11-27-2017, 09:32 AM
User Info
CRSW's new soap, Glide, is being delivered to many purchasers today.  Mine arrived this morning.  I expect there will be a lot of comments about Larry's new soap, and it makes sense to collect all these comments in one thread.  Therefore, please post comments on Glide here.

I'll post my comments after I use the soap tomorrow.  My two initial reactions are:

1.  Interesting consistency, which is closer to a firm cream.  I face lather and will have to see how I load the soap.  I'm not sure that lightly dipping the brush into it, as I would do with a cream, will work.  However, it doesn't seem that it will be necessary to load this product for 30 - 60 seconds, as I would do with a soap.  

2.  The scent of the Olfactory Hue is superb, and may be my favorite CRSW scent. 

[Image: cO1uj5Y.jpg]

52 7,673
 11-27-2017, 09:42 AM
User Info
Great idea, Ricardo. According to USPS, I should receive all 3 Glide soaps today. I might post my impressions later in the week.

17 779
 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM
User Info
Thought it would be good to drop this here. It is at the bottom of every GLIDE product page but some may have missed it and find it helpful. It is only our recommendation and you may achieve better results by modifying or using a completely different technique. 

For best results:

1. Using a dryish brush, load directly from the jar for 40-60 seconds
  2. Apply an even coating of the cream soap paste to face
  3. Add a small amount of water to the brush
  4. Continue to build the lather on face adding more water as necessary to achieve preferred lather consistency
  5. Rinse face well after shaving
  6. Pat face dry with a clean towel
For bowl lathering:
  1. Using a clean, dry finger, scoop a almond size amount and place in a clean, dry shaving bowl
  2. Add a small amount of water to the brush
  3. Build lather in bowl following steps 4 through 6 (seen above). 

4 1,037
 11-27-2017, 10:41 AM
User Info
impatiently wating on mine to arrive .. hurry up mailman!  I skipped this mornings shave just so i can shave this afternoon with my new Glide OH

43 719
 11-27-2017, 12:26 PM
User Info
I received Olfactory Hue and Fragile Confusion on Sunday morning (as an aside receiving a package via USPS on Sunday is pretty awesome!)  Unfortunately I am in the midst of my yearly late November, early December bout of bronchitis so my nose is not up to snuff and I'm can't be as descriptive as normal when describing the scents. I head shaved using Olfactory Hue on Sunday and Fragile Confusion this morning and performance on both soaps was identical. I had not read Larry's recommendation for building lather on the face (head) but it is identical to the method I normally use. 
         Consistency was not as soft as I expected but is in line with most super-fatted soaps that I'm familiar with, hard enough to load directly on the soap, but plenty pliable, although not soft enough for me to call it a croap. A load of roughly 45 seconds yields a thick, unctuous pre-lather.  Skin feel when applying was pasty that quickly turned to yogurty as water was added, and this soap can take a ton of water folks! This allows for a broad variety of lather preferences.  I like thinner less thick lather when shaving my face which is done 99% of the time with a straight and I like thicker denser lather when shaving the dome which is done 99% of the time with a DE. You can get both of these types pretty easily with this soap by regulating water intake.  Lather was made easily, and a nice thick, slick, and protective lather it was. Residual slickness was very good as well, that being said I did not get the "this is so slick I need to grab my Alum block or I'm going to drop my razor" feeling, it's plenty slick but I would not classify it as the slickest soap I've ever used. That being said some soaps sacrifice other elements to achieve this slickness and this formula does not. Post shave was excellent, I intentionally skipped any post shave to see how my skin would fare in the cold weather and the lack of dryness was notable, this is a moisturizing soap for sure. 
      Overall this is a fantastic performing soap, certainly in my highest tier of soaps being produced currently. It's easy to lather, the quality of lather is outstanding, shave quality is enhanced by using it , and the post shave is excellent.... so how does it smell? I wish I could report more clearly on this, but that will have to wait a week or so until my sense of smell is back to normal. My quick impression on Olfactory Hue is that it falls somewhere in line with fragrances like Tom Ford's Oud Wood and Comme des Garcons Wonderoud, there is Oud and Wood and... not much else, not overly complex, there's no patchouli or fruity notes hiding in here and there's nothing wrong with that, in fact its done very nicely, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this will be most peoples favorite especially now that the weather is getting colder.  I have to admit that using Fragile Confusion I really struggled to pick up the notes, but I'm blaming my sniffer not the soap. This is great soap folks!

