11-18-2017, 11:56 AM
User Info
I recently acquired my first 2 Plisson brushes and was hoping for some help dating them. Please pardon the lack of vibrancy in the pictures as I was using natural light and its pretty cloudy out today. 

The first on the left is a #3 (or #12) with a 22mm x 56mm knot and came with it's original box and the knot was unused by my judgement. The seller got it from an estate and claimed it was a contemporary model, although I'm not sure of their experience with shaving brushes. It does look similar to the current horn brushes available on the Plisson site. However, the box still has a price tag and it says "400.00" with no currency symbol. Current retail for this model is 425 Euros or about 500 USD. I am hoping the price will give a hint as to the production year. Does anyone know about how long ago this model would have retailed for 400.00 (Euro?).

The second brush is quite small with a 16mm x 51mm knot but surprisingly firm. The owner said it came from a family in France and may have been from the 60s. I searched around and have not seen any other examples of this model. 

Plisson is completely new to me so I'm hoping some of the experienced Plisson users at TSN can help with dating them. Thank you in advance!

[Image: wnonvAI.jpg]
[Image: nUIUgcg.jpg]

45 1,253
 11-18-2017, 11:58 AM
User Info
Dont have any info to provide unfortunately Rob but that 22mm has a beautiful knot. Congrats on the finds my friend.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

120 1,042
 11-18-2017, 12:16 PM
User Info
They both look in very nice condition. I would guess the shape on the right is possibly older, maybe 80's but I have no idea. I see the shapes on the left often and seem to think that is what they prefer to make nowadays.

I am sure you will enjoy both! I have to say they are really beautiful and love Plissons! Cheers!

83 1,608
 11-18-2017, 02:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Dating two Plissons? Sounds kinky.

10 3,121
 11-18-2017, 03:03 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Great-looking brushes. I have had limited success myself in dating véritable ancien/d'epoque Plissons blaireau de rasage, en corne... etc etc.

If you do manage to find out, I'll be reading this thread with interest.

I have written to Plisson to see if I can extract information about my own little old beauty, and will let you know if I hear anything from them. Plisson seems not to have historical catalogues, and neither do they seem ever to have advertised in the magazines of the time. I'd say the brush on the right might be dated to the 70s, but who knows?

0 1,983
 11-18-2017, 03:18 PM
  • hush
User Info
(11-18-2017, 02:19 PM)chazt Wrote: Dating two Plissons? Sounds kinky.

Beat me to it.
Never date two Plissons at the same time! Looks like neither is red headed, but still playing with fire...

0 33
 11-18-2017, 03:58 PM
User Info

+1

0 190
 11-18-2017, 07:27 PM
User Info
(11-18-2017, 11:58 AM)essrbc11 Wrote: Dont have any info to provide unfortunately Rob but that 22mm has a beautiful knot. Congrats on the finds my friend. 

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Thanks Eric!

(11-18-2017, 12:16 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: They both look in very nice condition. I would guess the shape on the right is possibly older, maybe 80's but I have no idea. I see the shapes on 
the left often and seem to think that is what they prefer to make nowadays.

I am sure you will enjoy both! I have to say they are really beautiful and love Plissons! Cheers!

Thank you, Zac! I believe you are right that the smaller brush is quite a bit older. So far I am very pleased with both brushes.

45 1,253
 11-18-2017, 07:29 PM
User Info

And both blond Smile It seems there is a lot of material to work with here!

45 1,253
 11-18-2017, 07:30 PM
User Info
(11-18-2017, 03:03 PM)Shaun Wrote: Great-looking brushes. I have had limited success myself in dating véritable ancien/d'epoque Plissons blaireau de rasage, en corne...

If you do manage to find out, I'll be reading this thread with interest.

I have written to Plisson to see if I can extract information about my own little old beauty, and will let you know if I hear anything from them. Plisson seems not to have historical catalogues, and neither do they seem ever to have advertised in the magazines of the time. I'd say the brush on the right might be dated to the late 70s, but who knows?

I read your Plisson post (http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=51281). Lovely brush. I'll certainly share anything I can find and will look for your discoveries as well.

45 1,253
 11-19-2017, 06:49 AM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info

While on this tangent, if I may... I can't help but notice every time I see it...
The graphics on the packaging... borrowed from the Kama Sutra?

[Image: 18b4b5737dd1339abbc8e798e115f5e9.jpg]

82 3,445
 11-20-2017, 08:48 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I think I owned the one on the right and sold it to a Facebook member in November 2016. If its the same brush, I bought it from an Etsy seller in July 2016 who advertised that it was from the 80's.

The brush was beautiful, but tiny. Like a Wee Scot, only classier. I kept looking at it, but didn't reach for it very often. In the 4 months I owned it, I only used it a few times. It still looked brand new.

