11-26-2017, 09:35 PM
User Info
Been seeing someone from Russia listing on the bay .s
 Several wolfman razors including a bbs1 razor. I've heard these may be fake, which leads me to ask is this a big thinh. I haven't heard much about the fake razor market. Thanks guys.

14 103
 11-26-2017, 10:32 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Considering the excessive money-grabbing going on in the secondary market on BBS-1 razors, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the fakers are getting into it.
The prices make counterfeiting a lucrative option.  Produce a fake razor for $20-30 and sell for $500+.  I can see the allure.
It might be worth emailing the active link to Peter at Wolfman and ask him to look into it.

48 2,072
 11-26-2017, 11:38 PM
User Info
(11-26-2017, 09:35 PM)Nh wet shaver Wrote: Been seeing someone from Russia listing on the bay .s
 Several wolfman razors including a bbs1 razor. I've heard these may be fake, which leads me to ask is this a big thinh. I haven't heard much about the fake razor market. Thanks guys.
  • $1150 ... i'll pass  Facepalm

46 719
 11-27-2017, 03:09 AM
User Info
The handle looks like it could possibly be made by someone else! Not certain! The head however looks authentic to me!!

Are the does anyone know if John Brown/James from Wolfman are still manufacturing these razors? I haven't heard anything about them in a long time

20 881
 11-27-2017, 11:14 AM
User Info
He had a Wolfman WR1 Ti polished up for sale last week for $1,400 and I was suspicious so for the hell of it I sent him a message to see if he would be interested in a partial trade and I told him he was asking too much for what would be a $600 to $650 buying it directly from Wolfman as it was just the standard WR1 and he didn't have the stand. He then directed me to his facebook account which showed about 10 different Wolfman and a BBS1 razor which as mentioned is what's up now for $1,150. He said he paid more than I told him it would cost and also that he was selling it for a friend who was in financial trouble. I got to say he was good with the stories and messaged me several times in a gentlemanly way. When I finally told him I wasn't interested in paying that much for his razor he said that's ok I hope you find one for less money and that was that. So is it real or fake.. I'm still not 100% sure as I was thinking of Stork handles which come from Russia and I haven't heard any bad situations with those. Yes I'd like a Wolfman as much as the next guy but something didn't feel right about that deal.

0 239
 11-27-2017, 12:01 PM
User Info
Knock-offs and copies of Wolfman and other artisans / manufacturers from Russia and other places crops up ever so often. What boggles me personally is that if they are competent enough to copy, they should be competent enough to make their own design and sell that instead - while copying might be the sincerest form of flattery it still seems morally suspect to me.

3 5,819
 11-27-2017, 02:04 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I don't find it that hard to believe that someone from Russia was able to obtain a BBS-1 and is now trying to flip it for an obscene profit. I am not saying that is not a fake, I have no idea. The head at least looks legit to me based on no first hand knowledge, but pictures I have seen over the years. I would begin to wonder if that was a reoccurring auction and a few people all mentioned getting "BBS-1's" from a Russian seller on ebay.

12 609
 11-27-2017, 07:04 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
As I recall, Stork handles which are copies of Wolfman handles are made in Russia.  Assume making a copy of a head is also possible.  

If an eBay seller has several razors, probability of fake goods just increased.  No "good" counterfeiter would spend that much effort for one counterfeit razor.  Stolen goods is another possibility, however, bad news travels fast on forums.

9 690
 11-27-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
(11-27-2017, 12:01 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Knock-offs and copies of Wolfman and other artisans / manufacturers from Russia and other places crops up ever so often. What boggles me personally is that if they are competent enough to copy, they should be competent enough to make their own design and sell that instead - while copying might be the sincerest form of flattery it still seems morally suspect to me.

+1

23 1,938
 11-28-2017, 03:16 AM
User Info
[Image: pMTtl6M.jpg]Handles of the Stork for a long time already surpass in quality of performance of many eminent brands. In addition, they also make their own design.

And with their handles the razor becomes more balanced.
I have two titanium handles from this manufacturer.
For BBS-1 and Blackbird. Believe me, with these handles the razors are more ergonomic and convenient to use.
As for the fake BBS-1 from Russia, I ask you to show photos.
I know for sure that the Stork Razor does not make a fake BBS-1

Here are photos of my razors with the Stork Razor handles
[Image: p4PhsXn.jpg]

0 53
 11-28-2017, 03:33 AM
User Info
And further. 

Handles of the Stork is not Russian production !!!
This is Belarus!

0 53
 11-28-2017, 04:34 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I would not part with my hard earned money on a shameless copy regardless of it's point of origin. These pop up machinist come out of the woodwork to seize opportunity. The motivations are pure profit on high demand items and have nothing to do with passion for shaving. BooSad

65 5,240
 11-28-2017, 04:34 AM
User Info
Stork isn't the only Eastern European manufacturer that "borrows from" other artisans more than I feel is morally defensible - or at least did last I looked into them, a couple of years ago, they might have become more original later. Some of them have even tried to sell their products in the past as "identical to <other artisan>, but cheaper".

3 5,819
 11-28-2017, 06:13 AM
User Info
Ya I was thinking it would be silly to waste the time to only counterfit one copy of a razor. And clearly we are not seeing a ton of these popping up. So I'm gonna assume it is real... Real expensive too!

14 103
 11-28-2017, 09:34 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
One thing I'll say in favor of Stork handles (I have one) is that they'll produce handles with knurling on the curved surfaces.  I'm not sure of any other handles that do that.

48 2,072
 11-28-2017, 10:47 AM
User Info
You are wrong. This is not a knurl! This is a notch that is made by a special cutter.

And yes, not all manufacturers can do it.

[Image: RrywZ07.jpg][Image: o9QbFnP.jpg]

0 53
 11-28-2017, 12:32 PM
User Info
Guys, check the pictures out on eBay
The underside of the head is appalling
I’ve reported it but have been ignored

3 79
 11-28-2017, 12:52 PM
User Info
I really doubt this one is a fake BBS1 razor. It exactly look like mine. On the top of that, the same seller once bought a wolfman razor from me. I think he just list them at a very step price.

1 20
 11-28-2017, 10:39 PM
User Info
Holyzeus, please give a link to the pictures.

0 53
 11-28-2017, 10:41 PM
User Info
(11-28-2017, 10:39 PM)Freelancer Wrote: Holyzeus, please give a link to the pictures.

Per the rules: ...no links to or direct references to any live auctions or vaporware.

3 5,819