08-29-2012, 12:35 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250215.JPG?m=1346099626]

I couldn't be more happy with this brush.I must admit : this have been a very nice "surprise" and I find this brush even better than the D.R. Harris H1 best badger shaving brush. and truly,an "all rounder brush " ,like the Simpson Duke 3 best badger or the Semogue SOC two band.Enough said.

[Image: P1250216.JPG?m=1346099629]

This brush was purchased 6 years ago by our friend Johnny , and like the H1 model , seems that it was made by Rooney.Its labeled as best badger but this hair is not even close to the regular best badger that we know,and its also different than the best badger offered by Simpson.

[Image: P1250217.JPG?m=1346099631]

Im surprise that these H old series were labeled as best badger hair : this hair is very close to the shavemac D01 silvertip or even the Semogue LE 2010 selected silvertip.In fact,its more like the selected silvertip hair : soft tips ,a tiny little bit of scritch,perfect flow and good backbone,due to its high density of hair,as you can see in this pic :

[Image: P1250219.JPG?m=1346099637]

and you can see it here with the Semogue LE 2010 selected silvertip.Compare how similar are both badger hairs :

[Image: P1250230.JPG?m=1346270718]

The handle is very,very ergonomic,if you have both small,medium or even big hands.Also has a nice,classic design ,like the good made in UK brush that it is.

Its measures are (approx.)

-24 mm knot
-52 mm loft
-9.5 cm total heihgt.

[Image: P1250218.JPG?m=1346099628]

As I said at the beginning of this article : this is an all rounder brush.Has almost the perfect size ,the hair doesn't blooms too much when wet , has the perfect amount of hair , so it doesnt hog lather , good flow and backbone and soft tips with a little bit of scritch.

I have used it with hard triple milled soaps and shaving creams ,both making lather on a scuttle and face lathering and I feel that I have another Semogue LE 2010 or a shavemac D01 silvertip.I think that I have said a lot about this brush.

[Image: P1250229.JPG?m=1346270719]

This brush has a price of 70 pounds (around 110 dollars ,cheaper than the Simpson Duke 3 best badger and more expensive than the Semogue SOC ) which is a very good price , if you find a brush this the same kind of badger hair.

86 7,123
 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste. It seems like an excellent brush indeed.
And it looks lovely!

2 5,532
 08-29-2012, 04:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Teiste, I am so glad you are enjoying those two brushes.

173 23,535
 08-29-2012, 08:02 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-29-2012, 04:27 PM)Johnny Wrote: Teiste, I am so glad you are enjoying those two brushes.

Im truly enjoying them,Johnny! Thanks a lot!

86 7,123
 09-02-2012, 06:38 AM
User Info
Another informative review to add to the earlier post regarding the D.R. Harris H1 best badger shaving brush. Thanks to both Johnny and Teiste.

How do the current D.R. Harris shaving brushes compare to the one reviewed here and who makes the current brushes for D.R. Harris?

0 3,341
 09-02-2012, 10:22 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-02-2012, 06:38 AM)jaguar Wrote: Another informative review to add to the earlier post regarding the D.R. Harris H1 best badger shaving brush. Thanks to both Johnny and Teiste.

How do the current D.R. Harris shaving brushes compare to the one reviewed here and who makes the current brushes for D.R. Harris?

I dont know about the new D.R. Harris but I doubt they have the "luxurious" badger hair that both of these brushes have.And people think that are made by Rooney but D.R. Harris doesnt confirm it , so I dont know either.

86 7,123
 09-02-2012, 12:25 PM
User Info
They sure look like Rooney handles. The only other company that looks similar is M&F, but I doubt Mr. Sabini has the capacity to fulfill those orders. That or that's the reason he's so busy.

9 2,988
 09-02-2012, 01:52 PM
User Info
Depending on the range. D. R. Harris have several shaving brush ranges.
One of them is this one, the H series, and it is probably made by Rooney.

Other ranges, like this S best range or the S silvertip range, seem to be rebranded EJ's.

That is something common among the Jermyn St. and St James traditional shops; sometimes several ranges they offer under their brand name, come from several different manufacturers.

2 5,532
 09-15-2012, 01:56 AM
User Info
Just arrived from England, a D. R. Harris H2 Best badger

[Image: 11837326ej.jpg]

Well, I got to say that everything that "Mr. T" Biggrin says above is true, this is really like silvertip - in fact, I had silvertips with tips not as soft as this one...

The handle is not of the same colour as Teiste's, mine has a colour very similar to the typical faux ivory English handles, like the Simpson's ones....

[Image: 11837327lf.jpg]

...my brush has a slightly lower loft, something around ~48mm, which should make it a soap killer! The tips are really soft, much softer than the ones of my Duke 3 best.

Just for the sake of curiosity, here's the instruction sheet that came with the brush:

[Image: 11837328rb.jpg]

2 5,532
 09-15-2012, 06:21 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Emanuel , thanks a lot for the pics! It seems that the have lower the loft , at least , by 4 mm but the hair quality is still the same which is good.Yes,that looks more than a silvertip badger hair than what we all consider best badger hair , unless that the brushes are made by Simpson instead of Rooney and I have been fooled in that one...only one person of this forum could answer that.

Also it seems that my pics doesn't reflect the true color of the handle ,since yours have the same color than mine but I dont have the brush here with me right now.