The hair was fine, but took some restoration as some of the outer hairs were brittle. I had used it for some months, but sold it since it was too floppy for me, much too small and I needed the money for Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

86 1,676
 11-20-2017, 01:46 PM
User Info
(11-20-2017, 08:48 AM)Crag Wrote: I think I owned the one on the right and sold it to a Facebook member in November 2016.  If its the same brush, I bought it from an Etsy seller in July 2016 who advertised that it was from the 80's.  

The brush was beautiful, but tiny.  Like a Wee Scot, only classier.   I kept looking at it, but didn't reach for it very often. In the 4 months I owned it, I only used it a few times.  It still looked brand new.

The hair was fine, but took some restoration as some of the outer hairs were brittle.  I had used it for some months, but sold it since it was too floppy for me, much too small and I needed the money for Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, Matt. I'm pretty sure its the same brush. It's definitely small, and probably too small for me to use on a regular basis. I bought it to get my feet wet with the brand and the knot displays the characteristic deeply dark band with very white tips that I have always wanted to try. We'll see if it stays in the collection long term. So far I enjoy looking at it and it did perform well in a few consecutive shaves. I didn't find it floppy at all at the time but this can be subjective. 

Can you share more about what was involved in the restoration that you mentioned?

45 1,253
 11-20-2017, 03:46 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
For the bristle restore I used warm coconut oil and water.  I warm the coconut oil, add some water, then shake that up like salad dressing.  I wet the brush and shake dry.  I add the coconut oil/water mix to a bowl and then dip the brush in getting all the bristles wet.  Then I "lather" it in my hand lightly, back and forth.  You can get a good slurry going if you whip enough.  I let that stand on its base for 25 minutes so the oil penetrates the knot.  Then I wash with Dawn, and repeat it.  Last step is a soak in high quality conditioner.  I use Garnier Fructise, but most any good one will do.

Then I wash with dawn, shake dry and wrap with tissue to draw the moisture out and return shape to the knot.  I have done this with many knots and also natural bristle hair brushes and it works wonders for old hair.

You can also use Argan oil, but a tiny vial of that costs as much as a pound of coconut oil and they work about the same. My dad dealt in furs, so this is his recipe, not mine.

86 1,676
 11-20-2017, 04:03 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
To be honest, the guy you bought the smaller Plisson from probably knows more about the brand than all of us put together.  If I had to guess I would say the first is from the last decade (2000s).  The second one is definitely older, but how much so I know not.  DrP is another brush collector that might shed some light, but I'm not sure if anybody has successfully been able to put a date to the various decals with concrete evidence.

156 2,880
 11-21-2017, 02:26 PM
User Info
(11-20-2017, 03:46 PM)Crag Wrote: For the bristle restore I used warm coconut oil and water.  I warm the coconut oil, add some water, then shake that up like salad dressing.  I wet the brush and shake dry.  I add the coconut oil/water mix to a bowl and then dip the brush in getting all the bristles wet.  Then I "lather" it in my hand lightly, back and forth.  You can get a good slurry going if you whip enough.  I let that stand on its base for 25 minutes so the oil penetrates the knot.  Then I wash with Dawn, and repeat it.  Last step is a soak in high quality conditioner.  I use Garnier Fructise, but most any good one will do.

Then I wash with dawn, shake dry and wrap with tissue to draw the moisture out and return shape to the knot.  I have done this with many knots and also natural bristle hair brushes and it works wonders for old hair.

You can also use Argan oil, but a tiny vial of that costs as much as a pound of coconut oil and they work about the same. My dad dealt in furs, so this is his recipe, not mine.

This is good to know in case I purchase another vintage brush down the road. In case anyone is wondering, and not that it would be expected, but I detect no residue from the oil treatment. It feels great.

45 1,253
 11-21-2017, 02:32 PM
User Info
(11-20-2017, 04:03 PM)blzrfn Wrote: To be honest, the guy you bought the smaller Plisson from probably knows more about the brand than all of us put together.  If I had to guess I would say the first is from the last decade (2000s).  The second one is definitely older, but how much so I know not.  DrP is another brush collector that might shed some light, but I'm not sure if anybody has successfully been able to put a date to the various decals with concrete evidence.

Appreciate your insights. Thanks Dave. I am very excited about the #12 after a few shaves. Been holding off on picking up a Plisson due to the price combined with reports of scritch in the modern models. Backbone is moderate compared to the typical brush I use, but it's definitely not floppy. And no scrtich detected.

45 1,253
 11-21-2017, 10:13 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
You can thank Dawn Dish Detergent.  It is gentle and takes all the oil out.

86 1,676