08-29-2012, 10:02 AM
User Info
While it seems that most men agree that extra large knots are too big for faces, it seems to me that extra large knots would be perfect for legs.

True or not true? 26mm+ knots hold more lather and make lathering your legs easier than a smaller knot.

9 2,988
 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I've not used a large knot other than the omega 10049 which is a bore.
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Omega-10...p_211.html

I didn't like it and I think it ended up in the trash. But I think it was more because the boar bristles were stiff and also the loft was really high.
Overall Height: 126 mm
Loft: 63 mm
Knot: 25 mm

Now my other brush that I use often is a 24mm knot and that is a silvertip. I don't remember the loft of it as I got it from Tony at penworks. To me that is rather floppy for leg lathering. But I'm currently using it because I can't find my other favorite. But I think if it has more backbone that would be a nice size. Or even bigger, but I don't want to fork out the money on a brush I may not like. So I haven't done that yet.

My other favorite brush is another from Tony but it's a smaller brush just 20 mm with a shorter loft. But I also think I like it because it has a nice backbone to it. It's a Pure Badger. But it takes awhile to lather because it does have a small knot.
verall height 91mm,
handle 46mm
loft 45mm

I also have the ladies AOS brush that I think they have discontinued now. But it has that odd angle to the handle. But I don't know the diameter of that knot but it's a short loft as well. But to me the angle of the handle makes it difficult to use. But I think if I hadn't started out with a regular handle I might feel different. It just feels odd in the hand. So I really don't use that brush often.

Does that help you out some?
I'm sure Pam will pipe-up with her opinion which will most likely be different than mine!

7 405
 08-29-2012, 10:29 AM
User Info
Interesting. Why the desire for more backbone?

9 2,988
 08-29-2012, 10:43 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I'm talking badger here of some type rather than boar. I've not had good luck with boars but then I've just had cheaper ones. Oh and I also have the VDH one as well, but I don't know what size knot that is. But that would be a larger one but to me it's stiff or maybe that is just my preference showing.

But with the larger knots and badger especially the silvertip it gets floppy for lack of a better word to describe it. At least with the 24mm silvertip brush that I do have. But I do like the softness of a badger. But when lathering the back of the leg I find that it helps when your lathering so you can do some circular motions rather than flopping it around left and right paint brush style.

So for me I think the ideal leg lathering brush would be a best badger since that has a bit more backbone than the silvertip, but a shorter loft and larger in diameter. (It seems that all the large diameter brushes have a high loft.) A handle that is shorter also because it would fit in the hand nicer for going around to the back of the calf and thigh to lather.

7 405
 08-29-2012, 10:57 AM
User Info
Hmm, so a Chubby 2 would, in theory, be the ideal brush. Either super or best. A 2 band in a longer loft would also be ideal. Probably Rooney Heritage 2XL in Finest.

That's interesting. Not at all what I expected to hear. Looking forward to more perspectives.

9 2,988
 08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Oh wow I didn't know that the large knotted brushes came in a shorter loft!!! But ouch the price tag. Time to start saving or else a good thing to spend part of my christmas money on that i get from my dad every year.

But that is what perked my interest in the shorter lofted brushes was the simpsons chubby 1. But I didn't want to fork out that much on a brush I may or may not like. So I got a brush at penworks that had a similar size.

Are you thinking of producing a brush for the ladies?

7 405
 08-29-2012, 11:25 AM
User Info
(08-29-2012, 11:22 AM)krissy Wrote: Are you thinking of producing a brush for the ladies?

I have thousands of ideas. But to be honest, ladies brushes are way down on the list because the market is so small and from my polling of women, they are generally very lazy and don't care at all about the experience. Hence, they are totally satisfied with cream in a can.

That said, producing a larger version of the Stubby is up next after my next introduction of brushes.

9 2,988
 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
ladies... man's brush, it's all the same. The dimensions are what counts the most.

If it was a pink brush, I don't think i would buy it!!!! Call me silly.

But your right there are a lot of females who are quite happy with the stuff that comes out of the can. They don't know what they are missing out on!!!

what dimensions are you thinking, not exact just ballpark?

7 405
 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM
User Info
(08-29-2012, 11:45 AM)krissy Wrote: ladies... man's brush, it's all the same. The dimensions are what counts the most.

If it was a pink brush, I don't think i would buy it!!!! Call me silly.

But your right there are a lot of females who are quite happy with the stuff that comes out of the can. They don't know what they are missing out on!!!

what dimensions are you thinking, not exact just ballpark?

Yeah, absolutely no plans whatsoever to produce a pink brush. Color swirls, maybe.

24mm & 26mm knot. Same loft as a Shavemac DO1 in that size. No clue on handle shape at this point as I'm limited to what's in stock at the handle factory.

9 2,988
 08-29-2012, 04:10 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Krissy, I agree with Lee. May I suggest you try out a Rooney 2XL? It really is a wonderful brush with a 28mm knot. It's not floppy, and super luxurious. The price tag is high, but it's really a top notch performer, my wife can attest.

9 408
 08-29-2012, 04:11 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Extra larger knots are also good for head shaving...

86 7,123
 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM
User Info
SHORT dense knots for badger, SHORT average knot for the boar. I reknotted a Rubberset brush with a boar knot. This brush has the longer "bowling pin" shaped handle. The original knot was too long and blekkkk. Just didn't work well.

1 345
 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
So it seems i'm not the only one a fan of short knots for legs..... That's good to know!

7 405
 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM
User Info
For leg shaving, I generally prefer brushes with longer handles and knots in the 24-26mm range. My all time favorite handle is the M7. But I also use my brushes in the shower to clean, massage, and exfoliate my face. For that, I like a pretty wide range of brushes.

0 73