11-25-2017, 09:40 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I guess it happens to everyone sooner or later.

This is a wonderful Chubby #1 in Super Badger (although it seems just the same as Best to me). You can see two things: first there is a kind of staining in the handle (not that I really care) and secondly, a minor crack is forming in the back. It opens and closes slightly when the knot alternates between wet and dry. I don't use the brush a lot. It has a generous 'fan' bloom, that's for sure.

I have tried to stabilise the crack with a little epoxy, and time will tell, but I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues and has worked out a way of fixing the problem or even completely restoring the handle?

This brush was part of a haul, so I'm not too bummed Smile but it's still something I look at and think, hmmmm...

Pictures:

[Image: pFrWWVE.jpg]
[Image: 1yG0uSB.jpg]

0 1,963
 11-25-2017, 10:57 PM
User Info
Sorry to see that Shaun. No personal experience with fixing a crack. I had an old Polo 10 that had a crack in it that was a Carter Era that I had Mark try to put in a new modern handle as I didn't like that, but unfortunately lost the knot as well. I was able to purchase a new modern one at cost which was beyond what Mark had to do as he did explain that sometimes this happens, and I agreed to it understanding the risk. I know I have read posts of others having successfully stabilized the crack, but I can't recall their methods or where to find those posts.

29 790
 11-28-2017, 08:30 AM
User Info
(11-25-2017, 09:40 PM)Shaun Wrote: I guess it happens to everyone sooner or later.

This is a wonderful Chubby #1 in Super Badger (although it seems just the same as Best to me). You can see two things: first there is a kind of staining in the handle (not that I really care) and secondly, a minor crack is forming in the back. It opens and closes slightly when the knot alternates between wet and dry. I don't use the brush a lot. It has a generous 'fan' bloom, that's for sure.

I have tried to stabilise the crack with a little epoxy, and time will tell, but I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues and has worked out a way of fixing the problem or even completely restoring the handle?

This brush was part of a haul, so I'm not too bummed Smile but it's still something I look at and think, hmmmm...

Pictures:

[Image: pFrWWVE.jpg]
[Image: 1yG0uSB.jpg]

Staining can sometimes be buffed out--or rubbed out with some medium-fine cut automotive compound.  But repairing a crack like that can be tricky.  I'm a little concerned because you say it expands/contracts when wet and dry.  Candidly, your best bet might be to send it back to Simpson.  The thing is:  if you used a fast-curing epoxy, the repair will probably not hold up because the fast-cure epoxy doesn't like water.  If you want, you can send me a PM and I'll try to walk you through a more permanent repair if sending the brush to Simpson isn't appealing.

4 710
 11-28-2017, 12:15 PM
User Info
I’m a dentist by profession and I’ve used some dental filling material to close up some cracks in ivory colored handles in the past. The repairs are visible as resin composite isn’t as opaque as the resins brush handles are made out of but each of the brushes I’ve repaired have remained stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,374
 11-28-2017, 01:38 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I sent an email and photos to Simpsons. I'll update if there is a response. It's an old brush, so we'll see if they have any suggestions. Thanks for the advice chaps. I'll first wait and see what Simpson say, or if they respond.

0 1,963
 11-28-2017, 01:49 PM
User Info
(11-28-2017, 12:15 PM)merkur man Wrote: I’m a dentist by profession and I’ve used some dental filling material to close up some cracks in ivory colored handles in the past. The repairs are visible as resin composite isn’t as opaque as the resins brush handles are made out of but each of the brushes I’ve repaired have remained stable.

That sounds like pure brilliance - and hard to get hold of for most of us Smile

3 5,344
 11-28-2017, 02:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-28-2017, 01:38 PM)Shaun Wrote: I sent an email and photos to Simpsons. I'll update if there is a response. It's an old brush, so we'll see if they have any suggestions. Thanks for the advice chaps. I'll first wait and see what Simpson say, or if they respond.

Mark will definitely respond to your email. In my case he was a speedy email responder, and his attention to customer service was first-rate. Based on my experience, he will likely be open to dialogue.

8 2,750
 11-28-2017, 04:33 PM
User Info
Nathan does fine work repairing handles! Smile

29 790
 11-28-2017, 04:49 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-28-2017, 04:33 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: Nathan does fine work repairing handles! Smile

But where does one obtain the filler?

0 1,963
 11-28-2017, 09:20 PM
User Info
(11-28-2017, 04:49 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 04:33 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: Nathan does fine work repairing handles! Smile

But where does one obtain the filler?

Well my work was in a BST transaction and the brush met with an accident before it came. Nathan explained what he did, took some cash off, and I decided it looked like it'd be fine and it was indeed. No filling work on mine had to be done. Honestly if I hadn't been told I would've thought it'd been some defect from the manufacturer. You can see it, but you need to look for it, and no feeling the work done in use. A+ in my book!

29 790
 02-05-2018, 12:23 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Well, I wrote to Simpson and didn't receive a reply. I guess they're a bit busy maybe...

0 1,963
 02-05-2018, 05:15 AM
User Info
(02-05-2018, 12:23 AM)Shaun Wrote: Well, I wrote to Simpson and didn't receive a reply. I guess they're a bit busy maybe...

We are here Shaun!

Shoot me another email at the following address: mark@simpsonshavingbrushes.com

We've recently undergone a substantial overhaul of IT systems, hence there may have been some emails missed during the maintenance & upgrades.

Looking at your pictures, it seems that the glue may well have expanded & caused the rupture. Sometimes if a brush is left in water that is too hot for too long, the epoxy will expand at a different rate to the handle itself. It could be a knock, it could be just old age ..... 

Anyway, the task of trying to save the knot is quite a painstaking & potentially risky operation dependant on how much glue is surrounding the hair within the handle. When a handle is broken open, there is potential for large clumps of the knot itself to fragment rendering it useless. The success rate in my experience is 50/50 or less.

Any other questions, please email me.

Cheers,

Mark

0 639
 02-05-2018, 05:22 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Thanks Mark. I'll find the email I sent originally.

0 1,963
 02-05-2018, 07:26 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Sometime back I succeeded in repairing a genuine bone handled Rooney using powdered cow bone and epoxy. Not quite dental lab elegant, but successful nonetheless.

62 1,718