11-15-2017, 08:40 PM
User Info
For my last 4 shaves since I received the new L2 plate from Blackland, I have been alternating between these 2 razors to see what the difference is between the two during and after shave. These are my 2 absolute favorite razors right now over all of the razors that i own and I own just about every make and model of modern SE and DE razor.
First off, there have been 3 modern GEM razors released recently and in my opinion, the ATT G1 razor can’t compare to these 2 beasts. Even with the new “modified” more aggressive plate being offered.
Now, on to the quality of the Shave. I can honestly say that both of these razors give me the closest and longest lasting BBS quality shave I have ever had. Both razors are extremely comfortable to use and both are extremely efficient razors that don’t leave me with any nicks, weepers or irritation. I know that some people have had issues shaving with the Rocnel but I have tried in the past to figure out how to uncenter the blade or how some have cut themselves with the edge of the Rocnel and I have never had any issues with it.
I use light short strokes with both of these razors and I get an outstanding result every time I shave with either razor. The Sabre makes a bit more noise than the Rocnel but both razors are so smooth, I really found it hard to listen for things like that. I tried to use the same soaps (Grooming Dept. and CRSW) and also the same Manchurian brushes with each shave. I would say the winner by a slight nose is the Sabre L2 because of ease of loading the blade compared to the Rocnel. I own both colors of the Rocnel and I actually prefer the brushed stainless version to the original black titanium coated one.
I always do a 2.5 pass shave and I found both razors extremely easy to maneuver because of the sizes of the heads. I have also changed the handles on both razors and found the sweet spots with the handles that I decided to use with them. The handle on the Sabre is one I had made by Marley Machine Works in titanium and it works extremely will with the Sabre. The handle on the SE-G is a handle that I found somewhere that has a ton of grip and enough weight to make it work perfectly with the Rocnel.
I’m including some pics of the two razors and I can say you can’t go wrong with either! The Sabre L2 is easier to get right now and both of these razors are examples of expert machining and very unique designs that just work!! Buy one or buy both! You will not be disappointed by either. I welcome your questions and observations.[Image: ac7ca40ab4535b38b404494f2e617eaa.jpg][Image: 3fc29b260bd2c3ab69cbf7f5e2ebfbb3.jpg][Image: c194257b087e9157c0d0d18d6e406172.jpg][Image: 046f61da56082226dcc0bce2e18615dc.jpg][Image: 3e33d143524127ea41fd51533e7c69a2.jpg][Image: 80f93e2615b92f77d5325f07362e8fef.jpg][Image: 8871065ced730944da9a394cd2f1d07d.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,206
 11-15-2017, 08:46 PM
User Info
Very interesting to hear your thoughts and to see these two side by side.  The designs are so dramatically different in terms of assembly and form factor.  I didn't get on with the Rocnel but that's YMMV for sure.  I've enjoy using the Sabre L2.

BTW, the handle on your Sabre is a beast!  Smile

23 1,938
 11-16-2017, 02:58 AM
User Info
Nice write-up and pictures.

53 8,233
 11-16-2017, 04:14 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Thanks for the comparison and the side by side pictures.

10 1,729
 11-16-2017, 04:56 AM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
I value your insight, thank you for sharing.  If the Rocnel had a closed comb version I would give it a try.

0 299
 11-16-2017, 05:17 AM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
Interesting.  In my opinion the Roncel design is fundamentally flawed but I loved using it.  

Moderator Note:  Link to website not affiliated with TSN removed.

I'll be placing an order for the Sabre L2 as soon as a polished version is available.  Everything I've read about it suggests I'll love it too.

1 233
 11-16-2017, 06:36 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Both are nice razors.
I find the Sabre lvl2 to be easier to use i.e. more forgiving.

102 18,712
 11-16-2017, 06:58 AM
User Info
(11-16-2017, 05:17 AM)P.B Wrote: Interesting.  In my opinion the Roncel design is fundamentally flawed but I loved using it.  

Moderator Note:  Link to website not affiliated with TSN removed.

I'll be placing an order for the Sabre L2 as soon as a polished version is available.  Everything I've read about it suggests I'll love it too.

Yep, I read a lot of that thread and every other review on the Rocnel when it came out and I tried to get the blade to move after tightening the screw and could not, even tipped the razor slightly up on each side to see if I could get it to nick me and couldn’t. Neither one of mine have had any issues but everyone is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,206
 11-17-2017, 08:36 AM
User Info
I shaved today with the Sabre @2 and the SE-G. I will not describe yet another shave as there are several by more competent writers than me. The Sabre left me quite impressed with its looks and performance. The perfect Gem razor that will be the jewel in my collection and on perpetual rotation.
The SE-G as efficient and smooth as the Sabre, cut me in a few places and so deeply, the blood would not stop flowing. I don't even know why or how this happened as I was watching every move with it. It was loaded correctly, both sides evenly spaced in the head.
One more comment on the SE-G. Right out of the box, the blade would just not slip in and got stuck a quarter of the way in either side. The problem was solved after lubrication and working a blade in and out a few times. It's a razot that got me curious and want to master it.
Post shave, there was no irritation save for the cuts, which puzzles me no end.

0 448