3 268
 11-27-2017, 12:35 PM
User Info
(11-27-2017, 12:26 PM)Pomfretsteve Wrote: I received Olfactory Hue and Fragile Confusion on Sunday morning (as an aside receiving a package via USPS on Sunday is pretty awesome!)  Unfortunately I am in the midst of my yearly late November, early December bout of bronchitis so my nose is not up to snuff and I'm can't be as descriptive as normal when describing the scents. I head shaved using Olfactory Hue on Sunday and Fragile Confusion this morning and performance on both soaps was identical. I had not read Larry's recommendation for building lather on the face (head) but it is identical to the method I normally use. 
         Consistency was not as soft as I expected but is in line with most super-fatted soaps that I'm familiar with, hard enough to load directly on the soap, but plenty pliable, although not soft enough for me to call it a croap. A load of roughly 45 seconds yields a thick, unctuous pre-lather.  Skin feel when applying was pasty that quickly turned to yogurty as water was added, and this soap can take a ton of water folks! This allows for a broad variety of lather preferences.  I like thinner less thick lather when shaving my face which is done 99% of the time with a straight and I like thicker denser lather when shaving the dome which is done 99% of the time with a DE. You can get both of these types pretty easily with this soap by regulating water intake.  Lather was made easily, and a nice thick, slick, and protective lather it was. Residual slickness was very good as well, that being said I did not get the "this is so slick I need to grab my Alum block or I'm going to drop my razor" feeling, it's plenty slick but I would not classify it as the slickest soap I've ever used. That being said some soaps sacrifice other elements to achieve this slickness and this formula does not. Post shave was excellent, I intentionally skipped any post shave to see how my skin would fare in the cold weather and the lack of dryness was notable, this is a moisturizing soap for sure. 
      Overall this is a fantastic performing soap, certainly in my highest tier of soaps being produced currently. It's easy to lather, the quality of lather is outstanding, shave quality is enhanced by using it , and the post shave is excellent.... so how does it smell? I wish I could report more clearly on this, but that will have to wait a week or so until my sense of smell is back to normal. My quick impression on Olfactory Hue is that it falls somewhere in line with fragrances like Tom Ford's Oud Wood and Comme des Garcons Wonderoud, there is Oud and Wood and... not much else, not overly complex, there's no patchouli or fruity notes hiding in here and there's nothing wrong with that, in fact its done very nicely, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this will be most peoples favorite especially now that the weather is getting colder.  I have to admit that using Fragile Confusion I really struggled to pick up the notes, but I'm blaming my sniffer not the soap. This is great soap folks!

Agreed.

52 7,673
 11-27-2017, 12:44 PM
User Info
(11-27-2017, 12:26 PM)Pomfretsteve Wrote: I received Olfactory Hue and Fragile Confusion on Sunday morning (as an aside receiving a package via USPS on Sunday is pretty awesome!)  Unfortunately I am in the midst of my yearly late November, early December bout of bronchitis so my nose is not up to snuff and I'm can't be as descriptive as normal when describing the scents. I head shaved using Olfactory Hue on Sunday and Fragile Confusion this morning and performance on both soaps was identical. I had not read Larry's recommendation for building lather on the face (head) but it is identical to the method I normally use. 

Great review, thanks for sharing with us ... mine should be arriving at my mailbox anytime ?

43 719
 11-27-2017, 02:27 PM
User Info
Got my Glide today. Tried for all three but Olfactory Hue was already sold out so ended up with the other two. Madman's Bouquet is good. Thats the one I used today. Fragile Confusion is light but thats what Larry said on his website so no big surprise. I can smell it in the tub and it smells good to me. I'll try that one tomorrow.

Performance wise its different for sure. Pretty soft so I didn't press my brush to hard and got a good amount of soap around 30 swirls worth. This stuff is thick and gooey is the only word I can think of to describe it but you can add water without being afraid of it getting runny I think. I was using just drops off my finger but it didn't change much so I said screw it and ran the end of my brush under the tap. I'll have to work on dialing it in better tomorrow. Kind of rushed it today. The lather was easy to make and is really shiny. Thats what I saw first before adding water was shiny, gooey not a lather. Like really thick wet paint. This stuff is slick. I'm trying to think of anything that is more slick. I don't know but On my first pass I had a hard time keeping the razor sliding in a straight line on the fat part of my cheek. Post shave is great. Face is very soft and not stretched skin tight feeling. I'm happy with it for my first shave. It's def different in a good way.

0 109
 11-27-2017, 02:52 PM
User Info
Reveived my Olfactory Hue this evening, will try it out in the morning. The scent is lighter than i expected .. looking forward to my morning shave and will report back

43 719
 11-27-2017, 04:22 PM
User Info
Looks as if the good old USPS has lost my Fragile Confusion,it's in limbo in RI.Latest update say's they are working on a solution AngryWill post review if/when I receive it.

