11-11-2017, 10:19 AM
User Info
For the last week I've had on loan a Machine Finished Blackbird Open Comb Razor.  I have previously owned (and regrettably sold) a Polished Blackbird Safety Bar Razor.  
I was very fond of my Polished SB, and was curious as to the difference between them.  I own a couple of vintage OC razors, but no modern ones.

The Blackbird OC was not a smooth shaver; or more specifically, this Blackbird OC was not.  This Open Comb has sharp edged teeth which feel scratchy on my face.  
I don't know if this is typical of all Blackbird OCs, or just Machine Finished models, or if this is one base plate that got by QC with it's sharp edges un-beveled.  I don't know.

The Blackland website rates the aggressiveness of the SB at 7 and the OC at 7.5.  I can discern no difference in aggressiveness/efficiency between them, 
but this OC is noticeably less comfortable to shave with.  I am hoping to find another Short-handled Polished Blackbird SB.  If you have one for sale, please be in touch.

Here are a couple of pictures of the two razors in comparison.  I look forward to hearing of your experiences with the Blackbird OC Razor.  All the best.
[Image: S2V0w1W.jpg][Image: MVk4k5G.jpg]

22 261
 11-11-2017, 10:34 AM
User Info
Roy, if you and/or the owner of the Blackbird OC shoot me a few pictures I can help you determine what's going on. OC models now receive final hand finishing to really smooth out the OC teeth, but some early OC base plates did not.

Email me at shane@blacklandrazors.com and we'll sort it out.

0 800
 11-11-2017, 10:56 AM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(11-11-2017, 10:34 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: Roy, if you and/or the owner of the Blackbird OC shoot me a few pictures I can help you determine what's going on. OC models now receive final hand finishing to really smooth out the OC teeth, but some early OC base plates did not.

Email me at shane@blacklandrazors.com and we'll sort it out.

Shane, I'm the owner of the razor in question. Roy and I discussed this issue yesterday (with chips and salsa, beer for me, and hot lemonade for Roy). I use a very shallow angle with the Blackbird open comb, so I haven't experienced this issue. The teeth are sharper than most of my open combs, but I don't notice while shaving. Thanks for the offer. If I can take any decent pictures, I'll send them on to you, Shane.

Good luck, Roy, in finding your Blackbird SB!

10 560
 11-11-2017, 11:16 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I think it has to do with the shave angle used. I have 3 OCs, including a Blackbird, and I never feel the teeth. I have read people complaining about the teeth on other OCs as well. I actually find the Blackbird OC to be a little smoother than the SB. I can't really tell a difference in efficiency, but I do think the OC is a little more aggressive because the blade sticks out further over the teeth than the bar.

3 639
 11-11-2017, 12:27 PM
User Info
Funny thing, after shaving with my Blackbird OC (long handle) this past Friday I was thinking of posting how amazing it is that some razors shave so much closer than others. With a Gillette Silver Blue, that had already been used a couple of times, I still had a 2 pass BBS 8 hours after the shave. For me the BB OC is just a wonderful shaver in every way, and I wouldn't consider parting with the OC, or the SB. BTW, the OC in question is from back when the long handle was available and is a machine finish. I've since gotten an OC polished from Shane as a backup. Same great shave !

7 243
 11-11-2017, 12:33 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(11-11-2017, 12:27 PM)JimmyH Wrote: Funny thing, after shaving with my Blackbird OC (long handle) this past Friday I was thinking of posting how amazing it is that some razors shave so much closer than others. With a Gillette Silver Blue, that had already been used a couple of times, I still had a 2 pass BBS 8 hours after the shave. For me the BB OC is just a wonderful shaver in every way, and I wouldn't consider parting with the OC, or the SB. BTW, the OC in question is from back when the long handle was available and is a machine finish. I've since gotten an OC polished from Shane as a backup. Same great shave !

The Blackbird OC is one of my favorites as well. Tremendously close and long-lasting shaves, every time.

10 560
 11-11-2017, 01:54 PM
User Info
Handle titanium for Blackbird Razor

[Image: pwI8cuL.jpg]

[Image: p2RkbHu.png]

0 52
 11-12-2017, 06:52 AM
User Info
I have both blackbirds and love them equally.

7 60
 11-12-2017, 07:53 AM
User Info
I recently acquired an SB and OC and have been familiarizing myself with the SB.  Can't wait to move on to the OC.

23 1,938