11-12-2017, 09:06 AM
User Info
Hi,

What is THE number one most casual button-down mens shirt that will accept a necktie around the collar?
Thank you

0 75
 11-12-2017, 10:05 AM
User Info
I'm watching this post.  Aha.  I don't understand it but I'm watching.

3 151
 11-12-2017, 11:23 AM
User Info
To me at least the words "casual" and "necktie" don't even belong together... the interpretation of what is casual varies wildly making it hard to answer the question.

3 4,587
 11-12-2017, 12:39 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
You could wear a necktie with a polo/golf shirt if you wanted to.  It would look a bit odd.  I don't think I understand the question.

7 922
 11-12-2017, 12:57 PM
User Info
A tie is a formal piece of attire, and therefore suited for a dress shirt only. It does not pair with a polo or an Oxford button-down - only a dress shirt. That said, you may exercise the option of to wear or not to wear a tie with a dress shirt - I find the latter acceptable in all but the most formal of engagements. The pocket square is a great addition. 

[Image: daniel-craig-grey-suit-white-shirt-spott...-style.jpg]

[Image: daniel-craig-bond-561fa2b55f808.jpg]

29 1,159
 11-12-2017, 01:07 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Casual has many connotations to people - business casual, high fashion casual, evening party casual, wedding casual, etc. 

The shirt has to match
-  the rest of the outfit (coat, pants, tie, shoes, etc) 
-  the event (a Santa Claus shirt may be ok at Christmas, not July 4)

For me, fabric is very important.  A heavy wool deer hunter plaid wool shirt screams many things  - well dressed with tie is not among  those.  Personal opinion,  silk, corduroy, and wool are normally very casual and best without ties.

4 415
 11-13-2017, 07:10 AM
User Info
Ahhh - great question and in my opinion a blue chambray button down screams classic looks with a tie or without one
[Image: fZxnvYw.jpg]

1 10
 11-13-2017, 07:17 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I’m with greatbolo. As an elementary school teacher, I wear jeans or Dockers-style (mostly jeans) pants every day with a shirt and tie. Sneakers or Clarks on my feet. Early in my career I found myself sitting on the floor with the youngest kids in the classroom. Not one to visit the dry cleaner often, I borrowed the casual look from the comedians of the 90s. It’s comfortable and easy to iron/maintain. My collection of neckties is now just south of 100, down from 126 about three years ago. The right tie, the right shirt, a pair of dungarees, it’s all good. But then again I’m not cutting million dollar real estate deals or hob-nobbing with Wall Street tycoons (just molding the next generation).

7 2,288
 8 hours ago
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(11-12-2017, 12:57 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: A tie is a formal piece of attire, and therefore suited for a dress shirt only. It does not pair with a polo or an Oxford button-down - only a dress shirt. That said, you may exercise the option of to wear or not to wear a tie with a dress shirt - I find the latter acceptable in all but the most formal of engagements. The pocket square is a great addition. 

[Image: daniel-craig-grey-suit-white-shirt-spott...-style.jpg]

[Image: daniel-craig-bond-561fa2b55f808.jpg]
Mike's got it right. In spite of what you see in offices all around the country, a shirt with a button down collar is NOT a dress shirt. It can have a tab collar or a shirt that uses collar bars, both of which I had many , for those who know what those are. Also, strictly speaking a dress shirt does not have a pocket either. It's been so long I've quite forgotten if french cuffs are a must as well. But I'm thrown by the word "accept". If it has a collar it will "accept" a tie. Technically.

7 2,351