11-27-2017, 01:02 PM
User Info
I am about to buy some Dr. Harris shaving soap in a stick. I have never tried it before and I am looking for recommendations on what scent to buy. Tell me your favorite Dr. Harris scent. And if you can, describe what it smells like.
I am considering 3 scents mostly, Windsor, Arlington, and Marlborough.

5 1,646
 11-27-2017, 01:06 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I love Windsor, especially for fall/winter, as it's a warm scent. It reminds me somewhat of Penhaligon's Sartorial, another of my favorite scents.

38 5,302
 11-27-2017, 01:07 PM
User Info
Super tough call but I'd probably give the edge to Arlington. A classy scent that I never tire of. However you can't go wrong with Windsor either, which is why I bought both. Marlborough I wasn't a fan of, but it was a few years ago so I couldn't tell you why from memory.

Oh, and I do recommend you consider a refill puck instead of the stick. Not only do you get double, but it's easier to load from.

6 865
 11-27-2017, 01:12 PM
User Info
(11-27-2017, 01:07 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Super tough call but I'd probably give the edge to Arlington. A classy scent that I never tire of. However you can't go wrong with Windsor either, which is why I bought both. Marlborough I wasn't a fan of, but it was a few years ago so I couldn't tell you why from memory.

Oh, and I do recommend you consider a refill puck instead of the stick. Not only do you get double, but it's easier to load from.

Yes I almost made the mistake of buying a stick. They do charge a lot for the tube. I made that mistake with Mystic Water soaps. I will buy the puck refill and put it into a tube myself.

5 1,646
 11-27-2017, 01:36 PM
User Info
(11-27-2017, 01:12 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 01:07 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Super tough call but I'd probably give the edge to Arlington. A classy scent that I never tire of. However you can't go wrong with Windsor either, which is why I bought both. Marlborough I wasn't a fan of, but it was a few years ago so I couldn't tell you why from memory.

Yes I almost made the mistake of buying a stick. They do charge a lot for the tube. I made that mistake with Mystic Water soaps. I will buy the puck refill and put it into a tube myself.
The DRH stick is nicer quality than the MW one, but still I wish I had gone w/ the refill puck of my Windsor.

6 865
 11-27-2017, 02:13 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Marlborough was the first "real"/luxury shaving soap I bought when I first start getting my feet wet in non-drug store shaving products. I didn't care for the smell at all, and as a result I used it once or twice and re-boxed it up, placed it on a drawer somewhere in my house and largely forgot about it. Fast forward to very recently and now I have a new found appreciation for the scent, soap, and Dr. Harris as a brand. A great performer and a warm scent that I think it great for the winter, especially if you want a scent that work is just about any scent/AS/balm/Frag/etc. It has been so steady in my rotation lately I am planning on getting it in shave stick form in addition to most of the other scents they offer in the stick form. Marlborough is the only Dr Harris scent I have smelled so far but I have told Santa about how I want Windor in the bowl and stick, so we will see how that pans out for me  Tongue

The scent is a strong yet subtle warm and refined wood smell (to my nose it doesn't smell like cedar, but YMMV). I would say the scent strength would be like 4-5ish I suppose.

9 529
 11-27-2017, 04:47 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Arlington for summer.
Marlborough for winter/fall.
Windsor is also winter/fall, but the "sharpness" kinda turns me off on some days.

Almond is a creamy, subdued scent that I really like. I think it performs best of all their soaps (but is definitely the least scented).

64 3,141
 11-27-2017, 06:33 PM
User Info
Arlington is a nice, clean scent. Windsor is a lot darker, I liken it to fine fresh vetiver which is modeled after Tom Ford Grey vetiver. Love ‘em both

29 1,298
 11-27-2017, 06:53 PM
User Info
Dude!  Buy em all.  DR Harris is awesome soap and the scents are masterfully done.  Windsor is my favorite but Arlington, Marlborough, Lavender, Almond are all awesome.

4 210
 11-27-2017, 07:55 PM
User Info
All are nice, imo. But these are my personal faves:

Arlington - Very bright. Lemon, neroli, "fern." Looks like it’s their flagship.
Almond - Quinine-like (tonic water). (Only offering which has almond oil.)
Marlborough - Woody; cedar, with hint of sandalwood.

0 553
 11-28-2017, 02:59 AM
User Info
I have Arlington, Windsor and Marlborough

Marlborough is my favorite.
Arlington is a great scent for summer.
Windsor I use under the mood.

0 51
 11-28-2017, 02:30 PM
User Info
Can of worms.

Scents aren't universal.

Try all of them.

0 31
 11-28-2017, 02:43 PM
User Info
(11-28-2017, 02:30 PM)Don Logan Wrote: Can of worms.

Scents aren't universal.

Try all of them.

If I didn't have so many soaps already, (I have 14 sticks alone) I would buy 2 or 3 to start with. I realize everyone's opinion of a certain scent will vary. I'm just trying to get the general idea of what is the most popular scent.

5 1,646
 11-28-2017, 03:37 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-28-2017, 02:43 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 02:30 PM)Don Logan Wrote: Can of worms.

Scents aren't universal.

Try all of them.

If I didn't have so many soaps already, (I have 14 sticks alone) I would buy 2 or 3 to start with. I realize everyone's opinion of a certain scent will vary. I'm just trying to get the general idea of what is the most popular scent.

Most popular scent has always been Arlington, to my knowledge. It really might be THE best citrus scent you can get, any brand.

64 3,141
 12-08-2017, 12:22 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I love DRH soaps. I've had pucks of Arlington, Marlborough, Windsor, Lavender and Almond. My favorite is Almond, which has almost no scent. Lavender is the only other scent that I would reorder. I only tried one stick, Marlborough. I found the stick too hard to get a decent lather with my well water, so I grated it into a bowl (with a cheap, large hole grater from Walmart), which greatly improved the lather. Try the stick & grate if  you have a problem.

1 224
 12-08-2017, 12:56 PM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
Arlington and Marlborough are my favorites.

4 68
 12-08-2017, 01:22 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I've had two, Windsor and Marlborough, but sniffed all of them.

In my opinion, the scents are very light, especially when shaving, so it really doesn't matter that much which you'll eventually choose.

I wouldn't buy them again, that's for sure.

49 2,055
 12-08-2017, 06:44 PM
User Info
So I got the Windsor stick and it is just fine. As everyone said, the scent is very mild. Good performance but I think the Mystic Water sticks perform better.

5 1,646
 12-08-2017, 07:23 PM
User Info
Windsor in the winter. Arlington in the summer. Great soaps for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 104
 12-08-2017, 07:55 PM
User Info
(12-08-2017, 07:23 PM)Jairow Wrote: Windsor in the winter. Arlington in the summer. Great soaps for sure!

Just curious, why Windsor in the winter and Arlington in the summer? The scents are very mild.

5 1,646