11-06-2017, 05:34 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
For those of you who have either brand, it looks to me like the Paladin logo imprint is etched into the handle and therefore should last many years.  It looks like the Morris & Foundran logo is simply painted on the handle.  Has anyone had any problems with the printing wearing off on a M&F brush?  Since they both use the same knot, I want one that will last the longest.  Thanks for your input.

9 261
 11-06-2017, 07:20 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Paladins are engraved and quite well to say the least.  M&F's are printed.  Although I have several M&F's that have stood the test of time, I do have a couple that show signs of wear on the lettering.

47 633
 11-06-2017, 07:23 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-06-2017, 07:20 AM)ddk13 Wrote: Paladins are engraved and quite well to say the least.  M&F's are printed.  Although I have several M&F's that have stood the test of time, I do have a couple that show signs of wear on the lettering.

Interesting.  That's what I was worried about.  How would you compare the two brands otherwise?

9 261
 11-06-2017, 07:30 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
For me it depends on what you're looking for in a knot.  Don't get me wrong, I love my M&F's, but when you buy one you get what you get.  Of the Blondes and Finests I have I don't really notice much difference.  I have a couple that are absolutely silky soft and other's that are really scrubby regardless of their label.  What I like in what Ken at Paladin does is he gives a brief description in the knot section of his website so you have a little bit of an idea of what the characteristics are of the knot you're buying.  I hope that helps some.

47 633
 11-06-2017, 08:21 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(11-06-2017, 05:34 AM)NJDJ Wrote: For those of you who have either brand, it looks to me like the Paladin logo imprint is etched into the handle and therefore should last many years.  It looks like the Morris & Foundran logo is simply painted on the handle.  Has anyone had any problems with the printing wearing off on a M&F brush?  Since they both use the same knot, I want one that will last the longest.  Thanks for your input.
M&F and Paladin do not use the same knot, the knots are very different between the two. With M&F you will usually get a nice full medium backbone knot with a loft 49-51 most of the time with soft tips (i,ve has a few that are scitchy as all get out). Paladin offers a veriety of nicely dense knots. The personality of the knot are derived from the hair batch, free loft, loft, head shape. Because of these varitables the brushes range from soft to strong backbone, massage to soft plush, along with the handle Ken creates each brushes personality.

51 457
 11-06-2017, 09:17 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-06-2017, 08:21 AM)bijou Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 05:34 AM)NJDJ Wrote: For those of you who have either brand, it looks to me like the Paladin logo imprint is etched into the handle and therefore should last many years.  It looks like the Morris & Foundran logo is simply painted on the handle.  Has anyone had any problems with the printing wearing off on a M&F brush?  Since they both use the same knot, I want one that will last the longest.  Thanks for your input.
M&F and Paladin do not use the same knot, the knots are very different between the two. With M&F you will usually get a nice full medium backbone knot with a loft 49-51 most of the time with soft tips (i,ve has a few that are scitchy as all get out). Paladin offers a veriety of nicely dense knots. The personality of the knot are derived from the hair batch, free loft, loft, head shape. Because of these varitables the brushes range from soft to strong backbone, massage to soft plush, along with the handle Ken creates each brushes personality.

So, which do you think is better brand?

9 261
 11-06-2017, 09:46 AM
User Info
They are both worth owning. More variety in handle shape with paladin, very unique knots with m&f

29 1,159
 11-06-2017, 10:00 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(11-06-2017, 09:46 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: They are both worth owning. More variety in handle shape with paladin, very unique knots with m&f

Signs011

47 633
 11-06-2017, 10:16 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(11-06-2017, 09:17 AM)NJDJ Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 08:21 AM)bijou Wrote:

So, which do you think is better brand? 
In my opinion Paladin creates the best finished handle bar none offering a good variety of designs. As for the knot email Ken and tell him what you like in a brush and he can direct you to a brush on his site (write down the knot characteristics that Ken equates to what you want, also read the knot code chart especially the latest knots). If you don't see a handle that you like on the site with those knot characteristics wait for his next offering and check out the handles that you like along with the knots being offered in them. This is what I do beside's having a preference for certain colors. 

This may seem lot a lot of work but it's fun work to be informed especially for the money that you will spend and the variety of brushes on the market. All the best to ya.

51 457
 11-06-2017, 01:13 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I am pretty sure I just saw a post  by Brad Sears where the new M&F's are using some sort of ink that is used on medical equipment that will prevent the logo from being smeared like some of the old ones can be, so they will hold up much longer. I have 2 of each, and neither of my M&F show any sign of wear on the logo. I love my Paladin's and use them a lot but one of my M&F is the most used brush I have it is simple a stunning performer.

8 493
 11-06-2017, 01:42 PM
User Info
The op inquired about handles.  I find that the engraving and finish on Paladin handles are truly outstanding.

50 6,277
 11-06-2017, 01:44 PM
User Info
The biggest thing to remember is not to rub the font in any way that will compromise the ink. Drying your brush off in a rubbing motion and lathering in a mug are two ways your font can take a beating over time. When drying a brush handle I use a soft cloth and pat it dry , I also face lather and my brushes have never had any issue with smudging over time.

61 1,582
 11-06-2017, 08:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-06-2017, 01:44 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: The biggest thing to remember is not to rub the font in any way that will compromise the ink. Drying your brush off in a rubbing motion and lathering in a mug are two ways your font can take a beating over time. When drying a brush handle I use a soft cloth and pat it dry , I also face lather and my brushes have never had any issue with smudging over time.

Good post, Corey.

7 2,288
 11-07-2017, 10:11 AM
User Info
I use M&F since 2011 and I have not had problems with the logo

8 1,691
 11-08-2017, 12:10 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(11-06-2017, 01:42 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The op inquired about handles.  I find that the engraving and finish on Paladin handles are truly outstanding.
I agree, the fit and finish is fantastic on Paladin handles. I've not found a handle the Paladin makes tgat I didn't like. I've held them all and love the Chief, Moe, Tut/Cleo, Winston, El Dorado, Sumo, Beehive, yeah, pretty much all they have.

I saw a picture of some Halloween handles that Cody made that looked fantastic. I'm sold on Paladin brushes. I have one for trade on the BST if anyone is interested...and what am I trading For? Another Paladin!

Haha

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

74 1,517
 11-08-2017, 12:45 PM
User Info
Never a problem for the M&F logo wearing for me.

0 83