11-29-2017, 05:48 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
This beautiful horn-handled, pure badger Plisson is on its way to me, all the way from La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, 80km NE de Paris - l'ancien lieu de résidence du dramaturge décédé, M. Samuel Beckett. 

This brush is in absolutely new and unused condition, and comes in a box indicating a date of 1964 - the first time I have seen a date-reference for these horn-handled beauties. The seller has confirmed that the brush was bought in 1964, making it 53 years old.  

I have seen photos of these brushes on the web, and thought them very beautiful indeed. I understand that it is a quite small brush. I like small, well-made brushes.

Postage costs were shocking, but seeing as this was such a rare brush (and NOS) I thought I should grab it while I had the opportunity. I was worried someone was going to pounce on it before me, but I did get it for 10 Euro less than the asking price. My birthday coming up. So, well, any excuse really.  Biggrin

[Image: YQJFDcQ.jpg]
[Image: RasDFgB.png]
[Image: FyOM6Nd.png][Image: wUmQVaK.jpg]
[Image: 6BX8Dws.png]

0 2,005
 11-29-2017, 06:01 AM
User Info
Great find, Shaun. Looks to be the same handle as the little Plisson I was trying to date recently. Different hair grade. Looks like the fella that sold me my brush was on target with his estimate of 1960s.

45 1,259
 11-29-2017, 06:02 AM
User Info
Very nice!

73 4,346
 11-29-2017, 06:33 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-29-2017, 06:01 AM)shevek Wrote: Great find, Shaun. Looks to be the same handle as the little Plisson I was trying to date recently. Different hair grade. Looks like the fella that sold me my brush was on target with his estimate of 1960s.

Rob, yes; rather a coincidence really to see two of these Plissons within such a short space of time, and I am glad to have solved the date riddle. These things seem to suddenly pop up out of nowhere and then recede into obscurity again for years. I rather like the base of yours more, as it has that beautiful brown 'coca-cola' translucency. I have seen another with a black horn base. This one had been in a box for years, and the loft is original - Euro White, I'd venture to say. It all depends on the wash and bloom. We'll see.

On a personal note, on 13 December 1964 (as noted on the box) I was onboard the "Fairstar" with the rest of my Liverpudlian family migrating from the UK out to Western Australia. It was a week before my 6th birthday. I remember the jukebox playing "I Feel Fine" by The Beatles, and also "Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison. It was also right around this time that "Goldfinger" was released, in which James Bond shaves with a gold Gillette Slim Adjustable Smile

0 2,005
 11-29-2017, 07:26 AM
User Info
Nice find.

23 1,938
 11-30-2017, 04:29 AM
  • jar
User Info
Very nice find.

0 256
 11-30-2017, 10:40 AM
  • pc4406
  • Vintage Shearer
  • San Francisco
User Info
A very nice brush. Here is a larger family member. This would be a size 14, I think. It is 22mm x 60mm, in still in excellent shape for its age.
[Image: qnnqMXG.jpg]

76 322
 11-30-2017, 01:23 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-30-2017, 10:40 AM)pc4406 Wrote: A very nice brush. Here is a larger family member. This would be a size 14, I think. It is 22mm x 60mm, in still in excellent shape for its age.
[Image: qnnqMXG.jpg]

Very nice indeed! I think the script/font on yours has been traced to a particular time, but I’m not sure. I’ll have to research! I have seen it on other Plisson handles. 
Do you have the dimensions of your handle? A beautiful blonde horn it is, too Smile

0 2,005
 11-30-2017, 01:40 PM
  • pc4406
  • Vintage Shearer
  • San Francisco
User Info
The handle height is 53mm, but I have not measured the diameter.

76 322
 11-30-2017, 01:59 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-30-2017, 01:40 PM)pc4406 Wrote: The handle height is 53mm, but I have not measured the diameter.

Interesting, thank you. I am trying to speculate as to the script on your dazzling blonde. Some say 70s, some 80s, but I’m inclined to early to mid 70s, given the handle style. I think we should name this handle... but what? It reminds me of a beetle.... "Scarab"? Has to be! The scarab symbolises “regeneration”. Parfait!!

0 2,005
 11-30-2017, 02:16 PM
  • pc4406
  • Vintage Shearer
  • San Francisco
User Info
I remember reading somewhere that the script logo was from the 70’s.

76 322
 11-30-2017, 03:13 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Wow!  That is very nice.

26 695
 12-02-2017, 07:25 PM
User Info
(11-29-2017, 06:33 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 06:01 AM)shevek Wrote: Great find, Shaun. Looks to be the same handle as the little Plisson I was trying to date recently. Different hair grade. Looks like the fella that sold me my brush was on target with his estimate of 1960s.

