11-15-2017, 02:52 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Look what my brother bought for almost NOTHING. I thought I was Schnäppchen-Meister...(excuse the German...)

27 sticks dating to circa 1950. He's sending me six, lucky boy that I am.

Could they be Speick? Could they be Speick with TALLOW???

Time will tell, and I will update when I get my hands on these goodies. May take some time, as they are coming from Germany to Western Australia, then to me in Sydney. 

Pictures:

[Image: ycVl0iN.jpg]
[Image: yLKtyfF.jpg]
[Image: mNObAcg.jpg]

0 1,880
 11-15-2017, 04:29 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Wow!  Nice score.  Please keep us updated once you've had a chance to use a stick a few times.

9 1,512
 11-15-2017, 09:33 AM
User Info
OMG that's a mind blowing score!!
Speick sticks are awesome and are firmly in my top 3 soaps of all time!
I can only imagine how awesome Speick sticks from the 50's would be!

Congrats Shaun! Lucky boy indeed!!

0 97
 11-15-2017, 10:01 AM
User Info
I assume your brother is distributing the rest to the TSN membership?  let me know where to send my address!  Smile

Great find, please report back after you get them.

22 1,925
 11-15-2017, 02:44 PM
User Info
Wow, amazing find and lucky you. Please report back on the scent (if any remains) and color. I wonder if ol' Walter changed the formula over the years or if Speick is Speick. Enjoy!

2 131
 11-15-2017, 03:11 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
That's a pretty nice score there Shaun!  I have some vintage shave sticks but haven't used them much as I'm not a big fan.  However, the one I have tried (Williams in Bakelite holder) was pretty impressive.  I find that I enjoy the experience more if I load the brush on the stick rather than rubbing the very hard stick on my face.

152 2,842
 11-15-2017, 04:38 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I don’t know whether or not they are Speick. The just say “ Walter Rau”. I’ll report, of course! Smile

0 1,880
 11-19-2017, 09:00 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Great score!

3 2,641
 11-20-2017, 05:17 AM
User Info
Any thoughts on the sticks yet Shaun?

0 97
 11-20-2017, 05:22 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Haven't got my hands on them yet. When I do, I'll let you know.

0 1,880
 12-06-2017, 12:29 AM
User Info
Feinseifenwerk Walter Rau was the name of the company when it was founded in 1928. I can't tell you when they officially changed the name to Speick Naturkosmetik but they began putting emphasis on the Speik plant as an ingredient during the 60s. Also the Verbraucherpreis given in DM suggests that they were produced after 1948. I can only venture a guess, but I would think they were produced during the 50's or maybe early 60's. 
Oh, and btw: current Speick sticks do contain tallow as well. Wink

0 4
 12-06-2017, 12:32 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(12-06-2017, 12:29 AM)hraban Wrote: Feinseifenwerk Walter Rau was the name of the company when it was founded in 1928. I can't tell you when they officially changed the name to Speick Naturkosmetik but they began putting emphasis on the Speik plant as an ingredient during the 60s. Also the Verbraucherpreis given in DM suggests that they were produced after 1948. I can only venture a guess, but I would think they were produced during the 50's or maybe early 60's. 
Oh, and btw: current Speick sticks do contain tallow as well. Wink

Thank you for this information. I am still waiting to receive them, but my brother has let me know that they smell very strange indeed Smile NOT herbal, like Speick, ha ha. I'll let you know Smile

0 1,880
 12-06-2017, 06:25 AM
User Info
Wow, that's a lot of information from just the company name.

8 1,211
 12-07-2017, 09:46 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Ok, well, the sticks arrived today and I was expecting slight disappointment regarding at least the smell, but...not so bad! What do they smell like? Plasticine, that's what. Remember plasticine? Smile

I soaked one stick in warm water so I could peel the old, stuck-on paper away, popped it into an old Palmolive stick holder and it looked like this: (apologies it's out of focus, but it's more the colour...

[Image: w9eS4s3.jpg]

After ten seconds lathering with a humble little Commodore:

[Image: VZJFcNl.jpg]

After 15 seconds:

[Image: eELNQR8.jpg]

I kept going a while longer and ended up with a very thick, long-lasting lather, very cushiony, very slick indeed. Pics don't do justice, but a very good quality soap, IMO. Smell could be better, but as I say, not bad considering the age. Not bad at all. It doesn't have that 'laundy soap' odour you so often find in old shaving soap. This certainly has its own characteristics. Tallow for sure. The lather has a slightly interesting colour tone, too. Not sure if you can pick that up. It's certainly not snow white, anyway Smile

I'm giving it an 8 out of 10, but only because of the lack of  beautiful scent. Tabac, Yardley and vintage Floris each get a 9. Nothing's perfect Smile I've never used Old Spice, though. One day I'll pick up a puck.

0 1,880
 12-09-2017, 10:43 PM
User Info
(12-07-2017, 09:46 PM)Shaun Wrote: Ok, well, the sticks arrived today and I was expecting slight disappointment regarding at least the smell, but...not so bad! What do they smell like? Plasticine, that's what. Remember plasticine? Smile

I soaked one stick in warm water so I could peel the old, stuck-on paper away, popped it into an old Palmolive stick holder and it looked like this: (apologies it's out of focus, but it's more the colour...

[Image: w9eS4s3.jpg]

After ten seconds lathering with a humble little Commodore:

[Image: VZJFcNl.jpg]

After 15 seconds:

[Image: eELNQR8.jpg]

I kept going a while longer and ended up with a very thick, long-lasting lather, very cushiony, very slick indeed. Pics don't do justice, but a very good quality soap, IMO. Smell could be better, but as I say, not bad considering the age. Not bad at all. It doesn't have that 'laundy soap' odour you so often find in old shaving soap. This certainly has its own characteristics. Tallow for sure. The lather has a slightly interesting colour tone, too. Not sure if you can pick that up. It's certainly not snow white, anyway Smile

I'm giving it an 8 out of 10, but only because of the lack of  beautiful scent. Tabac, Yardley and vintage Floris each get a 9. Nothing's perfect Smile I've never used Old Spice, though. One day I'll pick up a puck.

Wow nice!!

That lather after just 15 seconds already starting to look very good. I can only imagine how it was after being fully developed!

Lucky you!!

0 97
 01-08-2018, 05:41 PM
User Info
Thanks for the update, very interesting. Enjoy!

2 131