11-06-2017, 07:35 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
For those of you with experience with both hair types, please offer your advice.  I recently acquired a Shavemac Silvertip in 24mm fan and I LOVE it.  It has super soft tips and some backbone.  I do not like floppy brushes and this isn't floppy.  If I could change one thing, it would be to keep the extremely soft tips and add just a tiny bit more backbone.  In addition to the softness, another thing I like is the way it whips up lather.  It is very creamy and quick.  I was very surprised by this as I think it does a better job than any of my other brushes at developing a very quick and creamy lather.  I think I have to work the lather much more to get the same effect with my other brushes (Simpson Best and Simpson Manchurian).  So, I am thinking about making some changes.  I have read the many great reviews about Shavemac Silver in 2 band.  Would I be happier with that or should I stay with another plain Shavemac Silvertip?  Also, acquisition disease has me also thinking about a Paladin or M&F.  Their handles look so nice.  What do you guys think?

9 261
 11-06-2017, 12:33 PM
User Info
Going to be hard to find a hair type as soft as the silvertip . The two band will have a nice step up on backbone , you might try a silvertip in bulb as they typically have a touch more backbone than the fan knots.

61 1,582
 11-06-2017, 12:56 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-06-2017, 12:33 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Going to be hard to find a hair type as soft as the silvertip . The two band will have a nice step up on backbone , you might try a silvertip in bulb as they typically have a touch more backbone than the fan knots.

Seems like a good suggestion.

9 261
 11-07-2017, 03:28 AM
User Info
I own four Shavemac 2-band Silvertip knots purchased within the last few years. Two are on Shavemac handles and two have been installed on Rooney and Simpson handles. They are my favourite knots ~ the best I have found aside from Rooney Heritage 2-band which is no longer available. The softness is as good as Shavemac 3-bands with substantially increased backbone.

27 401
 11-07-2017, 03:40 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-07-2017, 03:28 AM)scritchnscrub Wrote: I own four Shavemac 2-band Silvertip knots purchased within the last few years. Two are on Shavemac handles and two have been installed on Rooney and Simpson handles. They are my favourite knots ~ the best I have found aside from Rooney Heritage 2-band which is no longer available. The softness is as good as Shavemac 3-bands with substantially increased backbone.

Sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

9 261
 11-09-2017, 04:56 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Any other thoughts/recommendations?

9 261
 11-09-2017, 07:29 AM
User Info
I️ also have a Shavemac 2 band silver tip. Favorite knot. Soft tips, but nice backbone. It is a bulb.

0 7
 11-09-2017, 07:53 AM
User Info
Don't overlook the finest..
Excellent choice for the price
mine is a bulb shape

22 283
 11-09-2017, 11:40 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Nishy had a great description of the Shavemac hair types.
Quote:If we consider these knots as a massage, your looking at:

Silvertip 3 band: pregnancy massage (I appreciate few of us have experienced this) 
Silvertip 2 band: soft oil massage
"Unique" special-order: oil massage
D01 3 band: Thai massage 
D01 2 band: Sports massage

47 1,934
 11-09-2017, 11:57 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-09-2017, 11:40 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Nishy had a great description of the Shavemac hair types.

Quote:If we consider these knots as a massage, your looking at:

Silvertip 3 band: pregnancy massage (I appreciate few of us have experienced this) 
Silvertip 2 band: soft oil massage
"Unique" special-order: oil massage
D01 3 band: Thai massage 
D01 2 band: Sports massage
Thanks for re-posting this.  I guess I like the pregnancy massage.  Who knew?  Wink

9 261
 11-11-2017, 07:36 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I am still kicking this around in my head. I wish Shavemac had a return policy so that I could try the 2-band.

9 261
 11-11-2017, 08:45 PM
User Info
Once you try Shavemac silvertip 2-band, you won't need a return policy.

On a related matter, a manufacturer or vendor cannot sustain a policy of allowing customers to return used brushes which are not defective.

50 6,277
 11-12-2017, 04:57 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
My preference is for knots that have soft tips, good flow through and medium backbone.  In the realm of shavemac that puts me squarely in the camp of 3-band silvertip and finest with standard lofts.  I do have a 2-band silvertip, which I like, but it does push my limit on backbone.  If you want 3-band or finest you could lower the loft from shavemac's standard setting, but best discussed with Bernd.  Come to think of it, you might be better served to describe to Bernd  your requirements and get his advice.

7 922
 11-12-2017, 05:22 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-11-2017, 08:45 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Once you try Shavemac silvertip 2-band, you won't need a return policy.

On a related matter, a manufacturer or vendor cannot sustain a policy of allowing customers to return used brushes which are not defective.
Yes. I have a Shavemac 2-band in a Duke 3 handle. It is truly wonderful.

(11-12-2017, 04:57 AM)Rufus Wrote: My preference is for knots that have soft tips, good flow through and medium backbone.  In the realm of shavemac that puts me squarely in the camp of 3-band silvertip and finest with standard lofts.  I do have a 2-band silvertip, which I like, but it does push my limit on backbone.  If you want 3-band or finest you could lower the loft from shavemac's standard setting, but best discussed with Bernd.  Come to think of it, you might be better served to describe to Bernd  your requirements and get his advice.
Yes. I emailed Bernd a while back when I was looking for a particular feel (at the time I was looking for a “wall of badger”), and he replied quite speedily with 2 or 3 recommendations that he felt were worth considering.

7 2,288