11-24-2017, 07:25 PM
User Info
I have spend the last year on perfecting my cookware collection, so that I own some of the best pans and pots available now.

Copper cookware is now next on my list, and I wonder if any Nook'ers are owners of copper cookware and if so, what your preferences are ?

My focus will be on getting Mauviel M250c copper cookware.

I will probably focus on a reduction Windsor sauce pan in 20 cm/8" and a sauter pan in 24 cm/3 QT and a braiser sauter in 28cm/6 QT first and relace my Mauviel M Cook 5-PLY items with these copper items.

I don't expect vast improvements over PLY cookware, which already is very responsive, but I still hope to see and experience the benefits of real thick copper cookware.

What copper cookware do you own and how do you feel it enhances your technique and skills in your kitchen ?

24 6,056
 11-25-2017, 03:19 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-24-2017, 07:25 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: What copper cookware do you own and how do you feel it enhances your technique and skills in your kitchen ?

Chantal Copper Fusion. But it is only partial, unalloyed copper internally but hybrid construction, copper cookware.

Explanation: Because I live and cook in the 21st century, I, like a growing majority of commercial kitchens, use fast, precise, induction as the energy source for cooking rather than the slower, less responsive, gas, which, although more efficient than induction to heat the kitchen, is less efficient than induction for the tasks of cooking food.  (Exception: proper cooking in a wok requires high flames that lick up the sides of the wok.) Induction technology requires the use of pots and pans that respond to magnetic fields, so pure copper cookware is ruled out.  (I have retained some copper pieces that I acquired prior to our conversion to induction for whisking eggs in, however.) 

That said, I took advantage of a short-term sale price some time back to acquire a Chantal Copper Fusion frying pan that I liked enough that I purchased a second one for our son and daughter-in-law who are living in a home, originally built in the 19th century, the kitchen of which still is fitted with a mid 1990’s era DCS brand attack gas cooktop (the cooking equivalent of driving a HumVee as a family car).  The Chantal Copper Fusion line has a copper plate at its core, fused to a ferritic (non-austenic) plate at the bottom of the pan; the ferritic plate heats efficiently from the induction source and the heat is transferred to the copper plate for rapid and even distribution throughout the pan (no hot spots).  Chantal has encased the pan in a thick layer of scratch-resistant, not nonstick but sticks-less, enamel.  When we visit our son’s home (as we are doing this week), the Chantal Copper Fusion pan is my cooking tool of choice, although I do enjoy using the 1930’s era Griswold cast iron skillet (weighs a ton, but cooks like a dream) that I inherited from my mother and passed on to our son years ago.  Both the Chantal and the Griswold are far superior as regards even heat distribution to the Caphalon brand thick profile anodized aluminum cookware that makes up most of our son’s family’s cookware.

1 1,120
 11-30-2017, 07:16 PM
User Info
Just bought this on a sale 15% off. Paid €412 shipped including a Mauviel Copperbrill polish.

Mauviel M250c 28 cm rondeau with lid - the perfect braiser/sauter pan ?

[Image: 51LmfySkuwL._SL1181_.jpg]

[Image: 7b25754d5af24cc6a3a0a58a2093949a.jpg]

24 6,056
 01-08-2018, 05:27 AM
User Info
VERY nice.  I stick to cast iron myself as I tend to be quite hard on cooking equipment.

0 180
 01-09-2018, 04:54 AM
User Info
(01-08-2018, 05:27 AM)asiliski Wrote: VERY nice.  I stick to cast iron myself as I tend to be quite hard on cooking equipment.

Copper cookware has stood the test of time and is almost as rugged and durable as cast iron.
It’s almost as heavy too !!!

24 6,056
 01-09-2018, 06:13 AM
User Info
(01-09-2018, 04:54 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 05:27 AM)asiliski Wrote: VERY nice.  I stick to cast iron myself as I tend to be quite hard on cooking equipment.

Copper cookware has stood the test of time and is almost as rugged and durable as cast iron.
Indeed, but the maintenance of copper cookware is extreme; admittedly beautiful when polished. 

39 3,995
 01-09-2018, 03:30 PM
User Info
(01-09-2018, 06:13 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 04:54 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Indeed, but the maintenance of copper cookware is extreme; admittedly beautiful when polished. 

Indeed, if you want to have it polished and shiny looking it is.

But lots of copper cookware gastro owners ignore the polishing police and simply just wash it and leave it as it is.

Copper cookware unpolished will obtain a rugged rough look and over time get a patina and a character look, that says:
‘I cook with copper for its supreme cooking characteristics and not so much for the look of it’

24 6,056
 01-11-2018, 06:14 PM
User Info
(01-09-2018, 03:30 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 06:13 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 04:54 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Copper cookware has stood the test of time and is almost as rugged and durable as cast iron.

But lots of copper cookware gastro owners ignore the polishing police and simply just wash it and leave it as it is.

Copper cookware unpolished will obtain a rugged rough look and over time get a patina and a character look, that says:
‘I cook with copper for its supreme cooking characteristics and not so much for the look of it’
Are you polisher or an ignorer Claus?

39 3,995
 01-12-2018, 01:40 AM
User Info
(01-11-2018, 06:14 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 03:30 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 06:13 AM)primotenore Wrote: Indeed, but the maintenance of copper cookware is extreme; admittedly beautiful when polished. 

Still deciding actually

My OCD tells me to polish it, my logic tells me not to......

I guess I’m in between, I cook maybe 3-5 times with the same copper pan, then give it a quick polish with the Mauviel copperbrill cream.

24 6,056
 01-12-2018, 06:23 AM
User Info
(01-12-2018, 01:40 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 06:14 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 03:30 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Indeed, if you want to have it polished and shiny looking it is.

Still deciding actually

My OCD tells me to polish it, my logic  tells me not to......

I guess I’m in between, I cook maybe 3-5 times with the same copper pan, then give it a quick polish with the Mauviel copperbrill cream.
My guess, having "known" you on the forum for almost 4 years, you will not be able to tolerate a tarnished pot or pan.  Biggrin

39 3,995
 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM
User Info
I view cookware as working tools, so I don't polish it.  This 8 1/2" skillet, for example, gets frequent use in our kitchen.

[Image: k9BGzvw.jpg]

51 6,630