11-17-2017, 12:32 PM
User Info
(11-17-2017, 09:06 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I see it both ways, people buy stuff cheap on eBay then flip for a profit on the B/S/T forums and visa versa.  It bothers me, but with all the problems in this world that I'm hoping to solve, this falls far down the list.  It would be a nightmare as a moderator to try and monitor this so it is best to report these actions directly to a moderator so that actions can be taken.  I want good deals to go to good people, but sometimes that ideal is lost, at least the intent was proper.

I don't see it as a problem that needs solving. 
Someone buys something for a mutually agreed price and then sells it for a mutually agreed price.

0 193
 11-17-2017, 12:35 PM
User Info
[quote pid='839715' dateline='1510878964']
Nice paper tiger construct, but there's no "moral indignation" going on on my part. And with that I'll make a mental note to stick with talking about shaving.
[/quote]

You may not have been but someone has brought up morality in this thread.  When a buyer and seller make a transaction at a mutually agreed price, that is moral.

0 193
 11-17-2017, 12:37 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(11-17-2017, 12:32 PM)bkatbamna Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 09:06 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I see it both ways, people buy stuff cheap on eBay then flip for a profit on the B/S/T forums and visa versa.  It bothers me, but with all the problems in this world that I'm hoping to solve, this falls far down the list.  It would be a nightmare as a moderator to try and monitor this so it is best to report these actions directly to a moderator so that actions can be taken.  I want good deals to go to good people, but sometimes that ideal is lost, at least the intent was proper.

Someone buys something for a mutually agreed price and then sells it for a mutually agreed price.

Indeed the action itself is very American, there is nothing wrong with capitalism.  Disregarding rules put in place to prevent such actions is just plain rude and should be dealt with.

145 2,809
 11-17-2017, 02:51 PM
User Info
This is a great discussion, for sure.  For what it's worth, people need to play by the rules.  If something's purchased through a B/S/T where flipping is prohibited, breaking that rule should very properly result in that person's being banned.  Period.  Paragraph.  End of letter. 

On the other side, we've had several of our brushes listed on eBay at substantial premiums.  Because of pseudonyms, I can't tell if they were listed by original purchasers; but my feeling is that we were fairly paid based on the skills and time involved in creating the work.  So if others are willing to pay a premium for it (although I think it's silly), I take no offense.

2 632
 11-17-2017, 03:25 PM
User Info
(11-17-2017, 12:37 PM)blzrfn Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 12:32 PM)bkatbamna Wrote:

Indeed the action itself is very American, there is nothing wrong with capitalism.  Disregarding rules put in place to prevent such actions is just plain rude and should be dealt with.

This is a different issue.  By all means the people who run this forum have a right to ban anyone for any reason.
(11-17-2017, 02:51 PM)BSWoodturning Wrote: This is a great discussion, for sure.  For what it's worth, people need to play by the rules.  If something's purchased through a B/S/T where flipping is prohibited, breaking that rule should very properly result in that person's being banned.  Period.  Paragraph.  End of letter. 

On the other side, we've had several of our brushes listed on eBay at substantial premiums.  Because of pseudonyms, I can't tell if they were listed by original purchasers; but my feeling is that we were fairly paid based on the skills and time involved in creating the work.  So if others are willing to pay a premium for it (although I think it's silly), I take no offense.

Having ready made items for sale stops most people for paying a premium but you know what they say about fools and money.

0 193
 11-17-2017, 03:33 PM
User Info
The best remedy for artisans not wanting their products sold for more than retail is to have enough stock for people who want to buy.

0 193
 11-17-2017, 08:24 PM
User Info
I’ll happily eat my words if someone were to sell me a bbs1 or a non-guerrilla wolfman for retail.

0 193