recently acquired another PILS a couple of weeks ago that came with a Triad handle with knurling. I personally prefer the thinner, smooth handle.  I had both an S3S and an H2O.  I found the S3S to be too heavy and the H2O to be too light for my preferences.  I actually sold the H2O back to Greg himself.  But the PILS style head delivers a wonderful, smooth, irritation-free shave once you master the angle.  Looking at the images of the Modern though, I think I would really like that handle.

Thanks.  

Yeah, the Modern is one of the razors I'm really sorry I missed out on.  

Shaved again this morning with the iKon Pils (for lack of a better name).  I really like this razor.  For all intents and purposes, it's a Pils, just with knurling on the handle.

3 1,936