11-14-2017, 10:07 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I don't collect just shaving gear, but an assortment of other objects, too many to bore you all with, however, I thought members might like a little Aboriginal Australian object-making just for an interesting change. What I have here is a tourist boomerang, doubtless, but authentic nonetheless. Traditional boomerangs wouldn't have had carvings/motifs like this (as you can see: kangaroos and Mallee or Mulga tree, bearing either flowers or fruit). 

This one is hand-fashioned from Mulga and is quite elaborate insofar as it is carved for actual flight. It is hard to show the way in which the wood is curved (and I don't mean the 'bend' in the shape) so that it would fly a fair distance when thrown just the right way, and, doubtless, return. It has 'aerofoil' qualities, therefore, and quite superb in its craftsmanship. Returning boomerangs were used for fun, and not just for hunting small game and birds. They were not used to fell kangaroos and such. This example has 'flight' in mind, however, and isn't just any old tourist object.

This item comes from the North West of Western Australia (I think, but I could be wrong), home to traditional land owners of the Kimberley region. I know that in the southern part of WA, where I grew up, the traditional Noongar peoples' name for boomerang is "Kylie". 

Pictures:

[Image: 3kgvS5L.jpg]
[Image: gmVgkfk.jpg]

0 1,817
 11-14-2017, 10:42 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Impressive !!  Amazing carving and artwork. Any idea of the age?

4 419
 11-14-2017, 10:51 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Ah, yes, well, opinion varies between 1920s and 1970s.  I guess there could be a range. I see one listed in you-know-where stated as being 1920s (personally, I don't think so) and they are asking a very exaggerated  amount for it, around $400 US including postage. I don't think so. It's a British antiques dealer hoping to take advantage of a naive market. If they can sell it for that much, great, but I have great reservations about the claims this person is making. I paid about $7.50 US, but I admit I did get quite a bargain. I am not a seller or dealer. The $$ don't matter to me. I just love it as an object. Traditional boomerangs are truly superb and absolutely do fetch high prices. I'd like to see some form of remuneration going back to traditional land owners/makers.

I have tried to show the curve in the photo below, but it doesn't really do the workmanship justice.

[Image: HqBNdJl.jpg]

0 1,817
 11-15-2017, 03:53 AM
User Info
Very cool Shaun.  Do you know how to throw a boomerang?

50 6,291
 11-15-2017, 04:14 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-15-2017, 03:53 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Very cool Shaun.  Do you know how to throw a boomerang?

Something about a bear in the woods...? Smile

0 1,817