11-12-2017, 08:01 AM
User Info
We've just had a cold snap up here in Canada.  And, that means one thing for me:  skin problems.

My shaves had been going so well.  Pure luxury with my S/E, and a final touch with my spectacular new colognes.  

Not any more. Terrible skin situations.  Horrible shaves. Practically using up my Alum block, which should normally last for several lifetimes.  I guess the cold weather has dried my skin out.  Not being a dermatologist, I'm not really sure what's going on.  Happens almost every year as I recall.

Anyway, there are solutions.  I've switched back to my Feather D/E, and mild 7 o'clock blades.  Nice gentle shaves.  Unscented shaving soap, and very lightly scented D R Harris Pink aftershave lotion.  No cologne.  And, a treatment of Lise Watier cream.  And, at night, I wash my face with Dove, and apply another treatment of Lise Watier unscented moisturizer.

I'm going to get through this.

Anyone else have temporary problems like this?  How do you get through it?

1 415
 11-12-2017, 08:10 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I keep things in check with unrefined shea butter. I apply nightly and year around now and have noticed a huge difference especially through the winter months.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=3949&pid=59426#pid59426 This is the mega thread on USB.

59 4,565
 11-12-2017, 08:33 AM
User Info
Hmm... can’t say I have any issues in colder months. In Denver, it’s dry year round - but we are sitting at 32f/0c in the mornings and my hands are pretty dry. That said, I use the same routine all year - balm every day, regardless of whether I shave or not.

29 1,159
 11-12-2017, 08:34 AM
User Info
You may want to try not using alum or aftershave, as they can dry and irritate sensitive skin.

50 6,277
 11-12-2017, 08:46 AM
User Info
I am in Canada and experience the same issues during winter. For me proraso pre shave cream after my shower helps alot and also CRSW and Eufros shaving balms.

I also reduce the number of passes that I would normally do in the summer, especially ATG.

0 40
 11-12-2017, 09:28 AM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 08:10 AM)eengler Wrote: I keep things in check with unrefined shea butter. I apply nightly and year around now and have noticed a huge difference especially through the winter months.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=3949&pid=59426#pid59426 This is the mega thread on USB.

Signs011

83 21,097
 11-12-2017, 09:58 AM
User Info
The main thing is, keep your skin moisturized. I have dryer skin in the winter months but i make it a habit to keep my face moisturized. Before bedtime i use a vitamin E lotion called Fruit of The Good Earth and it does wonders. Use a good aftershave balm after each shave and that will help alot as well

29 333
 11-12-2017, 03:44 PM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 08:10 AM)eengler Wrote: I keep things in check with unrefined shea butter. I apply nightly and year around now and have noticed a huge difference especially through the winter months.

Good idea.  I have some, and I think I'll try it for the before-bed treatment.

1 415
 11-12-2017, 03:46 PM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 08:34 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: You may want to try not using alum or aftershave, as they can dry and irritate sensitive skin.

Once things start to improve, I think I will.  Sadly, I really need that alum at the moment.  But I could probably do without the aftershave.

1 415
 11-12-2017, 04:31 PM
User Info
Maybe switch to a witch hazel-based aftershave.  I find them less drying.  Oddly enough, the only place on my face that gets dry is basically on my cheek bones (where I don't shave anyway).  A little cocoa butter lotion every couple of days helps.

0 1,085
 11-13-2017, 03:10 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I get irritation every time the seasons change. I don't know why, but it takes my skin a week or 2 to adjust each season.

3 570
 11-13-2017, 08:16 AM
User Info
+1 on ditching the alum.  Unless you are experiencing weepers on a daily basis, I can't think of another reason to use it.

75 2,303
 11-13-2017, 02:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Yes, I've noticed my skin getting drier as well. In addition to my face and neck, the skin on my hands gets very dry now, too. When it's really extreme the skin on the sides of my fingers and thumbs cracks along the whorls of the fingerprint. Man, that hurts! +1 for shea butter!

Btw, for the guitarists among us, don't forget to keep your instruments humidified now Wink

7 2,288
 11-13-2017, 06:42 PM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 03:46 PM)David Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 08:34 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: You may want to try not using alum or aftershave, as they can dry and irritate sensitive skin.

