Poll: Gillette Mach 3 VS Gillette Mach 3 Turbo VS Gillette Sensor Exel
 11-21-2017, 02:34 AM
User Info
What are the differences between them? And what shaves faster and closer?
I have a very heavy + dense beard
Thank you very much...

0 76
 11-25-2017, 06:30 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I don't use carts currently, but I used to use Sensor Excel from probably 1997-2013.
Even though this was the era when they kept adding more blades, I always found the Sensor Excel (2 blades) to be best of all of them. IMO, the more blades = the worse it gets.

Sensor Excel has 2 blades. Fins and lube strip.

M3 has 3 blades.

M3 Turbo has 3 blades that are different spec than regular M3. Supposedly sharper.

I tried all three types this past Spring and found that Sensor Excel is still the best cart (of these, at least), the M3 was still okay. But I got much more irritation with the M3 Turbo. Not sure why.

Then I realized (again): all carts suck compared to DE.

Find a good razor (like Rockwell 6s and put in the best blades, like Gillette Platinums or Polsilver Super Iridium), and you'll never think about carts again.

82 3,487
 11-25-2017, 08:01 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Of those, I prefer the sensor as well. . Just a more comfortable shave, while still efficient.

I prefer the Fusion manual over the Excel, however.

The Mach 3 “Sensitive” is also very good and i think the best of the M3 carts.

174 1,634
 01-11-2018, 05:35 PM
User Info
I have just shaved with a fresh Mach3. I have a close smooth shave. However, I can probably just get a close shave with either a Quattro Titanium, EasyFit 3 (Hydro 3 Mk1), or the current Hydro 3.

0 309
 02-26-2018, 04:38 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Plain Mach 3 and plain Sensor work very well for me. I don’t see the point of Turbo or Excel. After many years of DE and SE shaving I went back to the Mach 3 and Sensor for a closer, irritation free shave.

9 1,053
 02-26-2018, 06:28 PM
User Info
I dumped all my 60+ DE razors after going back to Carts (mach3 and Fusion) with my new found technique after realizing that carts gave me the better shave compared to all the DE razors I owned from 2011-2016, and I owned pretty much every high end DE razor you can buy for money.

Yes, you need to rinse your cart 20-25 times during a shave to avoid it from clogging
Yes, if you don't strop your cart frequently, you need to change it every 4-5 shaves, but if you strop it, one cart will last for 20+ shaves.
Yes, it does not look as stylish as a stainless DE razor, but the shaves I get with the carts are superior, once I dialed in my technique, a technique I learned from using DE razors for 5+ years

25 6,467
 02-26-2018, 06:39 PM
User Info
If I have to use a cartridge on my face, Mach 3 does everything I need it to.

54 8,485
 02-28-2018, 05:28 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Never used anything else but a cartridge razor. Started out as a teen with Sensor Excel. moved on to Mach 3 and later to Fusion and then moved back to Mach 3 and stayed.
Since I started with good skin prep, i.e. a brush and good cream or soap, I get a fantastic shave with a Mach 3 and never had any issues with irritation or ingrown hair.

43 2,055
 03-05-2018, 11:04 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(02-26-2018, 06:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Yes, if you don't strop your cart frequently, you need to change it every 4-5 shaves, but if you strop it, one cart will last for 20+ shaves.

Claus, what do you strop your carts. with? I use Mach3 and Sensor carts. and used to strop on the back of my forearm, but recently bought a Razor Pit, but don’t see much difference in the result.

9 1,053
 03-05-2018, 11:38 AM
User Info
(03-05-2018, 11:04 AM)Rufus Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 06:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Yes, if you don't strop your cart frequently, you need to change it every 4-5 shaves, but if you strop it, one cart will last for 20+ shaves.

Claus, what do you strop your carts. with?  I use Mach3 and Sensor carts. and used to strop on the back of my forearm, but recently bought a Razor Pit, but don’t see much difference in the result.

hey bryan which razor shave closer and faster?
Mach 3 or sensor ?
tnx...

0 76
 03-05-2018, 12:11 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(03-05-2018, 11:38 AM)idan Wrote:

Claus, what do you strop your carts. with?  I use Mach3 and Sensor carts. and used to strop on the back of my forearm, but recently bought a Razor Pit, but don’t see much difference in the result.

hey bryan which razor shave closer and faster?
Mach 3 or sensor ?
tnx...

Good question. In terms of closeness I’d say they are about the same; perhaps the Mach3 is a tiny bit closer, but that seems to depend on the shave at the time. The Sensor is faster: I liken it to a roadster in the way I can move it across my face, but if I go too quickly closeness suffers. Irritation is not an issue with either cartridge provided I apply the same principles as I did with an DE/SE: proper pre-shave prep., a light touch on your face and not rushing it. Both carts give me a closer and more comfortable shave than any DE/SE I’ve used in the 50 years I’ve been shaving regularly. For some reason I don’t use the Mach3 when I travel using it only at home, whereas I use the Sensor when I travel and occasionally at home.

