01-12-2018, 06:06 AM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
I know that I'm late to the party for this review, but I wanted to really use the soap on a consistent basis before forming my thoughts/opinions. Just so you know, I have used this soap for a while and it has been tested with everyday use, aggressive razors (Muhle R41), and more mild razors (Muhle R89). To me, this is an outstanding shave soap. I will break down different aspects of the soap that I believe contribute to its outstanding nature. 

Latherability - This soap is very, very easy to lather. Just a small amount of product will really explode into lather. I have very hard water, so if this is my experience, I'm sure that most people will have no trouble making a good lather out of this soap.

Slickness/Glide - I find that this soap has some of the best glide I've ever experienced. As far as slickness is concerned, I have used slicker soaps. I should say that you can make this soap very slick because of the amount of water that it can take, but I've used other soaps that are just naturally slicker than this without the incorporation of so much water. Having said that, residual slickness is not that big of a deal to me. I am much more concerned with the glide the soap has when the razor is actually going over my face. When I'm actually shaving over my face with lather on it, this soap performs fantastically.

Cushion - To me, this is an area where this soap really shines. I've found that during my regular use of this soap, I've come to prefer a thicker lather with less water incorporated into it. The downside of this is that I sacrifice some of the residual slickness, but the upside is that I find that I have great cushion. There have been times when I've actually wondered if there was a blade in my razor cause I couldn't feel it! The cushion on this soap makes it extremely protective and I have no problem with getting any cuts/nicks or irritation even with my Muhle R41.

Post shave - This is part of what makes this soap stand out among other quality soaps. The post shave feel on this soap is the best I have ever experienced. Even when it is extremely cold outside, I can shave and my face feels great. It feels like I haven't even shaved. I think that Larry has found some magic with his use of goat milk in combination with the butters that he puts into this soap.

There are plenty of soaps out there with great slickness, cushion, and post shave. To me, what makes this soap exceptional, is that it is better than anything I've used in regards to post shave, protection, and cushion, while still providing all the other desirable qualities of a good shave soap. 

The only downside I could see to buying this soap is that it seems to go quickly. By that I mean that it is so easy to overload the brush, and since it is a much softer soap, I could see the tub being used up much quicker than my other soaps. The other downside of this soap is the lack of scents available. Now, even though there aren't a lot of options for scents, the ones that I have experience with (Olfactory Hue & Madmans Bouquet) are absolutely fantastically blended. I'm sure that Larry will add more scents to this formulation at some point in the future, so I'm not really worried about this.

All in all, an absolutely killer soap. Hopefully this info is helpful to someone out there that may be one the fence about GLIDE.

2 76
 01-12-2018, 06:19 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Nice write up TN4! Thanks for sharing your experience.

61 4,750
 01-15-2018, 04:57 PM
User Info
(01-12-2018, 06:06 AM)TN4 Wrote: I know that I'm late to the party for this review, but I wanted to really use the soap on a consistent basis before forming my thoughts/opinions. Just so you know, I have used this soap for a while and it has been tested with everyday use, aggressive razors (Muhle R41), and more mild razors (Muhle R89). To me, this is an outstanding shave soap. I will break down different aspects of the soap that I believe contribute to its outstanding nature. 

Latherability - This soap is very, very easy to lather. Just a small amount of product will really explode into lather. I have very hard water, so if this is my experience, I'm sure that most people will have no trouble making a good lather out of this soap.

Slickness/Glide - I find that this soap has some of the best glide I've ever experienced. As far as slickness is concerned, I have used slicker soaps. I should say that you can make this soap very slick because of the amount of water that it can take, but I've used other soaps that are just naturally slicker than this without the incorporation of so much water. Having said that, residual slickness is not that big of a deal to me. I am much more concerned with the glide the soap has when the razor is actually going over my face. When I'm actually shaving over my face with lather on it, this soap performs fantastically.

Cushion - To me, this is an area where this soap really shines. I've found that during my regular use of this soap, I've come to prefer a thicker lather with less water incorporated into it. The downside of this is that I sacrifice some of the residual slickness, but the upside is that I find that I have great cushion. There have been times when I've actually wondered if there was a blade in my razor cause I couldn't feel it! The cushion on this soap makes it extremely protective and I have no problem with getting any cuts/nicks or irritation even with my Muhle R41.

Post shave - This is part of what makes this soap stand out among other quality soaps. The post shave feel on this soap is the best I have ever experienced. Even when it is extremely cold outside, I can shave and my face feels great. It feels like I haven't even shaved. I think that Larry has found some magic with his use of goat milk in combination with the butters that he puts into this soap.

There are plenty of soaps out there with great slickness, cushion, and post shave. To me, what makes this soap exceptional, is that it is better than anything I've used in regards to post shave, protection, and cushion, while still providing all the other desirable qualities of a good shave soap. 

The only downside I could see to buying this soap is that it seems to go quickly. By that I mean that it is so easy to overload the brush, and since it is a much softer soap, I could see the tub being used up much quicker than my other soaps. The other downside of this soap is the lack of scents available. Now, even though there aren't a lot of options for scents, the ones that I have experience with (Olfactory Hue & Madmans Bouquet) are absolutely fantastically blended. I'm sure that Larry will add more scents to this formulation at some point in the future, so I'm not really worried about this.

All in all, an absolutely killer soap. Hopefully this info is helpful to someone out there that may be one the fence about GLIDE.

Nice review. 

One thing I've found is to start with a really dry brush and overload it. Then following Larry's directions from the CRSW website is to build up a paste on your face. You will see a very shiny coating. Then add a little water to your brush and face lather like normal. By the second pass it's hard to keep the razor in a straight line it's so slick.

1 164
 01-15-2018, 05:19 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-15-2018, 04:57 PM)jazzman Wrote: it's hard to keep the razor in a straight line it's so slick.

Ha! Smile
Nice visual description.

62 3,092
 01-15-2018, 05:24 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Damn.. I have way too many soaps and creams, however these reviews are tempting me.
Well done, Larry!

102 18,689
 01-17-2018, 08:19 AM
User Info
Glide has been restocked and splashes and lotions are up to!

Got myself a OH splash and lotion plus a FC and MB splash.

1 164
 6 hours ago
User Info
Anyone care to comment on how Madman’s Bouquet compare to one of my favs Bois Floraux? More floral? Different... on what way? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 29