Once things start to improve, I think I will.  Sadly, I really need that alum at the moment.  But I could probably do without the aftershave.

I guess Ricardo was right when he asked to stop using Alum. It actually dries up the skin further and should be avoided in winters. I am myself a victim of harsh winters with my hands and face getting dried up quickly and skin on my hands begin to Crack.

I use lip balms, hand moisturizers, face moisturizers and what not to keep me hydrated and drink lots of warm water throughout the day.

Have you tried using witch hazel after your shaves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 834
 11-13-2017, 06:55 PM
User Info
I have one word for you: Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic.

Well, OK, it's 7 words, but you get the idea. Wonderful stuff!

0 88
 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM
User Info
Update.  I’ve switched to unscented witch hazel instead of the aftershave.  And, I’ve greatly reduced the alum treatment. Using about ¼ of what I was using. 

Also, I’m now using unrefined shea butter for my evening moisturizing treatment.

The result:  improvement.  Now, of course, I don’t know if this improvement is a direct result of the above, or just the passage of time.  Perhaps it’s both.

But, here is a new twist on the situation.  I popped by my shaving store on the way home from work today.  Bumped into a guy (another customer)  I’ve chatted with lots of times in there.  We decided to go next door and have a coffee.  I mentioned my skin problem, and how I was looking for more unscented shaving cream.

Turns out my acquaintance is a semi-retired psychiatrist.  I happened to mention how things were difficult at work at the moment, and how I was experiencing many unknowns every day, and how stressful it is.  He said it is very possible that the stress is contributing to the skin trouble.  He used many complex medical terms (he obviously thinks I’m much more intelligent than I am) to explain how I am not accustomed to stress and uncertainty in my job, and it may be having more of a negative effect on me than I realize.

The solution.  Find a mistress, take up serious drinking, buy a sailboat and sail around the world.  OK, he didn’t say that.

He told me to state what the absolutely worst scenario could be.  The absolute worst.  So, I thought about it, and came up with it.  Well, it isn’t all that bad at all.  In fact, quite manageable indeed.  And, the chances of things getting that bad are very remote.

Then he said, during this temporary period of (real or imagined) difficulty, I should enjoy my shaves more before I head off to work.  He said get up a half hour earlier, use a fresh blade every shave, use my very best shaving soap or cream, choose my brush carefully, put on my favourite music, take lots of time to “get into the moment,” pre-warm my scuttle, and be as inefficient as I want.  Just be sure to start the day off perfectly with the best shave in the world.

He also said, as much as I enjoy hot towels, to suspend doing that for a while because that might contribute to the dry skin.

So, starting tomorrow, I’m setting the alarm half an hour earlier.  Let’s see how it goes…

1 415
 11-14-2017, 05:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Good luck, David. I'm rooting for you.

I tried shaving in the morning before work. As it is, it takes me well over an hour to get out of the house. There's no way I can get up any earlier. Let us know how it goes for you.

Best wishes for dealing with your stress!

7 2,288
 11-14-2017, 05:57 PM
User Info
Just keep in mind that if getting up earlier doesn’t work, you can fallback on the sailboat idea Smile

29 1,159
 11-17-2017, 01:28 PM
User Info
Well, things are improving.  I certainly am enjoying the shaves, although I no longer get up a half hour earlier.  Just 10 minutes earlier, to be precise. But, that gives me lots of time.  I look forward to the quiet, positive time shaving, and that, along with nice breakfasts, allow me to start the day off in a most enjoyable way.

All the tips seem to be working.  I hardly use any alum now.  I think I'll likely stick with the moisturizer all winter though.  No fragrance yet, but perhaps one little spray next week.

And...the stress?  Still there, but I have things in perspective.  

No plans for a sailboat yet...

1 415
 11-17-2017, 02:03 PM
User Info
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. 
I have tons of skin issues and continue to escalate. Unscented soaps and creams are a must. Actually very few work well and some that worked just fine give me allergies and stuff. I am being treated for those, but allergies are a weird thing that apparently we still don't know how to deal with very well. 
Maybe a sailboat would do it for me, or maybe the sea salt would me it worst ... Haha! 
Enjoyable shaves are a common theme though.

8 1,178