9 1,053
 03-05-2018, 05:46 PM
User Info

Claus, what do you strop your carts. with? I use Mach3 and Sensor carts. and used to strop on the back of my forearm, but recently bought a Razor Pit, but don’t see much difference in the result.

I also use the razorpitt and so does my father. He uses it daily. He gets 40-60 daily shaves on one Fusion cart. I repeat 40-60 shaves.

If he doesn’t strop on the razorpitt he gets irritations within 5-8 shaves.

Personally I tend to strop on my thumb.
Perhaps 5-10 times before, during and after my shave. It also helps keeping the blades clean.

Works great.

Then after 5-6 shaves I give it a thorough stropping on my razorpitt, coating the razorpitt in a shaving foam to make the cart glide easier while stropping it.

25 6,467
 10-08-2018, 03:45 AM
User Info
(02-26-2018, 06:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I dumped all my 60+ DE razors after going back to Carts (mach3 and Fusion) with my new found technique after realizing that carts gave me the better shave compared to all the DE razors I owned from 2011-2016, and I owned pretty much every high end DE razor you can buy for money.

Yes, you need to rinse your cart 20-25 times during a shave to avoid it from clogging
Yes, if you don't strop your cart frequently, you need to change it every 4-5 shaves, but if you strop it, one cart will last for 20+ shaves.
Yes, it does not look as stylish as a stainless DE razor, but the shaves I get with the carts are superior, once I dialed in my technique, a technique I learned from using DE razors for 5+ years

I use carts for head shaving (Mach 3), but I can not imagine giving up my DE razors for face shaving.  I find carts very "tuggy" on more than 1 days growth.

1 193
 10-08-2018, 07:29 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
It's been so long since using anything like these I have no clue. Once I went to a DE I never went back.

0 368
 10-08-2018, 08:10 AM
User Info
I also used to use a Sensor when I was younger and then moved onto the Mach 3 when it came out.  I stayed with the Mach 3 until I moved to Double Edge razors 3 years ago.  I still use the Mach 3 for travel when I carry on my bags.  My shaving with the Mach 3 improved dramatically after I learned proper prep, technique and mapped my beard from shaving with a double edge.  But I still don't get as good a shave with the Mach 3 as I do with a double edge.  And since I still have tons of Mach 3 blades from my cart days, I have no intention of changing my cart.  I did buy a Gillette Guard out of curiosity based upon things I've read in the forums and haven't used it yet.  I still much prefer how a nicely weighted double edge razor feels in my hand over the Mach 3.  Even when I bought an Edwin Jagger handle for it, I still prefer the double edge.  My handle of choice is usually an Ikon Bulldog.

0 135
 10-08-2018, 02:49 PM
User Info
If you believe the marketing, the Mach 3 Turbo has stronger blades that stay sharper longer and a microfin guard on the head that stretches your skin and gives a closer shave.  Ive always found all of the version of the Mach 3 to give very good shaves.
I used the Sensor Excell when I first started shaving in the mid '90s and always liked it.  If Gillette offered a 2-blade cart that was priced reasonably, Id be all about it.  Im not about to pay more for Trac IIs or Atras that I do for Mach 3s though.

0 101
 10-11-2018, 10:58 AM
User Info
I liked the Sensor a great deal and was kind of upset when they moved to the Mach3.  Of course I bought one and after a while, I liked it OK. 

When the Fusion came out, I bought one, but preferred the Mach3. 

Now, in retrospect, I think the Sensor is better.  In fact, I actually prefer both the Atra and the Trac II to any of the later cartridge razors.  I love the cartridges that Gillette makes and markets as "Vector" refills.  I  use these in my metal Atra when I am traveling.

I don't use cartridge razors when I am at home except on a rare occasion when I have overslept significantly and need to get a shave done as quickly as humanly possible.

3 1,951
 12-22-2018, 08:03 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I've been traveling a lot for work, and have been packing the Sensor Excel, and using Floris No.89 shaving cream. Very good shaves. Have not had any nicks or irritation, even if I've had several days growth to get rid of.

82 3,487
 12-23-2018, 06:59 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I agree that 2 blade carts are better for me than 3 blade styles. Trac II, now called something else, is what I’ll pack for carry-on. I tried the Mach 3 and the Sensor when they came out. The price of refill carts gnawed at me so I used disposable 3 blade Gillette carts from Costco for a very long time. Despite improved technique, with carts I’m still more prone to ingrowns..

10 3,210
 12-26-2018, 09:42 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
Mach3 is way better.
But the best choice is the Mach3 with Power handle!!
I prefer the Sensitive just for the colors...

Weight, balance and vibration ATG work like a charm.
Heart

0 1,560