5 13
 11-28-2017, 04:51 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
First shave with Glide - I think now I can stop looking for that perfect shaving soapSmile

116 1,670
 11-28-2017, 09:03 AM
User Info
Just an update to my earlier thoughts, I used Olfactory Hue again this morning and it was EXTREMELY soft in consistency compared to my first use. I'm going to guess the difference was due to the fact that the first shave was done 20 minutes after receiving it on a very cold day. This is now one of the softest soaps I've come across and I actually had to be a little cautious loading it this morning. Oddly enough when I checked my Fragile Confusion the consistency was not nearly as soft as Olfactory Hue, in fact it was as firm as when I first checked it upon delivery and when I used it yesterday.

3 268
 11-28-2017, 09:05 AM
User Info
Received mine last night after coming home from work, Madams Bouquet. I must say I’m not a fan really of the scent, but I’m going to give it a go. Can anyone else describe the scent of the others. I’m hoping at some point there is a summer time citrus scent in this type. I’ve never tried the soaps of CRSW so there is no way I’m getting rid of it however?

16 1,076
 11-28-2017, 09:06 AM
User Info
When I first receive a soft soap such as L&L grooming, I leave it sitting out for a few days with the lid off to let it harden up.

12 246
 11-28-2017, 09:37 AM
User Info
(11-28-2017, 09:06 AM)SweetReason Wrote: When I first receive a soft soap such as L&L grooming, I leave it sitting out for a few days with the lid off to let it harden up.

Both lids have been off since 20 minutes after I received them, considering I shaved with one right away and test lathered the other to check scent strength, I always wait a few days after use to ensure drying. I'll report back in a week or so to see if they change consistency. Honestly even if it doesn't harden it's not an issue for me nor does it change my opinion of the soap, I'll just take greater care when loading to make sure the tips of my brush are wet to avoid picking up chunks of soap. This Olfactory Hue is significantly softer than any of the L&L Grooming soaps btw. The only soap I can use as a reference point for comparison was the original version of Dr. Jon's which was until now the softest soap I've run across.

3 268
 11-28-2017, 10:16 AM
User Info
So, to those of you who have the Olfactory Hue .. do you like the scent?  What do you consider the scent strength on a 1-10 scale?

43 719
 11-28-2017, 12:42 PM
User Info
(11-28-2017, 10:16 AM)LuvWetShavin Wrote: So, to those of you who have the Olfactory Hue .. do you like the scent?  What do you consider the scent strength on a 1-10 scale?

I'm digging the scent! Elegant, refined and wish it came in a cologne. Scent strength is perfect. Scaling it on a 1-10 I'd say 7. When you get it wet and start lathering it becomes beautifully nuanced.

Easy to lather soap, big time GLIDE, residual slickness is insane and perfect post shave. Excellent, excellent soap!

0 105
 11-28-2017, 01:22 PM
User Info
(11-28-2017, 04:51 AM)ARGH Wrote: First shave with Glide - I think now I can stop looking for that perfect shaving soapSmile

Signs011

0 109
 11-28-2017, 01:39 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-28-2017, 10:16 AM)LuvWetShavin Wrote: So, to those of you who have the Olfactory Hue .. do you like the scent?  What do you consider the scent strength on a 1-10 scale?

Nice scent but admittedly my least fave of the three.
(I really like the other two.)

I'd probably give the scent strength a 6.5-7.

80 3,340
 11-28-2017, 01:48 PM
User Info
I received my soaps yesterday and shaved with Olfactory Hue earlier today. Here are some screens shots. The soap is soft but I was able to load from the tub and then kept adding water to my brush as I built the lather in my bowl. The brush is a Romera Manchurian badger hair. The soap takes a ton of water to get the right consistency but once I got it, lather was abundant! I used the same type of routine that I use with all of my Grooming Dept soaps to compare the shave and post shave feel. I put the remaining lather on my face after finishing and did not use an aftershave the same way I do with Grooming Dept soaps. I’m a huge fan of CRSW and own at least 12-15 different tubs by them. This new formula is outstanding and overall, I was very impressed. I put it just under Grooming Dept and above Wholly Kaw for overall performance.[Image: 8e7189a98f99ae6e743699ab6e4ebe13.jpg][Image: 478359276d22f1604afc78391dd96c38.jpg][Image: 89f1cce8c5de56c4d897ba231c4b4250.jpg][Image: 21a27fdcfa01af59eeb48fea19bd6c6e.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,143