11-20-2017, 08:39 AM
User Info
I think we're done with Photobucket. 

I'm curious to know what others here consider to be the best alternative for the long-run. That means viable business model and a trustworthy ethos. Not looking to get something for nothing, but don't want to set ourselves up again to have photos held hostage for ransom in perpetuity.

3 1,042
 11-20-2017, 09:47 AM
User Info
 11-20-2017, 10:54 AM
User Info
(11-20-2017, 08:39 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: I think we're done with Photobucket. 

I'm curious to know what others here consider to be the best alternative for the long-run. That means viable business model and a trustworthy ethos. Not looking to get something for nothing, but don't want to set ourselves up again to have photos held hostage for ransom in perpetuity.

A NAS - network attached storage - on my home network, doubled with dropbox for files I want to share. Imgur works well on the 'Nook, and is integrated in the toolbar for posting.

3 4,800
 11-20-2017, 11:27 AM
User Info
I'm a total newbie on this...but I've just moved to google photos.  It isn't very user friendly for forum posting though, so appears to involve multiple additional steps to get a pic into a thread. Might just be my inexperience though.  Otherwise I like it.  There is a free and a paid version.

I like the idea of a NAS at home...as I want to have copies of all my photos in hand, and not just in the cloud.

22 1,921
 11-20-2017, 01:11 PM
User Info
I dropped Photobucket about a week ago, the adds were just getting way to much so I to am looking for an alternative.

6 1,430
 11-20-2017, 05:08 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
What's really annoying is when you are researching an item, say on Google images, find what you're looking for, click on the image and you go to the photobucket no-no whatsit. Meh. Same with other sites like Pinterest, Worthpoint (probably good if you're a subscriber...but I'm not). I've learned to avoid them in my searches. Too many wild-goose chases.

0 1,877
 11-20-2017, 06:08 PM
User Info
I use SmugMug.com It offers amateur and professional level storage. No ads!

16 2,009
 12-28-2017, 07:57 AM
User Info
(11-20-2017, 06:08 PM)cosmicshaver Wrote: I use SmugMug.com It offers amateur and professional level storage. No ads!

Late to the party but this is my solution as well. I left photobucket in 2009 and had an Imgur plan (cheap but not free). I loved imgur but they did away with the pay plans and are getting worse and worse at sharing images from a photography standpoint. They are too busy mimicking reddit with all the commenting and junk. And their upload app is getting worse with time. I pay about $100/year on smugmug but it’s set up like a folder system on windows. Drag and drop, labeling, moving etc. Plus, the user interface for customers looks like a custom website. I’m not photographer for hire, I’m just the family photographer for fun. This has made sharing and printing photos easier than anything I’ve done before. My moms who’s almost 70 and doesn’t internet often has even figured it out.

0 255