11-12-2017, 08:21 AM
User Info
I love the ASD2. The weight, the chrome finish, the checkered pencil handle, it is a dream when shaving my neck, but took forever to get a good head shave out of it. So it sat, at the back of the razor tray, along with an equally mild Pils. I could admire it, but it was excluded from the rotation.

Last week, I learned about shimming. In several posts, people lamented learning about shimming after parting with their ASD2s, ‘if only I’d known’ was a common theme.

So I grabbed trimmed an Astra SP, placed it and a new Feather in the ASD2 and had an efficient, yet delightfully mild head shave this morning.

The ASD2 is now back in rotation with a Timeless .95, Guerrilla, and Charcoal level 2.

My lamentation is now, if only I’d known about shimming before parting with my ATTs!

2 90
 11-12-2017, 09:35 AM
User Info
If if helps, ime shimming doesn't work the same on all razors. The blade posts on the ATT make shimming very hard. 
Glad to read you found a set up that suits you.

9 1,455
 11-12-2017, 12:27 PM
User Info
That's great.  I never got on with shimming using an cut down blade, but I have used fine layers of masking tape.  This allowed me a greater degree of control over the shim height.  Glad this worked out for you!

23 1,938
 11-12-2017, 06:50 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Selling a new unused Feather with stand.  Wish I had tried this before selling the nearly new unit.  Would have given it a try and perhaps kept them.  Too late now as purchased replacements so now committed to sell.

Glad it worked out for you!  It is a beautifully made piece and feels good to the hand

3 291