11-19-2017, 09:56 AM
User Info
Good day everyone,

Let me start by thanking Larry for reaching out and putting the time and effort into this project.  Larry is too humble to hype and glamorize his products and I appreciate his tactic of just letting things speak for themselves.  

When Larry asked me to test his new soap base I said yes and was skeptical as his current formula in my opinion is pretty solid.  That said I was not provided any real information on the soap.  Not until after I had used it for a week did Larry and I talk about how different this soap is.  I am telling you straight away this is not like anything else on the market currently available...So heres some detail...

The tub of soap that was provided was unscented.  This too me is very important because if you have a pleasant olfactory response your mind subconsciously will fill in the performance defects and give a false positive.  A neutral scent provided my review to receive merits based only on performance.  

What you get in the tub is a soap that is void of any water... It is not an ingredient in this soap.  The consistency is a hard croap.  I imagine it will set up and be quite firm over time.  

Lather:  As with all of Larry's soap this lathers very easily.  I did not bloom the soap but rather just began using a hydrated badger brush.  I swirled for about thirty seconds, adding bits of water here and there.  I went to the face and continued to lather adding water.  I will tell you that this soap will take A LOT of water and has a very wide range of effective saturation.  What I settled on was what looked like vanilla ice cream melted from a Friday night movie marathon on the couch with the dog..  As a test of lather stability prior to my first shave I palm lathered the soap and making the same consistency I just described, squeezed the knot out and set the glob of lather in a clean dry mug and left it there.  The next morning, the day of my first shave I inspected the lather and you all know that gas station chili that you look at, scrape the top off and there lies the good stuff....  That is what I experienced.  The lather looked the same, had a mild crust on it and when I poked through it still had a creamy lather.  So lather stability in my book receives five stars.  

Shave:  I have made mention in other threads I have very sensitive skin but facial hair like copper wire.  Over the years I have established I need a very very slick soap or I will get razor burn.  I typically use XPEC or Santa Maria Novella, Baume. Be is also in this mix and in my opinion are the three slickest soaps on the market.  What I experienced with this soap is a startle and sudden disappointment in my own ability.  I thought I forgot to put a blade in my razor.  No I did not!!  I literally did not feel the blade cutting my hair.  The slickness of this soap is hard to believe.  I finished with my first pass and in an experiment I splashed my face off with water, rubbed the little lather that was left on my neck around the rest of my face and did a second pass across the grain.  The razor slid effortlessly across my face, NO drag period.  I rinsed off for the third, squeezed the left over lather out of the knot and said what the hell, rubbed my face and did a third pass against the grain.  To my dismay the razor streaked across my face.  I rinsed off and had absolutely no sign a razor had just been drug across my face three times.  This is a very bold claim but the slickness of this soap is higher than XPEC and SMN. Period.  

Post shave:  I live in Nevada and it is very dry here.  I typically use some type of balm at least three out of the four days I shave.  Reading the ingredient list the skin conditioning properties should be more than adequate so again to give this soap a run for its money I chose to use no aftershave splash, balm or anything just rinsed my face with water and towel dried.  Went to work for ten hours got home and throughout the day I never had any dry spot itchy or really any feeling, face just felt good.  The post shave of this soap is impressive in the sense it is neutral.  If you have oily or dry skin, like a balm or a splash this soap leaves the face in a very neutral position for either.  My face did not feel heavy or greasy or overly dry.  It just felt conditioned and balanced.

As a conclusion the two areas that this soap shines and I am talking shines like the sun is the slickness.  It is really unbelievable how slick this soap is.  Second is post shave.  I don't know any other word other than neutral to describe how my face was left feeling.  It just felt balanced and healthy.

I know I have made some pretty bold statements and there are endless people giving glowing reviews like mine but I would encourage you guys to give this a shot.  I truly think Larry has made a soap base that is like nothing else on the market.  I have tried all the big name brands and all the artisan brands, some that get hype beyond belief and I can honestly say this soap is a game changer.  

I used the same brush and razor for the last two weeks.  Morris & Forndran 24mm Polo, Charcoal Goods solid bar level one with a Feather blade.  

Well Done Larry

20 1,380
 11-19-2017, 10:03 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Interesting.  I like what I'm reading here.

