11-08-2017, 06:49 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I am considering changing out my daily driver razor.  I currently use a Rockwell 6s and I am very happy with the results.  I thought I would be done at this point, although I have always admired the looks of Wolfman's, etc.  I use plate 3 and have found it produces an excellent shave for me.  I only use plate 3 and haven't really experimented with the others.  That said, I recently got my hands on a Blackbird at the shave shop.  The machining and design are much nicer than the Rockwell (with the price tag to go with it!).  I have been thinking about making the switch.  I would have to sell the Rockwell first because the wife will kill me otherwise.  For those of your who have tried both, what is your opinion?  Is the difference solely aesthetics?  Are there any genuine differences in the shave itself?  Lastly, what Rockwell plate would be most similiar to the Blackbird?

26 666
 11-08-2017, 07:11 AM
User Info
Blackbird is very different and hard to compare to other razors. Lots of blade feel but because of the curvature and built in angle its not an "am gonna cut myself" kind of feel and getting an actual cut or irritation is not common, possibly because of the flex of the blade given by the distance from grip to edge. 
The way is see Rockwell is: a good, simple, well built razor, similar to a R/DE89, with adjustable blade gap. Solid blade grip.

9 1,454
 11-08-2017, 07:44 AM
User Info
I have both the Rockwell 6S and the Blackbird (OC and SB).
To me they both shave differently. Both give me great shaves.
The Bird OC is my preference. Not really much difference I just like the OC plate.
I get a very close shave with it. I think it has a different "feel" than many of my razors.
It took me a couple of shaves to get the angle down. Just minor adjustments on my part.
I use my Rockwell on 3/4 and get nice smooth shaves.
I use both as I like to vary my shave experience.

2 8
 11-08-2017, 08:51 AM
User Info
Both give a great shave. The rockwell is more forgiving of bad technique. The blackbird delivers a closer shave when I keep the right angle. Keeping the right angle comes down to muscle memory so I choose blackbird.

13 254
 11-08-2017, 08:59 AM
User Info
I had the Rockwell and switched to the blackbird. Both a solid razors. I miss the Rockwell but am happy with the BB. You won’t be disappointed but if you like the Rockwell why switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 62
 11-08-2017, 09:22 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-08-2017, 08:59 AM)773badger Wrote: I had the Rockwell and switched to the blackbird. Both a solid razors. I miss the Rockwell but am happy with the BB.  You won’t be disappointed but if you like the Rockwell why switch?

It's a case of The Grass Is Always Greener, I think.  I like the performance of the Rockwell.  However, the Blackbird just looks nicer. I've always admired the looks of the machined razors. I think I would love a Wolfman, just not the price or the difficulty obtaining one.  If I can get a slightly better shave with the Blackbird and it looks better, than I think that's a good way to go. My fear is that the shave will be only as good as the Rockwell and not even slightly better.  Then I will be a bit disappointed in the purchase for having spent the extra money. To be happy, I want the blackbird to not only look better but also to actually perform better.

26 666
 11-08-2017, 09:28 AM
User Info
Totally get it. I had a similar mindset of a more ‘premium’ razor. A few pros I found to the BB: Bb has a smaller head, fit and finish was premium (to me), I can use a SB or OC base. Cons: it’s really one setting. So i can’t dial it into my beard growth.

I didn’t have the opportunity to have both at the same time to do a comparison. If you are able, I would recommend you do that.

If not, (if I had to do over) I would have just kept my Rockwell. Again very happy with my Bb. I get a little irritation on a low growth shave. But otherwise I could be a daily driver for me.

0 62
 11-08-2017, 09:51 AM
User Info
I have both razors - Blackbird in OC & SB versions and Rockwell’s 6S. I just started using the 6S this past week and prefer the shaves with the 6S so far over the Blackbird. The Blackbird is definitely better looking and has more blade feel, but it does not provide me with a closer, smoother shave. The 6S is more comfortable to use and is more forgiving. I like both razors because they feel different to use and like to collect them, but if I had to choose one, especially based on performance, I would have to pick the 6S.
Steve

0 1,001
 11-08-2017, 09:53 AM
User Info
I won’t give an opinion, but I would like to casually mention that you have 30 days to try a Blackbird out before you commit to keeping it. If it doesn’t beat your current lineup then just send it back. No worries.

