11-12-2017, 09:06 AM
User Info
Hi,

What is THE number one most casual button-down mens shirt that will accept a necktie around the collar?
Thank you

0 75
 11-12-2017, 10:05 AM
User Info
I'm watching this post.  Aha.  I don't understand it but I'm watching.

3 155
 11-12-2017, 11:23 AM
User Info
To me at least the words "casual" and "necktie" don't even belong together... the interpretation of what is casual varies wildly making it hard to answer the question.

3 4,595
 11-12-2017, 12:39 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
You could wear a necktie with a polo/golf shirt if you wanted to.  It would look a bit odd.  I don't think I understand the question.

7 923
 11-12-2017, 12:57 PM
User Info
A tie is a formal piece of attire, and therefore suited for a dress shirt only. It does not pair with a polo or an Oxford button-down - only a dress shirt. That said, you may exercise the option of to wear or not to wear a tie with a dress shirt - I find the latter acceptable in all but the most formal of engagements. The pocket square is a great addition. 

[Image: daniel-craig-grey-suit-white-shirt-spott...-style.jpg]

[Image: daniel-craig-bond-561fa2b55f808.jpg]

29 1,165
 11-12-2017, 01:07 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Casual has many connotations to people - business casual, high fashion casual, evening party casual, wedding casual, etc. 

The shirt has to match
-  the rest of the outfit (coat, pants, tie, shoes, etc) 
-  the event (a Santa Claus shirt may be ok at Christmas, not July 4)

For me, fabric is very important.  A heavy wool deer hunter plaid wool shirt screams many things  - well dressed with tie is not among  those.  Personal opinion,  silk, corduroy, and wool are normally very casual and best without ties.

4 419
 11-13-2017, 07:10 AM
User Info
Ahhh - great question and in my opinion a blue chambray button down screams classic looks with a tie or without one
[Image: fZxnvYw.jpg]

1 10
 11-13-2017, 07:17 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I’m with greatbolo. As an elementary school teacher, I wear jeans or Dockers-style (mostly jeans) pants every day with a shirt and tie. Sneakers or Clarks on my feet. Early in my career I found myself sitting on the floor with the youngest kids in the classroom. Not one to visit the dry cleaner often, I borrowed the casual look from the comedians of the 90s. It’s comfortable and easy to iron/maintain. My collection of neckties is now just south of 100, down from 126 about three years ago. The right tie, the right shirt, a pair of dungarees, it’s all good. But then again I’m not cutting million dollar real estate deals or hob-nobbing with Wall Street tycoons (just molding the next generation).

7 2,298
 11-20-2017, 11:32 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(11-12-2017, 12:57 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: A tie is a formal piece of attire, and therefore suited for a dress shirt only. It does not pair with a polo or an Oxford button-down - only a dress shirt. That said, you may exercise the option of to wear or not to wear a tie with a dress shirt - I find the latter acceptable in all but the most formal of engagements. The pocket square is a great addition. 

[Image: daniel-craig-grey-suit-white-shirt-spott...-style.jpg]

[Image: daniel-craig-bond-561fa2b55f808.jpg]
Mike's got it right. In spite of what you see in offices all around the country, a shirt with a button down collar is NOT a dress shirt. It can have a tab collar or a shirt that uses collar bars, both of which I had many , for those who know what those are. Also, strictly speaking a dress shirt does not have a pocket either. It's been so long I've quite forgotten if french cuffs are a must as well. But I'm thrown by the word "accept". If it has a collar it will "accept" a tie. Technically.

7 2,352
 11-21-2017, 10:30 PM
User Info
No tie with a button-down collar? Let me Google that for you....

A tie is not necessarily formal wear. Traditionally, for men, formal = white tie, semi-formal = black tie, informal = business suit, casual = sport coat. A tie is worn with all of them. There are a multitude of variations on this taxonomy, and the rules evolve over time. Nowadays, you could make a strong case for business attire = arse crack not showing (except for plumbers).  24

0 94
 11-21-2017, 11:17 PM
User Info
You can also find google images of sandals worn with socks, of people eating well-done steaks, of people wearing athletic shoes with suits, with collars outside the coat/sweater, of baggy button-downs worn untucked, of un-shined shoes worn with suits, of un-ironed shorts worn with a tie, ties tied too short/long, the tie clip way too low/high, the tie knot crooked/loose, the tie fabric not matching the rest of the ensemble, the entire tie tucked into the shirt, skinny ties still being worn, tired belts worn with a suit/tie, non-matching coat/pants, etc.

That’s just documentation that it happened, not proof that it’s correct.

29 1,165
 Yesterday, 09:48 PM
User Info
Did you follow the link? When I click on it, I get pictures of people including Cary Grant, Paul Newman, Rod Serling, Bill Buckley, Warren Buffet ... all in button-down collars with ties. Alright, alright, the Buffet picture appears in a column on what not to wear to a job interview. But still, I hear he did pretty well despite this mortal sin. In fact, all of the aforementioned did pretty well, and at least a couple of them are fashion icons. Images aside, if you Google "button-down collar", you'll find plenty of respectable men's-style websites showing those collars worn with ties. It's widely acceptable informal wear, though not for semi-formal or formal occasions.

Personally, I can't stand button-down collars, buttoned or unbuttoned, with or without a tie.

0 94
 Yesterday, 11:03 PM
User Info
I did click the link, and didn’t necessarily want to argue the point further. As much as I respect Cary Grant, Paul Newman, and other founders past (RIP) - they aren’t drivers of today’s style. With regards to the style-websites: you’ve got to consider that they are selling first and foremost (often via advertising), so whatever furthers that agenda gets published. E.G., many of them have lists of “approved” fashion sneakers to be worn with suits. Savages! Wink

29 1,165