11-22-2017, 03:11 PM
User Info
I just fired up the smoker.  We're having smoked lamb (think pulled pork but with a leg of lamb instead) and two rotisserie chickens.  Lamb will run late into the night tonite and will get pulled in the morning.  Chickens will go on tomorrow afternoon.  Add mashed potatoes, salad, soup, and rice.  Finish the evening off with pumpkin pie and cheesecake...

What's on your menu?

[Image: IuuytjZ.jpg]

23 1,938
 11-22-2017, 03:28 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Turducken
Cornbread jalapeño stuffing
Trufflled mashed potatoes
Brussel sprouts with pancetta
Macaroni and cheese
Butternut squash soup
Arugula with beets, oranges, goat cheese and mustard dressing
Pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream

102 18,709
 11-23-2017, 06:06 AM
User Info
The older we get the simpler we like the holiday to be. That goes for Christmas also.

Turkey, dressing, gravy and since our guest figured out that he's probably not going to be able to buy rolls today as he planned, I cook a few sweet potatoes. I stopped making pumpkin pie last year. Now I make pumpkin pudding. It's basically pie without the crust. Everything we like and nothing that we don't.

Edit: Whoops! I forgot the fresh cranberry sauce which I just made. I make 2 versions, one is uncooked and more of a relish, the other is cooked, and the cooked version is what I made this year.

Edit # 2: The wife didn't want anything else. But I wanted another veg'. So I asked our guest if he wanted sweet potato. A quick peel, slice, and fry got he and I what we wanted.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

32 6,491
 11-23-2017, 08:29 AM
User Info
Menus so far sound great.  Here is the lamb, freshly pulled.  Chickens go on in a bit.

[Image: NHpB9eP.jpg]

23 1,938
 11-23-2017, 08:34 AM
User Info
 11-23-2017, 09:14 AM
User Info
We've been doing a potluck at my apartment for the last 7 years. 

Traditional Turkey & gravy (shevek) 
Corn pudding (Grandma J)
Fresh Cranberry sauce (Grandma C)
Turkey Lasagna (Uncle)
Spinach pie with Gruyere & Asiago (shevek)
Mashed sweet potatos w/Marshmallows (Grandma C)
Chopped Turkey liver (shevek)

And someone will (hopefully)bring a few pies for dessert. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

45 1,244
 11-23-2017, 10:28 AM
User Info
Everything sounds great.  Keep 'em coming!  mmmm....spinach pie.  Sounds tasty!

23 1,938
 11-24-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
Hope everyone had a great day.  Here is an update on our meal...

Chickens off the rotisserie...I stink at trussing chickens...but they came out great...moist and juicy, crisp skin...

We had the pleasure of hosting some friends at our house for whom this was their first traditional* Thanksgiving meal...it was a hit!

[Image: E0N4pWL.jpg]

*ok, chicken isn't traditional, I know, but it's close!

23 1,938
 11-27-2017, 01:40 PM
User Info
Tom, all that food looks amazing!  

I roasted a turkey breast with a fresh-herb compound butter beneath the skin.  Made lots of mashed potatoes and a killer gravy.  Skipped the dressing this year; not really sure why.  Just wanted to simplify a bit.  Had rolls made by a local bakery.  Cooked up some fresh haricot vert and served them simply, with butter, salt, and pepper.

3 1,844
 11-27-2017, 03:00 PM
User Info
sounds awesome! we skipped the stuffing this year too...wife and kids admitted they never really liked dressing!!! What?!?!?  That's my favorite part!

23 1,938
 11-27-2017, 04:19 PM
User Info
My favorite part also Tom. But I need gravy too, hence the turkey. OK, I like the turkey too, but I absolutely MUST have dressing and not just any dressing, my Moms dressing. OK, actually it was my dressing since I always made it. I was discussing that with a brother yesterday and we both agreed that her dressing was tops. It WAS her recipe that I used. In fact tonight my meal is mostly dressing and gravy with some turkey. The dressing is loaded with veg', heck it's a balanced meal all by itself.

Big change this year though. In years past I would use bulk pork sausage in the dressing and it was always too greasy for me, made worse as I get older. This year I bought precooked sausage for a much less greasy dressing and it was just as tasty. Everything goes through the grinder so the pre-cooked was no problem. The entire casserole dish of dressing only had 5 TBLs of butter in it for fat. No one missed the pork fat from the bulk sausage.

32 6,491
 11-27-2017, 07:31 PM
User Info
Sounds great.  Same for me...Thanksgiving is stuffing + gravy + a little Turkey...oh and twice baked potatoes when we were kids.  Haven't had those in ages.

23 1,938