0 800
 11-08-2017, 10:39 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-08-2017, 09:51 AM)Smooth Steve Wrote: I have both razors - Blackbird in OC & SB versions and Rockwell’s 6S.  I just started using the 6S this past week and prefer the shaves with the 6S so far over the Blackbird. The Blackbird is definitely better looking and has more blade feel, but it does not provide me with a closer, smoother shave. The 6S is more comfortable to use and is more forgiving. I like both razors because they feel different to use and like to collect them, but if I had to choose one, especially based on performance, I would have to pick the 6S.
Steve

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Steve. I'm very glad to hear from somebody who currntly has both razors.  Which Rockwell plate would you say is similar to the Blackbird?

26 666
 11-08-2017, 10:41 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-08-2017, 09:53 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: I won’t give an opinion, but I would like to casually mention that you have 30 days to try a Blackbird out before you commit to keeping it. If it doesn’t beat your current lineup then just send it back. No worries.

I know about that policy Shane. It is generous and really says you stand behind your product. It says a lot.

26 666
 11-08-2017, 11:03 AM
User Info
I should have my blackbird today.  I'll add my comments after a few tests.  I owned the Rockwell at one point...enjoyed it but it didn't get enough use.  I also found it a bit head-heavy due to the thick bottom plate, which is not my preference.

23 1,938
 11-08-2017, 11:14 AM
User Info
(11-08-2017, 11:03 AM)wreck | fish Wrote: I should have my blackbird today.  I'll add my comments after a few tests.  I owned the Rockwell at one point...enjoyed it but it didn't get enough use.  I also found it a bit head-heavy due to the thick bottom plate, which is not my preference.

That's an interesting comment which I have not read anyone else make.  However, when looking at pictures the razor it does seem like an unusually thick base plate.

53 8,233
 11-08-2017, 11:30 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-08-2017, 11:14 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 11:03 AM)wreck | fish Wrote: I should have my blackbird today.  I'll add my comments after a few tests.  I owned the Rockwell at one point...enjoyed it but it didn't get enough use.  I also found it a bit head-heavy due to the thick bottom plate, which is not my preference.

That's an interesting comment which I have not read anyone else make.  However, when looking at pictures the razor it does seem like an unusually thick base plate.
The Rockwell does have a thick base plate. In fact, the whole head itself is relatively thick when assembled. That said, I don't find there to be a balance issue. I think it's relatively well-balanced. I certainly don't feel that the balance affects the quality of the shave. It is a little bit of a pain in the butt when going under the nose. Even though it is a thick head, I think the Rockwell head is not that much thicker than the Blackbird head. From the pictures I have seen, a really thin head is the one on the Wolfman.  I keep coming back to that. Wish I could make a Wolfman work.  Sad

26 666
 11-08-2017, 12:49 PM
User Info
The Rockwells thick base is a plus for me, the thickness of the head isn't. Close but not my perfect razor. Still love it though, under the nose, not so much.

0 107
 11-08-2017, 05:16 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I’ve got both the Rockwell 6S and Blackbird open comb. I’ve only used the #6 plate on my Rockwell, which gives me a nice, trouble-free shave. The Blackbird is much more blade-forward on my face, and gives me a much closer shave. They’re both nice razors, but if the #3 plate works for you on the Rockwell, you may find the Blackbird too aggressive. But you’ll never know unless you give it a spin—as Shane says, why not give it a trial?

10 560
 11-08-2017, 05:23 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I say tell your wife you want a Blackbird for Christmas and keep your Rockwell. Problem solved.

3 639
 11-08-2017, 06:00 PM
User Info
Had a Blackbird, now have a S6. I miss my Blackbird.

154 3,748
 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(11-08-2017, 05:23 PM)DayMan Wrote: I say tell your wife you want a Blackbird for Christmas and keep your Rockwell. Problem solved.

Smile

26 666
 11-08-2017, 07:25 PM
User Info
(11-08-2017, 12:49 PM)MrWonderful Wrote: The Rockwells thick base is a plus for me, the thickness of the head isn't. Close but not my perfect razor. Still love it though, under the nose, not so much.

I feel the same way. the Rockwell is bulky in a way that almost borders on being cumbersome... without fully crossing over that precipice. The result is a smooth and efficient razor that I LOVE. When I use my other razors, I they stand out for being much more nimble in my opinion. 

I won't trade in my Rockwell 6S anytime soon by any means though! It really gives great shaves and is a great value!

1 51