08-29-2012, 02:36 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
Where do you buy menthol crystals? Do you have a recomandations on a good place to buy them? Are there any qualitydiffernces in menthol crystals?

7 858
 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Pharmacies , for what I understand and also ETSY.

86 7,123
 08-29-2012, 04:33 PM
User Info
I purchased some on Ebay. Be careful with how much you add, though. I added a single crystal, what I thought was nothing, but the A/S ended up setting my face on menthol fire.

1 168
 08-29-2012, 06:57 PM
User Info
I buy mine in bulk from New Directions Aromatics, but you probably don't want or need the quantity I buy. I'd check e-bay, I know I've seen repackaged menthol there.

There are 2 grades that I know of. One is for external use and is less expensive. The other is for internal use. The basic chemical is the same but one is purer.

Good luck.

32 6,308
 08-30-2012, 03:16 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I found a mix of menthol in glycerin base to add as drops to any formula at TSD Store. (The Shave Den).

6 905
 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info
I make shaving soap and we did try the menthol once.
I do not recomend fooling with that stuff it is like bear mace
However if you must have it look up soapmaking supppies on the web some of the soapmakers sell supplies also, best of luck

0 34
 11-02-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
I would never buy something premade that is so easy to make if one can purchase vodka. But that's just me. Heck, it's not rocket science. Just add menthol to vodka. Done. For much less $ than pre-made one can make a huge quantity of menthol additive. If you want to make a super lather add some glycerine to it. The stronger you make it without saturating it the less you add to make it work where you want it.

The science is pretty simple. Make a solution and unless it's a saturated solution it'll stay in solution at the temperature at which it was made. Mine goes below that regularly and I've had absolutely no problem, but I don't measure the "puddle" floating above the solute. The puddle might vary. Anyway, it couldn't be simpler.

I don't sell the ingredients or the finished product. Try what I tell you and see if I'm lying. You'll see that I'm not. I do this as a matter of course and I've never had a problem.

I make mine in a 2 oz dropper bottle.

32 6,308
 11-03-2012, 04:50 AM
User Info
I bought some a while back but don't recall where - they say you don't need many of them. They are very concentrated.

6 323
 11-14-2012, 02:06 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
I will get some from the bay, and start experimenting Smile

7 858