How is the density of this brush?Is it like or less than your Duke 3?

It seems to me that you have a brush very,very similar to the current Simpson Duke 3 brushes.

86 7,123
 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM
User Info
Emmanuel's picture is more color accurate. My review will come tomorrow.

9 2,988
 09-15-2012, 11:00 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-15-2012, 01:56 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Well, I got to say that everything that "Mr. T" Biggrin says above is true, this is really like silvertip - in fact, I had silvertips with tips not as soft as this one...

Hi Emanuel

That is really good to hear Biggrin

I heard from my mum today, my DRH3 (long story, DRH2 ordered, DRH3 shipped) arrived at her house in the UK yesterday and she will be putting it in the post to me as early as sometime next week...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-15-2012, 12:24 PM
User Info
(09-15-2012, 06:21 AM)Teiste Wrote: Emanuel , thanks a lot for the pics! It seems that the have lower the loft , at least , by 4 mm but the hair quality is still the same which is good.Yes,that looks more than a silvertip badger hair than what we all consider best badger hair , unless that the brushes are made by Simpson instead of Rooney and I have been fooled in that one...only one person of this forum could answer that.

I thought of that. But then again, I saw this post by Fido (Peter), and my brush also looks very similar to that one - of course the hair may be different (super vs best) - but they have the same handle, and also same knot and loft measures. It seems that these specs (measures) were common in the Rooney Stubby range.

Also it's a clearance item, so who knows how long it has been in stock at Elms' House? It may not reflect the current offering of D. R. Harris H2 brushes.

(09-15-2012, 06:21 AM)Teiste Wrote: Also it seems that my pics doesn't reflect the true color of the handle ,since yours have the same color than mine but I dont have the brush here with me right now.

Oh, that explains it! Blush Ooops, I thought that your brush was plain white, like the T&H ones! Laughing1

(09-15-2012, 06:21 AM)Teiste Wrote: How is the density of this brush?Is it like or less than your Duke 3?

I would say that it is very close, but then again...

(09-15-2012, 06:21 AM)Teiste Wrote: It seems to me that you have a brush very,very similar to the current Simpson Duke 3 brushes.

...the tips are way softer than the tips of my Duke 3 (24mm knot and 50mm loft), like I've said above.

Overall I'm very pleased with this brush - a nice amount of backbone, soft tips, and it lathers like crazy!

2 5,532
 09-15-2012, 12:59 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
You're gonna like that brush a lot,my friend...you will see.

86 7,123
 09-15-2012, 02:50 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Rats I missed out on one.

116 3,804
 09-16-2012, 09:23 AM
User Info
(08-29-2012, 12:35 PM)Teiste Wrote: I couldn't be more happy with this brush.I must admit : this have been a very nice "surprise" and I find this brush even better than the D.R. Harris H1 best badger shaving brush. and truly,an "all rounder brush " ,like the Simpson Duke 3 best badger or the Semogue SOC two band.Enough said.

I think this is a very accurate statement and I cannot disagree. The loft is long enough to work in a bowl or in your hand. The glue bump is sunk into the handle. Meanwhile the density is good enough to give the brush enough backbone to face lather.

Quote:This brush was purchased 6 years ago by our friend Johnny , and like the H1 model , seems that it was made by Rooney.Its labeled as best badger but this hair is not even close to the regular best badger that we know,and its also different than the best badger offered by Simpson.

Im surprise that these H old series were labeled as best badger hair : this hair is very close to the shavemac D01 silvertip or even the Semogue LE 2010 selected silvertip.In fact,its more like the selected silvertip hair : soft tips ,a tiny little bit of scritch,perfect flow and good backbone,due to its high density of hair,

Yup. It's definitely Rooney Silvertip. Also definitely Rooney style 1. The handle is different as it is made from a slightly different sort of plastic/resin than the new stuff. It also appears to have been lathe turned.

Quote:The handle is very,very ergonomic,if you have both small,medium or even big hands.Also has a nice,classic design ,like the good made in UK brush that it is.

Its measures are (approx.)

-24 mm knot
-52 mm loft
-9.5 cm total heihgt.

Agreed.

Quote:As I said at the beginning of this article : this is an all rounder brush.Has almost the perfect size ,the hair doesn't blooms too much when wet , has the perfect amount of hair , so it doesnt hog lather , good flow and backbone and soft tips with a little bit of scritch.

I have used it with hard triple milled soaps and shaving creams ,both making lather on a scuttle and face lathering and I feel that I have another Semogue LE 2010 or a shavemac D01 silvertip.I think that I have said a lot about this brush.

You know what, I'm feeling lazy. I agree with this statement.

The bulb is more fan shaped and blooms very nicely. When loaded, the brush maintains a very nice area on the face.

9 2,988
 09-16-2012, 12:38 PM
User Info
Mine is now starting to bloom. Cool

[Image: P1060764.jpg]

Soft tips, and a very good amount of backbone, due to its high density.
The tips are very close in softness than the ones of my T&H/Rooney 1/3 silvertip.

I am really enjoying this brush, and right now, my Duke 3 is green with envy... Laughing1

2 5,532
 09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Man,that looks like a good brush!

86 7,123
 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
Beautiful brushes & super soft hair grades from D R Harris ...

... and made by Rooney you say Huh

Funny old world Wink

1 630
 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
And the plot thickens.Undecided

173 23,535