11-26-2017, 07:29 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I thank the abundance of responses.
I am still interested to hear HOW you arrived at your decision.

Like, if you say you always do C, what happened with A and B that you did not like??

82 3,455
 11-26-2017, 10:46 AM
User Info
I bought an adjustable with the idea that I'd find the right aggression level and stick with it.  I had heard about adjusting it mid-shave and gave that a try.  Option A made the most sense to me, so I tried it a few times and it worked fine for me...but it wasn't worth the effort, as minimal as it is.  I could get as close a shave sticking with one level.  Option B didn't make sense to me intuitively, so never tried.

23 1,938
 11-26-2017, 12:33 PM
User Info
B.  To me, option A is counterintuitive.

3 1,936
 11-26-2017, 12:44 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(11-26-2017, 07:29 AM)Nero Wrote: I thank the abundance of responses.

Like, if you say you always do C, what happened with A and B that you did not like??

I never tried A or B. When I got my Rockwell 6S, for example, I immediately loaded the #6 plate, and have only used that plate. Plates #1 through 5 will forever remain in the box. Same with the Slim set at 9. Or the Variant set at 5+. If the most aggressive setting is not efficient enough for my face, I'm not going to try the less efficient options. That's just me.

10 562
 11-26-2017, 01:52 PM
User Info
I used to start on a higher gap and then go lower. I can’t recall how I came to that conclusion. I got very nice comfortable shaves for many years that way—typically with a Progress or Mergress. But then I read somewhere on a forum that the inverse was correct. Right or wrong I tried it and I think it gives closer shaves.

It would stand to reason that the shorter the hair is the closer to the skin you would want to shave to remove what remains. At least that’s what I recall reading.

I don’t think that logic really follows but I do think it’s easier to shave with a more aggressive razor if you’ve got less resistance and that’s what you accomplish with the initial passes on the low setting. And for me at least I’m typically going to get a closer shave with a larger gap so finishing that way yields a close shave with little irritation.

19 231
 11-26-2017, 05:48 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(11-26-2017, 12:44 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:

I never tried A or B. When I got my Rockwell 6S, for example, I immediately loaded the #6 plate, and have only used that plate. Plates #1 through 5 will forever remain in the box. Same with the Slim set at 9. Or the Variant set at 5+. If the most aggressive setting is not efficient enough for my face, I'm not going to try the less efficient options. That's just me.

Have you tried lighter fluid and a match? (Kidding, of course Smile )

82 3,455
 11-26-2017, 05:55 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Right now, I'm going to test B.
Because it seems to me:
The WTG pass is the safest pass (all else equal), so it would make sense to do the most aggressive gap.
The XTG pass is less safe, so use a slightly less aggressive gap.
The ATG pass (and buffing) is the least safe, so use even less aggressive gap.

(I really can see it both ways, I'm kinda just being devil's advocate, since most people are A (or actually C).)

82 3,455
 11-26-2017, 06:00 PM
User Info
B figure my hair is like my grass. When it gets long I cut it high then slowly trim it down

17 332
 11-26-2017, 09:07 PM
User Info
I have used and owned/own quite a few adjustables over the years and I've used all A B and C techniques and all three have worked depending on which razor and blade combo I'm using. Recently I got a Gibbs #17 adjustable and as of now it's my all time favorite adjustable razor. I've shaved with it twice using setting 5 to start and after the 2nd pass (there's 1-6 settings) I turned it down to a 3 for some light buffing and I had a very solid BBS shave using a modified Polsilver blade.

0 239
 11-26-2017, 09:24 PM
User Info
I recently purchased the REX Ambassador from razor emporium. It’s a fantastic razor and based off the Gibbs. I love to start with the first pass of 5, then 4, the buff with 3 or 2. A great shave and a great razor. It’s also nice if you really don’t need to shave but maybe a quick pass before date night, run with a quick pass on level 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 116
 11-27-2017, 09:37 AM
User Info

On my collection of Gillette adjustable razors, anything above setting 3 has too much bite.  So, why did I acquire adjustable razors if I leave them on the same setting?  After trying a number of settings, I found setting 3 works best for me.  I know I will get the same consistent shave with each use.  I mostly use Gillette Yellows and Astra SPs.  Both are perfect with this setting.  No guess work.......dependable shaves.

22 806
 11-27-2017, 11:00 AM
User Info
(11-26-2017, 09:24 PM)Flyingbald Wrote: I recently purchased the REX Ambassador from razor emporium. It’s a fantastic razor and based off the Gibbs. I love to start with the first pass of 5, then 4, the buff with 3 or 2. A great shave and a great razor. It’s also nice if you really don’t need to shave but maybe a quick pass before date night, run with a quick pass on level 2.

I know the Rex is based off a combo of the Gibbs and the Fatboy. I'm hoping for a Rex pass around just to see how it would compare to my Gibbs #17.

0 239
 11-27-2017, 11:56 AM
User Info
(11-27-2017, 09:37 AM)LookingGlass Wrote:

On my collection of Gillette adjustable razors, anything above setting 3 has too much bite.  So, why did I acquire adjustable razors if I leave them on the same setting?  After trying a number of settings, I found setting 3 works best for me.  I know I will get the same consistent shave with each use.  I mostly use Gillette Yellows and Astra SPs.  Both are perfect with this setting.  No guess work.......dependable shaves.

For me the Fatboy on 3 barely even shaves.  I usually use it on 7 or 8.

3 1,936
 11-27-2017, 04:58 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
C.  Si, see?

1 796
 11-28-2017, 05:34 AM
  • Nero
User Info
So, I've tried B.
But I would like to start over.
I am trying too many NEW variables at once:
- New razor (Parker Variant)
- New soaps (many, always)
- New technique/process

I need to take a step back, and go with my already-proven gear when I try this new technique.

Even though the only other adjustable razor I own (other than the Parker) is the Rockwell 6s (and 6c), and I haven't really used the Rockwells a ton either since I only got them a month ago (a month in which my razor collection has seen many other new razors too), it is still more trusty (had more usage, always good) right now than the Parker.

As for soaps, I have many I would consider safe/trusty, so I will stick with those instead of trying out my new software.

With those variables now set at constants, I can test the technique/process part of the equation.

Science is a wonderful thing.

82 3,455
 11-28-2017, 06:39 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
My Fatboy is my daily driver and I’m solidly in the B boat.

35 1,734
 11-28-2017, 06:32 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Just had a magisterial shave with the stainless Rockwell and the "B" process.

WTG - R4
XTG - R2 (didn't feel like going in the other room to get the R3)
ATG - R2

Worked absolutely wonderfully. Best shave in a week, easily, no question.

82 3,455
 11-28-2017, 06:39 PM
User Info
C.  That's all.  But like Hans I do adjust to fit the blade

6 349
 11-30-2017, 01:39 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Another miraculous shave today with Rockwell using process "B".  
Just a slight variation from the previous shave.

WTG - R4
XTG - R4 (during the previous shave, I used R2 for this pass, instead)
ATG - R2

Today's was actually better than the previous shave. (based on 1/each)

82 3,455
 11-30-2017, 01:51 PM
User Info
(11-25-2017, 11:08 AM)Nero Wrote: Don't tell me what you've read/heard others say.

I'm curious from YOUR experience after experimenting with all three options, what's best for you:

A) start with small gap, and increase the gap with subsequent passes, or

B) start with large gap, and decrease the gap with subsequent passes, or

C) find the one gap that works, and use it for all passes

What you say?

B) all the way for me.

7 571