11-08-2017, 07:33 PM
User Info
Hello guys, These modern SE's all look beautiful, I am interested in hearing about current thoughts with the old Streamline SE razors. Pics are always appreciated!

1 51
 11-08-2017, 09:18 PM
User Info
[Image: 8466975df808f3fbe15dfa581dc2afbf.jpg]Here’s mine...a little on the aggressive side. Re-plated in rhodium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 122
 11-08-2017, 09:48 PM
User Info
I love mine. I find it shaves great. It's been a while though ... Not the razor's fault.

9 1,373
 11-08-2017, 09:51 PM
User Info
I had one for over a year. While I loved both the look and feel of it, I never could get a great shave from it.

31 8,059
 11-09-2017, 02:35 AM
User Info
(11-08-2017, 09:51 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I had one for over a year. While I loved both the look and feel of it, I never could get a great shave from it.

Just put mine up for sale as I got a close shave with it but it was not what I consider a smooth shaver and I always get irritation with it. I don't have the irritation issue with some of my other Gem razors like my 1912, MMOC, MMCP, G Bar and of course my Modern Sabre for example. I'm in the process of thinning out the herd and I decided that my Streamline is one razor that has to go. Sad cause mines in great almost mint condition and they are very hard to fine nowadays and I don't usually sell my more collectable razors even if I don't use them but to many razors in the den and there are more on my bucket list.

0 228
 11-10-2017, 08:30 PM
User Info
I like my Streamline.  It's built like a tank and I love the art deco styling. It's a good shaver, but not my favorite gem-style razor.

3 1,844
 11-10-2017, 08:43 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(11-08-2017, 09:51 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I had one for over a year. While I loved both the look and feel of it, I never could get a great shave from it.

This is me, too. I love the look, but I can't get a close shave. My other Gem-blade razors, from the 1907 Lather Catcher, Gem Junior Bar, 1912 British, 1914, 1924, MMOC, etc., all are awesome. I also have a Featherweight, G-Bar and other "mild" Gem-blade razors I've never used, and suspect I never will.

9 516
 11-10-2017, 09:22 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I have used every Gem razor during my 55 years of shaving, the Streamline for about 2 decades (4-5 times a month) and for me it is the best of all Gems, the standard of how a gem razor should shave. About 15 years ago I started changing out the handles which improved maneuverability of the razor which improved the shave, The last 2 years I have been using a Ti Stork Aristocrat 90mm, 

I trulely love the Streamline, but to get the full benifit of it capabilities you need to use a very good soap with excellent cushion and slickness because of the ridgedness and exposure of the blade, a lesser soap will give you an unsatisfying shave. Over the years I have judge all razors that I've liked against the feedback of the Streamline (as you cut down the stubble the feedback smooths out which let's you know how well your shave is going). 

This is only my opinion but I believe the loudness of the Streamline feedback and ridgedness of the blade gives the impression to some shavers that the streamline is an overly aggressive rough shaving razor. Because of the loud feedback it has the tendency to turn some shavers off of Gems. As far as how I equate the finished shave itself, it gives me the same finished shave as a Timeless 95 OC using a Nacet or Polisilver blade and the Brass Asylum MT. An interesting feature of the the MT is that it gives similiar feedback as the Streamline which helps guage your shave besides finger feel. I also understand by todays veriety of razors that give smooth and effecient shaves, using a 1912 or Streamline can be an aquired taste.
[Image: yr23EOn.jpg] [Image: cqZWTw5.jpg] [Image: U9QiZFq.jpg]

54 611
 11-11-2017, 01:19 AM
User Info
If you can wield a MMOC, then you can wield a Streamline. I put the Streamline in line with the MM Clog Pruf as far as efficiency.

0 87
 11-11-2017, 06:12 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(11-10-2017, 08:30 PM)kingfisher Wrote: I like my Streamline.  It's built like a tank and I love the art deco styling. It's a good shaver, but not my favorite gem-style razor.

I'll echo this.  Foe appearance, its a great razor.  For shaving, there are others that work better for me.  However, don't let the views here stop you from adding one to your den. 
If you like it, go for it.

62 1,726
 11-11-2017, 07:42 AM
User Info
I owned a Streamline for some time and also really enjoyed the audible feedback which for me, was a distinct popping sound. I probably should have kept mine but I made a fair amount in selling it. bijou, that handle looks perfectly matched to the head, incredible - enjoy!

2 138
 11-12-2017, 09:01 AM
User Info
(11-10-2017, 09:22 PM)bijou Wrote: I have used every Gem razor during my 55 years of shaving, the Streamline for about 2 decades (4-5 times a month) and for me it is the best of all Gems, the standard of how a gem razor should shave. About 15 years ago I started changing out the handles which improved maneuverability of the razor which improved the shave, The last 2 years I have been using a Ti Stork Aristocrat 90mm, 

I trulely love the Streamline, but to get the full benifit of it capabilities you need to use a very good soap with excellent cushion and slickness because of the ridgedness and exposure of the blade, a lesser soap will give you an unsatisfying shave. Over the years I have judge all razors that I've liked against the feedback of the Streamline (as you cut down the stubble the feedback smooths out which let's you know how well your shave is going). 

This is only my opinion but I believe the loudness of the Streamline feedback and ridgedness of the blade gives the impression to some shavers that the streamline is an overly aggressive rough shaving razor. Because of the loud feedback it has the tendency to turn some shavers off of Gems. As far as how I equate the finished shave itself, it gives me the same finished shave as a Timeless 95 OC using a Nacet or Polisilver blade and the Brass Asylum MT. An interesting feature of the the MT is that it gives similiar feedback as the Streamline which helps guage your shave besides finger feel. I also understand by todays veriety of razors that give smooth and effecient shaves, using a 1912 or Streamline can be an aquired taste.
[Image: yr23EOn.jpg] [Image: cqZWTw5.jpg] [Image: U9QiZFq.jpg]

I agree with you on what you said. It's one of the best Gem razors shave wise and I love the looks and feel in hand. It is somewhat aggressive for some as it takes patience to learn how to get the best out of it but I find it an efficient razor and to me one of the 2 best Gem's along with the MMOC.  So get one if you find one as they are rare and hard to find and completely hold their value so if you don't like it you can sell it in a heartbeat.

0 228
 12-21-2017, 09:29 PM
User Info
Beautiful razor and well built but I would rate the shave as average . Don't regret buying it.

Glenn

2 52