11-19-2017, 05:51 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I keep a daily shave log. What I used, by the blade I write the number for usage, 3, 6, 10, 20, etc, how it turned out, closeness, number of weepers, everything.

7 2,359
 11-21-2017, 09:55 PM
User Info
I use golf counters, a different color for each razor in my regular rotation. When I went over to AC blades exclusively and started getting 20-30 shaves per blade, I wanted an easy way to keep track of this amazing number of shaves per blade. These little counters work like a charm.

[Image: hvHSxWrl.jpg]

0 99
 11-22-2017, 07:57 AM
User Info
I change every Monday so the blade has 5-7 uses.  If I want to see how long I can "stretch" a blade, I use 20 sided dice.  If I want to change razors during the week I use the same blade- only one blade in use at a time.

0 46
 11-22-2017, 03:45 PM
User Info
(11-16-2017, 06:57 AM)BigT Wrote: This may be in the wrong area folks, if it is I apologize. My question is, how do YOU know how many times you've used a certain blade? Dice, numbered cup hook, only use blade once so no worries? Etc.  Sometimes I forget and just toss the blade, need a solution.

I must be a simple and boring guy. I use one razor, one brush, one puck of soap (I try different artisans/scents, but once the puck is in the bowl, that's my soap until it is gone), and one blade at a time (that is I don't rotate different blades). So I don't need crowd counter, dice, etc. I change my blade every 4-5-6 shaves--sometimes a different brand/type, other times just a new blade, same brand. So you'll never see my SOTD; it's more like SOTW or SOTM. But I'm curious--why do some of us rotate blades daily, etc?

0 9
 12-01-2017, 04:46 AM
User Info
(11-22-2017, 03:45 PM)dkdonin Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 06:57 AM)BigT Wrote: This may be in the wrong area folks, if it is I apologize. My question is, how do YOU know how many times you've used a certain blade? Dice, numbered cup hook, only use blade once so no worries? Etc.  Sometimes I forget and just toss the blade, need a solution.

I must be a simple and boring guy. I use one razor, one brush, one puck of soap (I try different artisans/scents, but once the puck is in the bowl, that's my soap until it is gone), and one blade at a time (that is I don't rotate different blades). So I don't need crowd counter, dice, etc. I change my blade every 4-5-6 shaves--sometimes a different brand/type, other times just a new blade, same brand. So you'll never see my SOTD; it's more like SOTW or SOTM. But I'm curious--why do some of us rotate blades daily, etc?
I think it's to keep from getting bored. I myself try to use the same razor and soap, or cream for atleast a week. That way I can learn if that particular combination is going to work for me.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6 633
 12-04-2017, 07:40 AM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
I usually shave every other day, so in any given week I will shave 3 or 4 times. This seems to be the right amount of shaves for the blades I'm using, so I just remember at the end of the week to change my blade. I do it every Sunday night. If you can find something routine like that, it will be easier to remember.

0 50
 12-04-2017, 07:59 AM
User Info
(11-18-2017, 04:53 AM)chazt Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 12:45 AM)motto Wrote: As I usually have several blades in rotation, I use dices to count usage. My den is an old farmacy cabinet made of steel and glas. I use rubber coated magets to hold the blades on the back wall of the cabinet and the dices are placed in front showing the number of uses on the top face. The magnets are about 15 mm in diameter and 3 mm high. The rubber coating prevents from any form of corrosion on magnet, blade and steel back wall of cabinet.

[Image: IMG_4585.jpg]

Best Regards
Marco

Wow, Marco! You keep a lot of blades in rotation. Very interesting.

what happens with a big morning sneeze?  ah choo!

76 1,331
 12-04-2017, 03:11 PM
  • BigT
User Info
(12-04-2017, 07:40 AM)TN4 Wrote: I usually shave every other day, so in any given week I will shave 3 or 4 times. This seems to be the right amount of shaves for the blades I'm using, so I just remember at the end of the week to change my blade. I do it every Sunday night. If you can find something routine like that, it will be easier to remember.

Yep! No more multiple blades in rotation for me. One per week, not counting SE's. Thanks to all for input. Picked up a big pair of dice too.

0 12
 12-05-2017, 08:36 PM
User Info
Wetshaving is both a privilege and an indulgence.

A privilege once one realizes how much money one saves over the tyranny of cartridge costs.

An indulgence once one realizes how vastly superior wet shaving is over the disappointment of cartridges.

Frankly, one could put in a fresh blade for the WTG pass, put in another fresh blade for the XTG pass, and yet a third fresh blade for the ATG pass and still spend less money than with a single cartride, and yet enjoy the ultimate indulgence of the perfect BBS shave.

But meh, that's a lot of blade changes.  

My point is simply this - it really doesn't matter, cost-wise or comfort-wise when one changes their blade.  If you think it's time - or if you simply feel like changing it, you'll always be better off than having to make a similar decision with cartridges.  No point fussing over when - just roll the dice if that's your bent and do it.  Smile

0 401