11-29-2017, 10:53 AM
User Info
Not a lot of talk lately about the new iKon SBS.  I have been using mine off and on since I bought it, and I wanted to share a few thoughts.  

Unlike the first version, there is definitely a difference in aggression when you flip the baseplate.  With the open circles showing underneath the head, the razor is quite mild.  The safety bar side is very smooth and comfortable, and moderately efficient.  The open comb side is EXTREMELY mild, to the point where sometimes it doesn't cut any hair at all, particularly if you have a thick lather.  

Flipped so that the 4 lines are showing beneath the head, the open comb side becomes quite nice; still fairly mild, but efficient and comfortable.  However, flipped this way the safety bar side has a LOT of blade feel (kind of like the Blackbird).  

I wish there were a way to make it so that I could get the feel/comfort/efficiency of the safety bar side when the circles are showing and the open comb side when the lines are showing, but it's impossible without removing the head entirely.  So I am forced to choose between the circles showing, which offers a wonderful shave from the safety bar side and almost no efficiency from the open comb; or I can choose the open comb side with the lines showing, which is nice but offers too much blade feel on the safety bar side. 

At least those are my feelings about it.  I have found that it works best when paired with a very heavy handle, as it makes is balance better.  I use an old UFO I've had for years and years.  I shave every day, so I guess an option would be for me to load the blade with the circles showing and do my entire shave with the safety bar side only.  Then, flip the blade and the baseplate and the next day shave with just the open comb side, and then back and forth each day until the blade is done.  

Anybody else still using this head?  Do you have any thoughts about the razor after using it for a while?

3 1,932
 11-30-2017, 02:39 PM
User Info
This is a very good shaver. Weight with the bulldog handle is about 4.2 oz. The straight bar is more aggressive then the open comb side. You can flip the base to make it into an adjustable as you have four shaving sides. Certainly worth the under $70 price tag.

141 13,778
 11-30-2017, 10:31 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I used mine for about a week and then sold it.  I didn't like it.  It felt bulky.
I also didn't like the fact that there were no pictorials on the Ikon site showing which side was mild/wild (and I couldn't distinguish between the two baseplate sides anyway).
In fact, your post is the first that I know of that tries to document which baseplate side is which.
Anyway, I'm glad the SBS works for you.  It didn't for me.

48 2,065
 11-07-2018, 08:59 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I used my new SBS yesterday. It gave a smooth and close shave. The four lines were showing. Will try it with the circles showing tonight. Btw, it was paired with a Weber Wave handle which seemed to be a good combination. I will follow up after my next shave.

10 3,112