47 1,965
 11-19-2017, 10:40 AM
User Info
Sounds like Larry has formulated another winner

30 568
 11-19-2017, 11:03 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I was also fortunate enough to be able to test this wonderful soap, and I agree with everything Nevada Red said about it. I primarily shave with straights, and slickness is extremely important. Although there is probably more to it, I've always felt slickness was a quality of an adequately hydrated lather, and boy does this soap hold water! I tend to slowly build my lather, starting with a slightly damp brush and swirling on the puck 30 - 60 seconds, then taking the paste to my face and slowly adding water until the lather is of a shiny, yogurt consistency. I was surprised by the amount of water I could add to this lather, without it breaking down, and was amazed at the rich, voluminous, luxurious lather that was produced. I don't think that I've ever used a soap with this much cushion and glide, providing for a very comfortable shave. The lather was also very stable, pass after pass. Out of habit, I always use an aftershave followed by a balm, but purposely used neither during my testing. A sight slickness remained after my shave and cold water rinse, and hours later my face still felt soft, as if I'd used one of my favorite balms. This soap is as good as any soap that I have used (I'm too embarrassed to say how many that is), and probably better. I can't recommend this soap highly enough, and am eagerly awaiting it's release.

38 5,238
 11-19-2017, 06:46 PM
User Info
There have been great reviews on this soap on two threads.  I'm definitely looking forward to the release of this new CRSW line.

51 6,628
 11-20-2017, 06:26 AM
User Info
I received a unscented sample with instructions for lathering and testing various aspects. Ive read a few of the reviews and saw people asking questions about the consistency. Thats a hard one to answer. I can easily scoop out a portion of soap with my finger like a cream or load from the top of the soap in the tub. Both work fine but I prefer to load from the tub so thats what I did for the majority of my shaves.

I’m a not so new straight shaver and slickness is my most desired trait. This soap is slick with a capitol S! I've used a fair number of soaps and honestly, none compare to this one in slickness. After my first pass the residual slickness was darn apparent. If I was using a traditional razor I would have no issue doing a second pass without applying another coat of lather. 

Protection is excellent. As instructed I swiped my finger down my cheek after first pass and re lather. First the slickness hit me and drove home the point once again this was a super slick soap but also a feeling of cushion almost like my finger was meeting resistance to my skin. 

The consistency of the lather is otherworldly. Shiny, wet but still incredibly thick. As instructed I loaded a dryish brush for around thirty seconds and then applied a coating to my face. From there I started adding water and easily built a beautiful, shiny, wet lather. I’m a slow, careful straight razor shaver and the lather stayed a shimmering wet on my face. My face can handle two passes max and the second pass was uneventful and same as the first.

Post shave is very, very good. Not oily or greasy in the least. I did not use any post shave products with my test shaves and felt no dryness or tightness. Skin felt great, very moisturized

This is a soap unlike any other I’ve used. Hard to describe in a few words what makes it different but it is, trust me. CRSW did their homework in making this one without a doubt.

0 174
 11-20-2017, 06:42 AM
User Info
(11-20-2017, 06:26 AM)bennett Wrote: I received a unscented sample with instructions for lathering and testing various aspects. Ive read a few of the reviews and saw people asking questions about the consistency. Thats a hard one to answer. I can easily scoop out a portion of soap with my finger like a cream or load from the top of the soap in the tub. Both work fine but I prefer to load from the tub so thats what I did for the majority of my shaves.

I’m a not so new straight shaver and slickness is my most desired trait. This soap is slick with a capitol S! I've used a fair number of soaps and honestly, none compare to this one in slickness. After my first pass the residual slickness was darn apparent. If I was using a traditional razor I would have no issue doing a second pass without applying another coat of lather. 

Protection is excellent. As instructed I swiped my finger down my cheek after first pass and re lather. First the slickness hit me and drove home the point once again this was a super slick soap but also a feeling of cushion almost like my finger was meeting resistance to my skin. 

The consistency of the lather is otherworldly. Shiny, wet but still incredibly thick. As instructed I loaded a dryish brush for around thirty seconds and then applied a coating to my face. From there I started adding water and easily built a beautiful, shiny, wet lather. I’m a slow, careful straight razor shaver and the lather stayed a shimmering wet on my face. My face can handle two passes max and the second pass was uneventful and same as the first.

Post shave is very, very good. Not oily or greasy in the least. I did not use any post shave products with my test shaves and felt no dryness or tightness. Skin felt great, very moisturized

This is a soap unlike any other I’ve used. Hard to describe in a few words what makes it different but it is, trust me. CRSW did their homework in making this one without a doubt.

Very good review, I am in agreement with everything you said. It is hard to convey how much of a game changer this soap is!!

