11-30-2017, 12:31 PM
User Info
I am currently rotating three brushes--a Kent BK2 pure badger, a Frank silvertip badger, and a $15 Omega boar hair. I face lather Proraso soaps and creams. Each brush has a different feel, and all are pleasant, but the most efficient in producing lather quickly is by far the Omega. Has anyone else found the boar hair more efficient for face lathering?

0 116
 11-30-2017, 05:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I started my brush experience by collecting and enjoying at least a half dozen various Semogue boar brushes. I can’t honestly say that boar was any easier or more efficient (= better?) than badger. If anything, my impression is that boar bristle tended to absorb the lather right into the fiber of the bristle. This is not the case with badger which seems to absorb less lather into the hair shaft. This is just my observation. I don’t know if it’s a real phenomenon.

10 3,112
 11-30-2017, 05:36 PM
User Info
Boar and Proraso are a great combination.

9 1,454
 11-30-2017, 06:24 PM
User Info
Not for me. I can generate lather with any type of brush/hair. 
If you want a brush that produces lather, very quickly, you should try a good synthetic.  Shy

89 21,209
 11-30-2017, 06:30 PM
User Info
A great quality badger has always beaten a great quality boar for the overall comfort and feel in my book.

Value wise a boar is hard to beat, and it can perform as great as a nice to good badger for face lathering or even better. But once I started knowing my preferences for knots, knot shapes, knot size/loft ratio and began custom order or hand-pick order my badger brushes, the badgers left the boars in the dust.

Only problem is value here. A great custom ordered badger cost minimum $150 and upwards. You can get many boars for $150.

I only kept two boars, an Omega 81064 and a Semogue SOC Cherry wood.
I use them mostly for lathering my dome (I’m a head shaver)
I prefer my badgers for face lathering my facial area when I have a bit of stubbles. When I shave daily or more, I now prefer Synthetics because of their softness and easiness of lathering.

But I’m not a boar brush expert, so take my advice for what it is: A personal based experienced advice :-)

25 6,387
 11-30-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
I face lather exclusively, and can do equally well with badger, boar or horse brushes.  I do agree with Celestino that good synthetics excel at producing lather easily and quickly.

53 8,215
 12-01-2017, 03:44 AM
User Info
I revisited my one and only lonely Omega boar brush yesterday. Forgot how well it produces a great lather. I prefer the feel of soft quality badger on my face though, the boar felt a little rough.

1 193
 12-01-2017, 03:49 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(11-30-2017, 06:30 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: A great quality badger has always beaten a great quality boar for the overall comfort and feel in my book.

Value wise a boar is hard to beat, and it can perform as great as a nice to good badger for face lathering or even better. But once I started knowing my preferences for knots, knot shapes, knot size/loft ratio and began custom order or hand-pick order my badger brushes, the badgers left the boars in the dust.

Only problem is value here. A great custom ordered badger cost minimum $150 and upwards. You can get many boars for $150.

I only kept two boars, an Omega 81064 and a Semogue SOC Cherry wood.
I use them mostly for lathering my dome (I’m a head shaver)
I prefer my badgers for face lathering my facial area when I have a bit of stubbles. When I shave daily or more, I now prefer Synthetics because of their softness and easiness of lathering.

But I’m not a boar brush expert, so take my advice for what it is: A personal based experienced advice :-)

That sums up my experience except for the comment on synthetics: I still haven’t found a synthetic that can match a high-end boar or 3-band silvertip badger for overall performance and face feel.

9 1,036
 12-01-2017, 03:53 AM
User Info
To me, badger feels softest on my face.. but for efficient face lathering I find that horse beats boar in my book.

3 5,752
 12-01-2017, 04:52 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I prefer badger, but don't see any difference in latherability between badger,boar, horse or synth. YMMV,but all of mine lather about the same.

2 1,808
 12-01-2017, 07:20 AM
User Info
I think it comes down to which face feel one prefers.

53 8,215
 12-01-2017, 08:15 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-01-2017, 07:20 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I think it comes down to which face feel one prefers.

Yes. Imo nothing beats high quality badger for a luxurious face feel.

10 3,112
 12-01-2017, 10:14 AM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
I really enjoy my boar for face lathering. However, I would say that my badger hair brush seems to release the lather easier than the boar.

2 105
 12-07-2017, 10:15 AM
User Info
I sold most of my badgers (Kent BK8, Duke II and others).
Kept only the SOC 2 Band and Da Vinci.
I almost never touch them though.

I prefer the feel, backbone and simply overall experience from my boar brushes.

8 949
 12-07-2017, 10:49 AM
  • jar
User Info
Sometimes you feel like a nut
sometimes you don't ...

0 256
 12-08-2017, 08:12 AM
User Info
Variety?? I like them all. Never enough brushes and never too many. Sometimes changing brushes is good fun in and of itself. Handles play an important part in the liking of any particular shaving brush. Much like all "tools" if it fits the hand and works fine for the job----it's a keeper.

0 53