11-12-2017, 06:12 PM
User Info
Seller has allot of unobtainable software for sale. One could logically feel it came from WTB, WTT and PIF threads.

Personally, I'm ok with flipping for profit if your the original buyer and see an opportunity on the bay. However, I draw the line on members selling at reasonable prices to allow those that missed a product the chance to own said software just to have their generosity resold by large amounts of dollars.

MOD EDIT: Links to live auctions are not allowed.

0 84
 11-12-2017, 06:17 PM
User Info
Its plain as day in the rules here that you aren't supposed to do it

13 523
 11-12-2017, 06:32 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have sold items to people who have in turn flipped them on eBay. As a seller who is sometimes trying to give people an opportunity to try out items they may have missed out on, I see it as that person taking money out of my pocket. I know how to use eBay. I can, and sometimes do, sell my hard-to-find items at high prices. However, if I choose to sell it on the forums, I've expressly chosen to not maximize my profits and maybe help out a brother here.

Some people don't think it's wrong to take advantage of someone's kindness. They're the same kind of people who wouldn't feel bad about selling someone a brush they know to be a shedder, or covering up a defect on a razor just to get more money for it. I avoid doing business with those people.

22 835
 11-12-2017, 06:39 PM
User Info
Buying on our BST and flipping the item for profit on Ebay or any other site is unethical, violates our rules, and will get you banned here.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=46799

50 6,287
 11-13-2017, 07:47 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
A while back I PIFfed some unloved, partially used software to a member here who posted in WTB. Not too long thereafter it was packaged with some similar items and the goods were sold in lots to benefit a local charity. It wasn’t a really big deal, but I would have appreciated the member being up front with his intentions.

7 2,293
 11-13-2017, 09:34 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Some times you buy or given items that after used one time - obviously not you.  

I traded two soaps I used once for two other soaps.  I liked the main soap I received.  The soap I sent, the person disliked the scent on one and stated the other soap make him sick.  I saw them on B/S/T and hope he did OK - I liked his soap which was originally for sale.

I also have sold razors on B/S/T - too mild or kickstarter and sold fairly cheap to friend.  Both razors on his SOTD posts.  I noticed after  6 months the razors were for sale.  Again, the person tried the razors  and had valid reason for selling.  Vaguely recall selling at slight profit - no big deal.  

I have a PIF soap now used twice.  I understand the reason for the PIF and including paying shipping to get rid of the soap.  I would not sell the soap but might list with others as freebie.

4 418
 11-13-2017, 11:53 PM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 06:32 PM)chamm Wrote: I have sold items to people who have in turn flipped them on eBay. As a seller who is sometimes trying to give people an opportunity to try out items they may have missed out on, I see it as that person taking money out of my pocket. I know how to use eBay. I can, and sometimes do, sell my hard-to-find items at high prices. However, if I choose to sell it on the forums, I've expressly chosen to not maximize my profits and maybe help out a brother here.

Some people don't think it's wrong to take advantage of someone's kindness. They're the same kind of people who wouldn't feel bad about selling someone a brush they know to be a shedder, or covering up a defect on a razor just to get more money for it. I avoid doing business with those people.

This is my thoughts on it. I don't think I've often had anything of more value than I've sold here, but that's beside the point. More often than not I'm going to list something here on the BST and pass it on to someone to enjoy at a good price, plus I can sell it for a bit less and get more than what I could have on eBay. Being part of the community and interacting with the people are worth more than any profit I could make.

23 652
 11-14-2017, 02:46 PM
User Info
If your looking to day trade by all means go do that for a living , if your looking to buy items off gents that are selling items at fair prices to a community of friendly people with the unspoken agreement that this is what we have been doing since the day 1 , there’s no place for you here. Seriously go find somewhere else to make money , start your own supply store , stop buying things from me I intend for gents that may not have a lot of money and would appreciate nice items for an affordable price. If your not making enough money to leave the few dollars alone you make flipping shave gear you obviously should not spend the time on the forums and pick up some more work to support yourself. Stop being greedy this is not what these forums were about it’s petty and off putting in my opinion.

61 1,584
 11-14-2017, 05:38 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-14-2017, 02:46 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: If your looking to day trade by all means go do that for a living , if your looking to buy items off gents that are selling items at fair prices to a community of friendly people with the unspoken agreement that this is what we have been doing since the day 1 , there’s no place for you here. Seriously go find somewhere else to make money , start your own supply store , stop buying things from me I intend for gents that may not have a lot of money and would appreciate nice items for an affordable price. If your not making enough money to leave the few dollars alone you make flipping shave gear you obviously should not spend the time on the forums and pick up some more work to support yourself. Stop being greedy this is not what these forums were about it’s petty and off putting in my opinion.
Once again, well said, Sir.

7 2,293
 11-15-2017, 05:23 AM
User Info
I would not do it but have no control over what others do.

