Poll: Gillette Mach 3 VS Gillette Mach 3 Turbo VS Gillette Sensor Exel
 11-21-2017, 02:34 AM
User Info
What are the differences between them? And what shaves faster and closer?
I have a very heavy + dense beard
Thank you very much...

0 76
 11-25-2017, 06:30 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I don't use carts currently, but I used to use Sensor Excel from probably 1997-2013.
Even though this was the era when they kept adding more blades, I always found the Sensor Excel (2 blades) to be best of all of them. IMO, the more blades = the worse it gets.

Sensor Excel has 2 blades. Fins and lube strip.

M3 has 3 blades.

M3 Turbo has 3 blades that are different spec than regular M3. Supposedly sharper.

I tried all three types this past Spring and found that Sensor Excel is still the best cart (of these, at least), the M3 was still okay. But I got much more irritation with the M3 Turbo. Not sure why.

Then I realized (again): all carts suck compared to DE.

Find a good razor (like Rockwell 6s and put in the best blades, like Gillette Platinums or Polsilver Super Iridium), and you'll never think about carts again.

82 3,455
 11-25-2017, 08:01 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Of those, I prefer the sensor as well. . Just a more comfortable shave, while still efficient.

I prefer the Fusion manual over the Excel, however.

The Mach 3 “Sensitive” is also very good and i think the best of the M3 carts.

174 1,601
 01-11-2018, 05:35 PM
User Info
I have just shaved with a fresh Mach3. I have a close smooth shave. However, I can probably just get a close shave with either a Quattro Titanium, EasyFit 3 (Hydro 3 Mk1), or the current Hydro 3.

0 309
 02-26-2018, 04:38 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Plain Mach 3 and plain Sensor work very well for me. I don’t see the point of Turbo or Excel. After many years of DE and SE shaving I went back to the Mach 3 and Sensor for a closer, irritation free shave.

9 1,041
 02-26-2018, 06:28 PM
User Info
I dumped all my 60+ DE razors after going back to Carts (mach3 and Fusion) with my new found technique after realizing that carts gave me the better shave compared to all the DE razors I owned from 2011-2016, and I owned pretty much every high end DE razor you can buy for money.

Yes, you need to rinse your cart 20-25 times during a shave to avoid it from clogging
Yes, if you don't strop your cart frequently, you need to change it every 4-5 shaves, but if you strop it, one cart will last for 20+ shaves.
Yes, it does not look as stylish as a stainless DE razor, but the shaves I get with the carts are superior, once I dialed in my technique, a technique I learned from using DE razors for 5+ years

25 6,438
 02-26-2018, 06:39 PM
User Info
If I have to use a cartridge on my face, Mach 3 does everything I need it to.

53 8,306
 02-28-2018, 05:28 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Never used anything else but a cartridge razor. Started out as a teen with Sensor Excel. moved on to Mach 3 and later to Fusion and then moved back to Mach 3 and stayed.
Since I started with good skin prep, i.e. a brush and good cream or soap, I get a fantastic shave with a Mach 3 and never had any issues with irritation or ingrown hair.

43 2,052
 03-05-2018, 11:04 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(02-26-2018, 06:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Yes, if you don't strop your cart frequently, you need to change it every 4-5 shaves, but if you strop it, one cart will last for 20+ shaves.

Claus, what do you strop your carts. with? I use Mach3 and Sensor carts. and used to strop on the back of my forearm, but recently bought a Razor Pit, but don’t see much difference in the result.

9 1,041
 03-05-2018, 11:38 AM
User Info
(03-05-2018, 11:04 AM)Rufus Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 06:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Yes, if you don't strop your cart frequently, you need to change it every 4-5 shaves, but if you strop it, one cart will last for 20+ shaves.

Claus, what do you strop your carts. with?  I use Mach3 and Sensor carts. and used to strop on the back of my forearm, but recently bought a Razor Pit, but don’t see much difference in the result.

hey bryan which razor shave closer and faster?
Mach 3 or sensor ?
tnx...

0 76
 03-05-2018, 12:11 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(03-05-2018, 11:38 AM)idan Wrote:

Claus, what do you strop your carts. with?  I use Mach3 and Sensor carts. and used to strop on the back of my forearm, but recently bought a Razor Pit, but don’t see much difference in the result.

hey bryan which razor shave closer and faster?
Mach 3 or sensor ?
tnx...