Rob, yes; rather a coincidence really to see two of these Plissons within such a short space of time, and I am glad to have solved the date riddle. These things seem to suddenly pop up out of nowhere and then recede into obscurity again for years. I rather like the base of yours more, as it has that beautiful brown 'coca-cola' translucency. I have seen another with a black horn base. This one had been in a box for years, and the loft is original - Euro White, I'd venture to say. It all depends on the wash and bloom. We'll see.

On a personal note, on 13 December 1964 (as noted on the box) I was onboard the "Fairstar" with the rest of my Liverpudlian family migrating from the UK out to Western Australia. It was a week before my 6th birthday. I remember the jukebox playing "I Feel Fine" by The Beatles, and also "Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison. It was also right around this time that "Goldfinger" was released, in which James Bond shaves with a gold Gillette Slim Adjustable Smile

[Image: icOGyJN.jpg]

I wonder if I put a coat of neatsfoot oil on the base of my handle (left), it would darken up to look like yours? As of yet, I have not attempted to oil or clean the handle in any way. Other small differences I see are your stickers using a more bold font, and your base having smoother curves.

Wondering if you have had a chance to use the brush yet?

45 1,259
 12-02-2017, 07:39 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Hi Rob; no, no chance yet. I think using neatsfoot oil tends to lighten things, making them more translucent. I like the colour of your brush, very nice indeed!

0 2,005
 12-07-2017, 08:54 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Le Scarabée en Corne has arrived! Voila!

The three-band loft (or is it two?) appears to be European Grey (or Gray if you're American) although it has that 'toffee' tinge, and it is surprisingly soft, I must say. Not as much as Euro White, certainly, but the hairs are quite fine. It has solid backbone (the French call thisc haracteristic 'nerveux' or 'nervous': not in the sense of 'anxiety', but more 'sinewy' or 'springy') and it bloomed very nicely. It looks better than I thought it was going to. Absolutely pristine, shining and stunning! The dimensions are:

Knot: 20mm
Loft: 50mm
Handle: 50mm
Total height: 100mm

...making it a size 10. It has had a shampoo, set and dry, and here is the result:

[Image: ae83b7a.jpg]
[Image: krz2zoM.jpg]

And why 'scarabée' or scarab, I hear you ask? Because:

[Image: Dx70j93.jpg]

Or:

[Image: oe6JR4b.jpg]

0 2,005
 12-07-2017, 11:34 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Fraternité:

[Image: K1Own5J.jpg]
[Image: piroBRF.jpg]

0 2,005
 12-08-2017, 12:07 AM
User Info
I am happy I have tried a few very nice Plissons. Unfortunately, only two were more recent but only one would be what I would call current production model. I think I have tried 6 or 7 vintage ones and I think all of the vintage ones were of higher quality in build and craftsmanship vs the most recently made one.

Even though I don't have any that I have kept I still get excited seeing others getting a chance to jump into a past from France and the use of well sorted badger. They all looks really nice. I might enjoy that Euro Grey size 10 with like 5 days growth.

84 1,629
 12-08-2017, 03:34 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Plisson hair grades baffle me. I have of course seen the Plisson hair grading classification chart, but this new brush seems kinda ... 2-band, but in grey, but doesn't look like "Russian Grey" and nor does it look like "European Grey". Maybe it's in a class of its own, but given my two Plissons date to when they do (see them side-by-side, above) the one in the right seems to be European White, maybe, and the other?? What is that? Hard to know, not knowing the terminology Plisson used back then. 

Yes, the HMW fetches silly prices, but do we all really want such a pillowy soft brush? My answer to that (speaking personally) is no, not ALL the time. Sometimes you want to use a loft that's gossamer soft; sometimes you want something a little more invigorating; sometimes something a bit more scrubby. Price may reflect rarity of hair grade rather than the specific qualities themselves, IMO. We ascribe particular qualities to certain hair grades, but these qualities...are some 'better'? It all depends what you value and what you like. To me, pillowy soft doesn't mean 'better', necessarily. Everyone's different. Smile If someone has a  coarse little well-made brush, and they enjoy using it, then I think that's great.

0 2,005
 12-08-2017, 12:51 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Gents, I’ve been following this thread for a while and have enjoyed reading your commentaries and the pictures of what are to me rather obscure examples of shaving history. Thank you for sharing.

10 3,158
 12-09-2017, 02:44 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
I used the brush today. A little on the prickly side. A good scrubby brush, kinda like mixed-loft. Beautiful to look at, though.

0 2,005