0 153
 11-15-2017, 11:53 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
If I sell something to someone, it is no longer mine, and I have zero say in what happens afterwards.
This means I need to be wise in who I sell to, as well as be prepared for the one who will slip through the cracks.
But, if a person violates the rules of this forum and it can be proven, appropriate action should be taken.
For me, if he/she buys from me, does not like, and sells at a higher price on the 'bay to fund a different purchase, I have no issue. The intent was honest at purchase. It's the ones doing it multiple times that are at issue here. Once or twice under the situation I just described is fine with me.

2 1,688
 11-15-2017, 12:17 PM
User Info
Lot's of good comments here.  I would prefer that if I sold something on the BST and the buyer didn't like it, that they'd attempt to sell on the BST first before moving elsewhere.  One sees this pretty regularly now with folks bumping for a period of time and then indicating they are moving to a different outlet.  That being said, stuff happens.  I agree with the above that one needs to be mindful of who one is selling to as well.  I've had nothing but good experience on the BST, both acquiring and selling, and view it as a real asset for affordably and confidently being able to experiment with hardware and pass it on if it doesn't work out.

18 1,673
 11-15-2017, 12:58 PM
User Info
(11-15-2017, 11:53 AM)SRNewb Wrote: If I sell something to someone, it is no longer mine, and I have zero say in what happens afterwards.
This means I need to be wise in who I sell to, as well as be prepared for the one who will slip through the cracks.
But, if a person violates the rules of this forum and it can be proven, appropriate action should be taken.
For me, if he/she buys from me, does not like, and sells at a higher price on the 'bay to fund a different purchase, I have no issue. The intent was honest at purchase. It's the ones doing it multiple times that are at issue here. Once or twice under the situation I just described is fine with me.

Once someone buys something, they can do whatever they want with it.

0 193
 11-16-2017, 11:24 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(11-15-2017, 12:58 PM)bkatbamna Wrote:
(11-15-2017, 11:53 AM)SRNewb Wrote: If I sell something to someone, it is no longer mine, and I have zero say in what happens afterwards.

What they can do is one thing, what they should  do  and should feel a moral obligation to do is another.  The lack of a sense  of moral obligations and social  responsibility  seems  to be plaguing  more  than  just  online forums.

7 2,352
 11-16-2017, 12:25 PM
User Info
(11-16-2017, 11:24 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(11-15-2017, 12:58 PM)bkatbamna Wrote:

What they can do is one thing, what they should  do  and should feel a moral obligation to do is another.  The lack of a sense  of moral obligations and social  responsibility  seems  to be plaguing  more  than  just  online forums.

Just as I have a moral obligation to pay as little in taxes as possible, I have a moral obligation not to sell something for less money than I can get.  If someone else wants to sell it for less than it is worth, fine by me but that is their choice.  I don't want to hear their moral indignation if someone else doesn't want to do that.
We are talking about items that are purchased for a hobby, not life and death.

0 193
 11-16-2017, 12:43 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-16-2017, 12:25 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: Just as I have a moral obligation to pay as little in taxes as possible, I have a moral obligation not to sell something for less money than I can get.

Rubbish. There's nothing "moral" about either of those things. I consider the first wise, but it is not a matter of right or wrong. And it is definitely not a "moral obligation" to get the most money one can for everything one sells--in fact, there can be moral reasons not to do so.

60 849
 11-16-2017, 01:23 PM
User Info
(11-16-2017, 12:43 PM)greyhawk Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 12:25 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: Just as I have a moral obligation to pay as little in taxes as possible, I have a moral obligation not to sell something for less money than I can get.

Rubbish. There's nothing "moral" about either of those things. I consider the first wise, but it is not a matter of right or wrong. And it is definitely not a "moral obligation" to get the most money one can for everything one sells--in fact, there can be moral reasons not to do so.

And I agree to disagree.

0 193
 11-16-2017, 02:18 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-16-2017, 01:23 PM)bkatbamna Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 12:43 PM)greyhawk Wrote:

And I agree to disagree.

Indeed. Even though we disagree, I appreciate your contributions to the discussion.

60 849
 11-16-2017, 04:36 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(11-16-2017, 12:25 PM)bkatbamna Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 11:24 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(11-15-2017, 12:58 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: Once someone buys something, they can do whatever they want with it.

Just as I have a moral obligation to pay as little in taxes as possible, I have a moral obligation not to sell something for less money than I can get.  If someone else wants to sell it for less than it is worth, fine by me but that is their choice.  I don't want to hear their moral indignation if someone else doesn't want to do that.
We are talking about items that are purchased for a hobby, not life and death.

Nice paper tiger construct, but there's no "moral indignation" going on on my part. And with that I'll make a mental note to stick with talking about shaving.

7 2,352
 11-17-2017, 09:06 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I see it both ways, people buy stuff cheap on eBay then flip for a profit on the B/S/T forums and visa versa.  It bothers me, but with all the problems in this world that I'm hoping to solve, this falls far down the list.  It would be a nightmare as a moderator to try and monitor this so it is best to report these actions directly to a moderator so that actions can be taken.  I want good deals to go to good people, but sometimes that ideal is lost, at least the intent was proper.

145 2,809