12-01-2017, 04:53 PM
User Info
I have a futur, variant and fatboy and generally do option b with all three.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

2 92
 12-02-2017, 06:01 PM
User Info
I used A with blades I've not tried before then modify the gap as needed.  Once I find the right gap - based on comfort and closeness of shave, etc., I use the same gap for all subsequent passes.

I'm down to about 4 regular blades in my rotation.  Blade gap varies slightly with each - but not much.  My Mergress settings are between 3 and 4, depending.  Sometimes, albeit rarely, I will adjust the gap higher - but it's strictly subjective.

I'm sold on my adjustable, even though my settings rarely (now) change that much.  I've bought a number of fixed gap razors (e.g. ATT, Muhle, Merkur, etc.) of different levels of aggressiveness.  I could get a decent shave with them, but only with my adjustable could I get the "right" level of aggressiveness I wanted.

Meh - everyone's needs, wants, and mileage varies.

0 472
 12-05-2017, 04:43 PM
User Info
Based on this thread, I've experimented with B.  I can see the appeal.  The large gap does away with the long whiskers and dialing back makes for an easier, smoother, more precise (???) cleanup.  At least that's what it seems like to me.  I may be a convert!  Smile

[Image: qmSGuZ0.jpg]

23 1,938
 12-06-2017, 08:26 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(12-05-2017, 04:43 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Based on this thread, I've experimented with B.  I can see the appeal.  The large gap does away with the long whiskers and dialing back makes for an easier, smoother, more precise (???) cleanup.  At least that's what it seems like to me.  I may be a convert!  Smile

[Image: qmSGuZ0.jpg]

Nice, Tom!
I am going to test "A" (and "C" again) with Rockwell before giving my final answer, but right now "B" is sitting pretty.

82 3,455
 12-06-2017, 08:43 AM
User Info
(11-26-2017, 05:55 PM)Nero Wrote: Right now, I'm going to test B.
Because it seems to me:
The WTG pass is the safest pass (all else equal), so it would make sense to do the most aggressive gap.
The XTG pass is less safe, so use a slightly less aggressive gap.
The ATG pass (and buffing) is the least safe, so use even less aggressive gap.

My line of thinking, except I use just two settings with my Slim, not three.
9 for the first two passes, then down to 6.

I still use other settings on occasion too.

10 1,051
 01-06-2018, 08:10 PM
User Info
Back when I did use a adjustable it was C

0 16
 01-07-2018, 07:41 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Admittedly, I don’t have the thickest beard, but I also have pretty sensitive skin. I use a Fatboy nearly exclusively for my shaves. My routine shave is a number 3 on the first pass, all straight down, and maybe some diagonals around my chin, then a second pass on 1 to buff out any rougher spots and to finish my upper lip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 1,734
 01-08-2018, 11:25 AM
User Info
(11-25-2017, 01:30 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: C. I always set an adjustable to the highest setting, and go at it.

This.  To answer your follow-up question, because I'm a one pass shaver.

1 309
 01-09-2018, 05:18 AM
User Info
I have given the short-handled Merkur Progress as gifts to friends who were beginning wet shavers, but I do not own one.

With the singular exception of the Pal adjustable injector (which is always set on high), I do not like or use adjustable razors.

I also do not like or use TTO razors, as their heads are too thick, and they have too many moving parts.

Adjustable razors make great gifts, and I will continue to give them.  I just don't use them.  That's all.

22 264