11-15-2017, 07:29 AM
User Info
Hello. I have some confusions about shaving bowls. There are a lot on the market. I know that lather bowls(like Captain's Choice for example) are for creating shaving lather. Shaving scuttles are for soaking the brush in. What about the other bowls and mugs ? How do I know if a mug is for a cream or a soap?

0 108
 11-15-2017, 08:26 AM
User Info
Scuttles can also be used for lathering, and like bowls and mugs can be used with either cream or hard soaps. Pretty much a case of anything goes and taste dictates.

3 5,531
 11-15-2017, 09:40 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Scuttles also keep the lather warm during the shave, for about 20-25 minutes depending on the temperature of the water.

57 2,216
 11-15-2017, 09:56 AM
User Info
I have both and prefer the warm lather a scuttle provides.

22 790
 11-15-2017, 10:50 AM
  • hush
User Info
I use a hammered copper bowl for all lathers. Scoop soap/cream from the tub, smear in the bottom, and bowl lather. Finish on the face or head. Load triple milled soap directly from the puck lather in the bowl. There are some great ceramic bowls, but I don’t worry about dropping the metal bowl.

0 30
 11-15-2017, 11:31 AM
User Info
(11-15-2017, 10:50 AM)hush Wrote: I use a hammered copper bowl for all lathers. Scoop soap/cream from the tub, smear in the bottom, and bowl lather. Finish on the face or head. Load triple milled soap directly from the puck lather in the bowl. There are some great ceramic bowls, but I don’t worry about dropping the metal bowl.

May I ask where you got it?

15 604
 11-15-2017, 12:44 PM
  • hush
User Info
(11-15-2017, 11:31 AM)22bulldog Wrote:
(11-15-2017, 10:50 AM)hush Wrote: I use a hammered copper bowl for all lathers. Scoop soap/cream from the tub, smear in the bottom, and bowl lather. Finish on the face or head. Load triple milled soap directly from the puck lather in the bowl. There are some great ceramic bowls, but I don’t worry about dropping the metal bowl.

May I ask where you got it?

Hammered Mule

0 30
 11-18-2017, 06:47 PM
User Info

hush,

You really can not apply much heat to a metal bowl and it does not retain what heat might be applied.

I like my lather quite warm - a steady 91F.

It is good that there are plenty of excellent bowls to suit all tastes and preferences.

Mickey

0 69
 11-18-2017, 07:58 PM
  • hush
User Info
(11-18-2017, 06:47 PM)mickeyobe Wrote:

hush,

You really can not apply much heat to a metal bowl and it does not retain what heat might be applied.

I like my lather quite warm - a steady 91F.

It is good that there are plenty of excellent bowls to suit all tastes and preferences.

Mickey

True. Very nice. 91F lather is precise. Sounds like it it may be difficult to regulate/maintain. Scuttle with a integrated thermometer? A heating element? I do run hot water in the bowl prior to lathering. Cup it in the hand while lathering and it holds heat enough for a head or face shave. Some shaves are warmer than others, but never put much into increasing/maintaining/preserving lather temp even when I used a ceramic apothecary type mug. Going to give 91F a shot.

0 30
 11-18-2017, 09:08 PM
User Info
hush,

See Scuttle Mug Recommendations. 
The last entry for a picture of my bowl.

0 69
 01-07-2018, 08:53 AM
User Info
I have a Moss scuttle and  use a ceramic decanter/pitcher (with a narrow neck and stopper to help retain the heat)  filled with boiling water. I fill my scuttle(top and bottom bowls) and soak my brush in top bowl, Then jump in the shower. After showering I dump out my scuttle and refill bottom bowl,  load my brush and lather in top bowl, the lather stays nice and warm  long enough  for a 3 pass shave.

0 15
 02-06-2018, 08:24 AM
  • Skulmoski
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Canadian living in Gold Coast
User Info
Hello

My shaving bowl is a hand hammered, antique Tibetan Singing Bowl similar to the image below:
http://www.ahhhmuse.com/uploads/6/1/7/6/...9_orig.jpg

It stays warm and brings back fond memories of my visits to Boudhanath, Kathmandu l each morning when I use it to lather.

Perhaps you might find a suitable shaving bowl by repurposing something you already own or find something in an antique store that you repurpose for a shaving bowl. 

Good luck

GJS

0 7