20 1,380
 11-20-2017, 07:16 AM
User Info
Full Ingredient List:

Stearic Acid, Aloe Vera Juice, Potassium Hydroxide, Kokum Butter, Shea Butter, Tallow, Cocoa Butter, Glycerin, Sunflower Oil, Castor Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Organic Goat Milk, Jojoba Oil, Bentonite, Rice Bran Oil, Fragrance, Silk Protein, Citric Acid

30 568
 11-20-2017, 07:27 AM
User Info
(11-19-2017, 09:56 AM)Nevada Red Wrote: Good day everyone,

Let me start by thanking Larry for reaching out and putting the time and effort into this project.  Larry is too humble to hype and glamorize his products and I appreciate his tactic of just letting things speak for themselves....

I appreciate your thorough notes on this! Looking forward to picking up a tub on Wednesday once it's out and trying it for myself.

7 83
 11-20-2017, 12:25 PM
User Info
(11-20-2017, 07:27 AM)Maha0098 Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 09:56 AM)Nevada Red Wrote: Good day everyone,

Let me start by thanking Larry for reaching out and putting the time and effort into this project.  Larry is too humble to hype and glamorize his products and I appreciate his tactic of just letting things speak for themselves....

I appreciate your thorough notes on this! Looking forward to picking up a tub on Wednesday once it's out and trying it for myself.

Same here! Looking at Olfactory Hue and Madmans.

0 103
 11-22-2017, 08:57 PM
User Info
I know I’m late to the party but I’ll share my impressions.

I also had the privilege of testing this new base.

I’ll keep it short.

It’s the slickest most protective base I have used.

Easy to lather and the lather once hydrated is dense and stable.

I’ll tell y’all something I did try.

Upon rinsing my face I realized how much residual slickness I still had.

So....

I did my first with the grain pass.

Rinsed and then relathered for my across the grain pass.

Then felt confident and rinsed my face and without reapplying lather shaved against the grain using the residual slickness.

And it worked.

Now don’t try this but I’m only telling y’all due to the fact I have never tried anything like this before.

Great stuff!

I look forward to receiving the first three scents.

Well done Larry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82 2,261
 11-23-2017, 04:55 AM
User Info
Anyone compare GLIDE to any Grooming Dept. soaps yet? Very interested to see how the slickness compares. I ordered all 3 scents and I have 12 different soaps from Grooming Dept. and 10 Select soaps from CRSW. Love both but Grooming Dept has the slickness and residual feel on lock right now. Everyone is commenting on the slickness of GLIDE and I cannot WAIT to try it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 994
 11-23-2017, 06:49 AM
User Info
I tried grooming dept in a pass-around (the tallow/duck fat formula, Credence and Ambrosia), and didn’t find slickness to be a defining trait. Glide has it beat in spades there, but that’s not really fair - as Glide is one of the slickest soaps I’ve ever used.

29 1,269
 12-03-2017, 08:19 PM
User Info
Quote:This is a very bold claim but the slickness of this soap is higher than XPEC and SMN. Period.  
Wow. Will have to lather this up tomorrow!

24 685
 12-04-2017, 07:30 AM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
I will have the opportunity to try some Grooming Dept soap soon, and should be able to get some Glide as soon as it is re-stocked so that I can compare the slickness on the two.

2 75
 12-10-2017, 06:46 AM
User Info
(11-23-2017, 06:49 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I tried grooming dept in a pass-around (the tallow/duck fat formula, Credence and Ambrosia), and didn’t find slickness to be a defining trait. Glide has it beat in spades there, but that’s not really fair - as Glide is one of the slickest soaps I’ve ever used.

I agree 100%. GD makes excellent soap and is in my Top 5 now but in terms of slickness it does lag behind Glide.

0 103
 01-04-2018, 01:15 PM
User Info
(11-20-2017, 06:42 AM)Nevada Red Wrote:
(11-20-2017, 06:26 AM)bennett Wrote: I received a unscented sample with instructions for lathering and testing various aspects. Ive read a few of the reviews and saw people asking questions about the consistency. Thats a hard one to answer. I can easily scoop out a portion of soap with my finger like a cream or load from the top of the soap in the tub. Both work fine but I prefer to load from the tub so thats what I did for the majority of my shaves.

Very good review, I am in agreement with everything you said.  It is hard to convey how much of a game changer this soap is!!

Agree 100%! 

Post shave on Glide is is astonishingly good. I've used the cream on every shave for 14 days in a row and my skin is looking and more importantly feeling fantastic. I also use the CRSW lotion every other shave since I really like how that makes my skin feel. Combined it's an awesome routine!

1 163