12-11-2017, 02:04 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(12-11-2017, 01:47 PM)iamsms Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 11:49 AM)Gig103 Wrote: Second shave was yesterday and I forgot to post. The sample has firmed up some after being exposed to air since Thursday and being loaded like a soap it reminded me of Reserve, thicker than Select but not as thick as Haslinger while loading. Excellent protection during the shave  even though the lather wasn't as thick as other soaps I've used - kudos there.

Post-shave wasn't dry, by any means. Referencing my other thread I think the water may play into it, or I had a better lather this time? I still used an aftershave like I do after all my shaves.

I am confident that a third shave remains in the sample, but not sure about a 4th. That makes it go as fast as   Glissant  but on a softer soap base. Interesting note to me.

I have a question for you: when you say post-shave, do you mean how your face feels immediately after the shave (like withing the first 5 minutes)? Or say after an hour or so without applying any aftershave?

My answer to this is about 45 minutes after the shave.

10 295
 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM
User Info
Does anyone besides myself find it peculiar that the only people so far that have mentioned, nonstop I might add, that Glides post shave is lacking is 3 of the 5 testers? Jus' sayin...

As someone else pointed out in a different thread started entirely about this very subject, which I find rather odd as well, "I think maybe someone is looking to create a problem where none exists."

0 85
 12-11-2017, 02:24 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(12-11-2017, 02:19 PM)LAParker Wrote: Does anyone besides myself find it peculiar that the only people so far that have mentioned, nonstop I might add, that Glides post shave is lacking is 3 of the 5 testers? Jus' sayin...

As someone else pointed out in a different thread started entirely about this very subject, which I find rather odd as well, "I think maybe someone is looking to create a problem where none exists."

You are funny.  Take it for what it is worth.

10 295
 12-11-2017, 03:41 PM
User Info
Please, I'm asking that this thread not degenerate any further into a disruptive argument. Matt was kind enough to offer portions of his personal GLIDE soap to people interested and I'm sure he would appreciate the same.

Everyone's skin is different and thankfully for those in this Pass-Around that find GLIDE lacking in any way, it only took them a few bucks to come to that conclusion.

Not everyone can agree 100% across the board and that's okay, but again, let's keep this civil please.

Thank you!

4 952
 12-11-2017, 03:46 PM
User Info
Glad you said that, Larry. I'm hoping to read honest opinions about the new release.

41 1,196
 12-11-2017, 04:07 PM
User Info
(12-11-2017, 01:47 PM)iamsms Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 11:49 AM)Gig103 Wrote: Second shave was yesterday and I forgot to post. The sample has firmed up some after being exposed to air since Thursday and being loaded like a soap it reminded me of Reserve, thicker than Select but not as thick as Haslinger while loading. Excellent protection during the shave  even though the lather wasn't as thick as other soaps I've used - kudos there.

Post-shave wasn't dry, by any means. Referencing my other thread I think the water may play into it, or I had a better lather this time? I still used an aftershave like I do after all my shaves.

I am confident that a third shave remains in the sample, but not sure about a 4th. That makes it go as fast as   Glissant  but on a softer soap base. Interesting note to me.

I have a question for you: when you say post-shave, do you mean how your face feels immediately after the shave (like withing the first 5 minutes)? Or say after an hour or so without applying any aftershave?
After I rinse my face, I'm feeling residual sickness and dryness. I've had some soaps that do not leave my face dry, but most do to varying levels.

And thanks Larry for understanding that we are just reporting our results. There's nothing more to it, as some folks like to believe.

And tons of thanks to Matt for his invite to try the pass-around.

6 804
 12-11-2017, 04:08 PM
User Info
Larry raises a good point.  Everyone's skin and environment vary.  I have oily skin and live in tropical Miami.  I need an aftershave splash with alcohol.  Post shave is not an issue for me with any soap.  Others will have different experiences and skin care needs.  No soap, regardless of how good it is, can be ideal for everyone. To his credit, Larry recognizes this and is not looking to create hype for his soaps.

50 6,421
 12-11-2017, 04:54 PM
User Info
I’ll just add that this is the best post shave I have ever experienced.

I have tried what many consider “top tier” soaps and this takes it to another level.

I know skins are different but for many of us it’s the exact opposite of what these testers are encountering.

This is the fun part of wet shaving.

Totally different experiences.

Everyone I have talked to has thought this soap made them reconsider what they had in their den...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82 2,249
 12-11-2017, 05:47 PM
User Info
(12-11-2017, 04:07 PM)Gig103 Wrote: After I rinse my face, I'm feeling residual sickness and dryness. I've had some soaps that do not leave my face dry, but most do to varying levels.

And thanks Larry for understanding that we are just reporting our results. There's nothing more to it, as some folks like to believe.

No disrespect meant with this comment my friend, but, how in the world is this possible?  Huh

75 2,319
 12-11-2017, 06:46 PM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
(12-11-2017, 05:47 PM)merkur man Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 04:07 PM)Gig103 Wrote: After I rinse my face, I'm feeling residual sickness and dryness. I've had some soaps that do not leave my face dry, but most do to varying levels.

No disrespect meant with this comment my friend, but, how in the world is this possible?  Huh

I believe he is saying, while checking/reviewing  a soap, those are the two things he is looking for after he rinses his face. Not any particular soap.

3 51
 12-11-2017, 08:52 PM
User Info
(12-11-2017, 05:47 PM)merkur man Wrote:

I meant to say (poorly typed) that those are the criteria I am paying attention to as I rinse my face.

6 804
 12-11-2017, 08:55 PM
User Info
So, over in the Soap-a-Week, bennett said something I can really agree with:

(12-11-2017, 12:15 PM)bennett Wrote: Glide is slick, slick, slick and with just a little water.

Sometimes a soap has a lot of potential but really has to be worked. DR Harris is like that. Older B&M formulas are like that. Stirling used to be that way (I gave up on Stirling, too inconsistent and difficult). Glide is easy to use, like a cream. And without a ton of back-and-forth to adding more water Glide doesn't get sticky like AoS cream. Of course, without the water it also doesn't explode into as many passes for me, but if you're running late this is a good option for you.

6 804
 Yesterday, 05:24 AM
User Info
(12-11-2017, 12:15 PM)bennett Wrote: Even though Glide can take an obscene amount of water I prefer less than more in this instance. First off water isn't slick, a great soap is. A great soap shouldn't need a ton of water to do it's job if it's made right to begin with. Glide is slick, slick, slick and with just a little water. Residual slickness is insane, protection is great and post shave is superb. I'm getting the most enjoyable, close and irritation free shaves ever.

To add some context to the post above.

0 164
 Yesterday, 05:58 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
True dat

62 3,006
 11 hours ago
User Info
I finished up my sample today. In the end, I had 3 solid three-pass shaves and a two-pass shave out of 1/10th the tub. All That's about 35 shaves for a full tub, in line with other vendors out there. By the time I finished tonight, it felt like a soap, no longer a cream like on arrival. It had a lot of air contact in a bowl, so  I dunno how that will translate to a full tub since there is less air contact (especially if you close it up). I also think I got a better lather when it was softer, but that's probably more about how much I loaded.

Anyway, my final thoughts are that it's a winner worth owning. More than B&M Reserve in my opinion (which I also tried thanks to Nero's amazing generosity!). Am I ordering a full tub tomorrow? No, but it's on my radar to see what sorts of scents Larry expands to this base!

6 804