Good question. In terms of closeness I’d say they are about the same; perhaps the Mach3 is a tiny bit closer, but that seems to depend on the shave at the time. The Sensor is faster: I liken it to a roadster in the way I can move it across my face, but if I go too quickly closeness suffers. Irritation is not an issue with either cartridge provided I apply the same principles as I did with an DE/SE: proper pre-shave prep., a light touch on your face and not rushing it. Both carts give me a closer and more comfortable shave than any DE/SE I’ve used in the 50 years I’ve been shaving regularly. For some reason I don’t use the Mach3 when I travel using it only at home, whereas I use the Sensor when I travel and occasionally at home.

9 1,041
 03-05-2018, 05:46 PM
User Info

Claus, what do you strop your carts. with? I use Mach3 and Sensor carts. and used to strop on the back of my forearm, but recently bought a Razor Pit, but don’t see much difference in the result.

I also use the razorpitt and so does my father. He uses it daily. He gets 40-60 daily shaves on one Fusion cart. I repeat 40-60 shaves.

If he doesn’t strop on the razorpitt he gets irritations within 5-8 shaves.

Personally I tend to strop on my thumb.
Perhaps 5-10 times before, during and after my shave. It also helps keeping the blades clean.

Works great.

Then after 5-6 shaves I give it a thorough stropping on my razorpitt, coating the razorpitt in a shaving foam to make the cart glide easier while stropping it.

25 6,438
 10-08-2018, 03:45 AM
User Info
(02-26-2018, 06:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I dumped all my 60+ DE razors after going back to Carts (mach3 and Fusion) with my new found technique after realizing that carts gave me the better shave compared to all the DE razors I owned from 2011-2016, and I owned pretty much every high end DE razor you can buy for money.

Yes, you need to rinse your cart 20-25 times during a shave to avoid it from clogging
Yes, if you don't strop your cart frequently, you need to change it every 4-5 shaves, but if you strop it, one cart will last for 20+ shaves.
Yes, it does not look as stylish as a stainless DE razor, but the shaves I get with the carts are superior, once I dialed in my technique, a technique I learned from using DE razors for 5+ years

I use carts for head shaving (Mach 3), but I can not imagine giving up my DE razors for face shaving.  I find carts very "tuggy" on more than 1 days growth.

1 193
 10-08-2018, 07:29 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
It's been so long since using anything like these I have no clue. Once I went to a DE I never went back.

0 345
 10-08-2018, 08:10 AM
User Info
I also used to use a Sensor when I was younger and then moved onto the Mach 3 when it came out.  I stayed with the Mach 3 until I moved to Double Edge razors 3 years ago.  I still use the Mach 3 for travel when I carry on my bags.  My shaving with the Mach 3 improved dramatically after I learned proper prep, technique and mapped my beard from shaving with a double edge.  But I still don't get as good a shave with the Mach 3 as I do with a double edge.  And since I still have tons of Mach 3 blades from my cart days, I have no intention of changing my cart.  I did buy a Gillette Guard out of curiosity based upon things I've read in the forums and haven't used it yet.  I still much prefer how a nicely weighted double edge razor feels in my hand over the Mach 3.  Even when I bought an Edwin Jagger handle for it, I still prefer the double edge.  My handle of choice is usually an Ikon Bulldog.

0 102
 10-08-2018, 02:49 PM
User Info
If you believe the marketing, the Mach 3 Turbo has stronger blades that stay sharper longer and a microfin guard on the head that stretches your skin and gives a closer shave.  Ive always found all of the version of the Mach 3 to give very good shaves.
I used the Sensor Excell when I first started shaving in the mid '90s and always liked it.  If Gillette offered a 2-blade cart that was priced reasonably, Id be all about it.  Im not about to pay more for Trac IIs or Atras that I do for Mach 3s though.

0 100
 10-11-2018, 10:58 AM
User Info
I liked the Sensor a great deal and was kind of upset when they moved to the Mach3.  Of course I bought one and after a while, I liked it OK. 

When the Fusion came out, I bought one, but preferred the Mach3. 

Now, in retrospect, I think the Sensor is better.  In fact, I actually prefer both the Atra and the Trac II to any of the later cartridge razors.  I love the cartridges that Gillette makes and markets as "Vector" refills.  I  use these in my metal Atra when I am traveling.

I don't use cartridge razors when I am at home except on a rare occasion when I have overslept significantly and need to get a shave done as quickly as humanly possible.

3 1,937