11-08-2017, 02:14 PM
User Info
I have a half a dozen or so LPL soaps and am having a difficult time of making more than light, airy lather.  I have tried more/less water, badger/boar/mixed brushes....all to no avail.  Also, a couple of soaps have a crystal-like reflection when I rotate them under a light.  Since I have more than a few dollars invested, I am hoping someone can give me pointers on how to make good lather.  I love the scents so I want to make the LPL soaps work for me.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

22 760
 11-08-2017, 02:20 PM
User Info
I️ can’t lather the Oud Tallow version worth a hoot and usually never struggle with lathering any other soaps.

102 1,471
 11-08-2017, 03:22 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I've had the same problem with my LPL.  I started pre-soaking the puck while I shower and that helped a lot.  I also load it like I hate it with a synthetic brush and if the lather isn't what I'm after I go back to the puck and load more soap.

8 1,396
 11-08-2017, 03:56 PM
User Info
There are a few threads discussing the stearic spots , crystal like formations. Also a thread or two about proper care of LPL soaps so this event won’t take place. My soap crystallized to the point it would no longer lather for me as well over half the pot and likely close to 75% of the soap itself was solid crystal. Ended up having to throw mine away but yours sounds much less dramatic than mine. Have a look at the other threads there is much useful information in there.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=50924
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...hlight=Lpl

61 1,584
 11-08-2017, 06:59 PM
User Info
Thank God I'm not alone!
I was given a new tin of LPL Oud-Santal by a TSN Member. I've been trying to lather that stuff at least once a week for several months and, no joy. What I get is something akin to laundry soap bubbles when you use too much soap. As someone above said, light and airy... VERY light and airy. I admit as a newbie I still struggle to get "perfect" lather but I have no trouble generating decent lather with WSP, CRSW, B&M, ABC, and all my creams.
I love the scent so...Please help.
Ron

0 195
 11-08-2017, 08:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I had some difficulty getting good lather with the unscented LPL, but the oud-santal makes mountains of rich, creamy lather. I dig it.

7 2,293
 11-09-2017, 09:18 AM
User Info
Interesting reading.  I will most likely toss them.  Too much maintenance when I have other great lathering soaps that are maintenance free.  Chalk it up as a lesson learned.  I would never have thought I would encountered a situation such as this with the LPL soaps.  On the positive side I will have a half a dozen or so nice stainless steel storage tins.

Thanks for your help.

22 760
 11-09-2017, 09:25 AM
User Info
I have had these problems with 2 of my LPL, one vegetable and one with tallow "no is OUD" I will throw them in the trash ..

8 1,692
 11-09-2017, 10:02 AM
User Info
This most recent batch of Oud Santal is so hard to make lather with ... it has me puzzled.

102 1,471