11-30-2017, 08:55 PM
User Info
We have all at some point heard about the 80/20 rule, more formally called the Pareto Principle, is usually stated something like "80% of the work takes 20% of the effort". The corollary would be that 80% (16% of the whole) of the remainder takes another 20% of the work, 80% of what's left will take another (3.2% of the whole) takes another 20 % and so forth - in other words you'll be running afoul of the law of diminishing returns fairly fast.

If we consider that shaving consists of
- Prep or pre-shave
- First pass
- Second pass
- Cleanup or buffing
- Post shave
and further assumes that each part takes roughly the same time (which holds true for me at least)... we can quickly estimate that a two pass plus cleanup gets rid of 99.2% of the stubble. A three pass plus cleanup will get a little bit more, but unless you did a sloppy job on the two first passes the difference should be quite minor.

So there you go; a tongue-firmly-in-cheek "proof" that a two pass plus cleanup gives a Damn Fine Shave!

As a sidebar: If you find that 80% of the effort do 20% of the work when you shave, it's time to change your blade or strop your razor.

3 5,107
 11-30-2017, 09:33 PM
User Info
Interesting rationale. I'll still go for 3 passes and cleanup. Shaving 6σ. 

8 1,307
 11-30-2017, 10:44 PM
User Info
I have no rules in shaving
Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

43 714
 12-01-2017, 03:38 AM
  • chazt
  • NYC
User Info
Sounds like fuzzy math to me.

Tongue

8 2,686
 12-01-2017, 03:55 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Yup, I abandoned the third pass sometime ago because it made very little discernible difference. It did, however, increase the probability of my face feeling irritated or the occurrence of weepers.

8 994
 12-01-2017, 06:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Time I figure out what you just said, the shave is over.  Smile

180 24,495
 12-01-2017, 07:08 AM
User Info
It all comes down to this:  Is the benefit from that third or fourth pass worth the risk of irritation or weepers?

51 7,163
 12-01-2017, 07:21 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(12-01-2017, 03:38 AM)chazt Wrote: Sounds like fuzzy math to me.

Tongue

Better shave it, but two passes only.

8 994
 12-01-2017, 07:51 AM
User Info
(12-01-2017, 07:08 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: It all comes down to this:  Is the benefit from that third or fourth pass worth the risk of irritation or weepers?

Depends if one is afflicted with OCD and consumed by the need to pass the "cotton ball test"! Smile

8 996
 12-01-2017, 11:08 AM
User Info
Tongue in cheek, but I do believe that after two passes I run up against the law of diminishing returns - for me at least the danger of razor burn and weepers isn't worth chasing the BBS for.

3 5,107
 12-01-2017, 02:05 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
My skin, like the rest of me according to my wife, is very insensitive. Irritation has never been an issue, and since going strictly to vintage blades I may get a weepers once or twice a month. I'l admit that could be due to experience instead of the blades. But since I  always get a BBS with three passes and never with two and since I've always been obsessive about that,  three passes are definitely worth it to me. Besides, anything that lengthens the experience, I'll do.

8 2,419
 12-04-2017, 09:10 PM
User Info
aren't weepers the women  I have known and loved. or his that a julio Iglesias song? usually 3 passes is enough.  I have great burn rescue from Murad.

77 1,380
 12-04-2017, 09:39 PM
User Info
My face is acclimated to 4 passes. Two and I look like I’ve shaved, but not thoroughly. Plus, like Mouser, I’m looking for anything that extends the experience.

29 1,337
 12-22-2017, 09:55 PM
User Info
The Pareto Principle is primarily a principle of practicality - sort of the business version of "hand-grenades and horseshoes" where value is measured simply in terms of being "close-enough."

Practicality, and "close-enough" were the principles governing my shaves pre-DE when shaving with over-priced, multi-colored plastic cartridges that were difficult to keep clean, caused in-grown hairs, and gave only mediocre (at best) shaves, was marketed as the de-facto "standard" way to shave.

Back then, practicality made total sense - get in, get out, do the best you can with what you have, stretch the cartridges as long as possible, save money where you can because let's face it - shaving was something you had to do, something you rarely (if ever) looked forward to doing, and even more rarely something you thought about it afterwards.  It was one of a number of routine morning tasks that generated no more pleasure than clipping one's nails or applying deodorant.

Not so with wet shaving - imho.  Shaving is now for me an indulgence - something I actually look forward to doing every morning, something that a mere brush of the cheek evokes a pleasant remembrance of the morning's shave.  No 80/20 for me.  100% all the way... because it's ecstasy.   Smile

0 415
 12-23-2017, 01:19 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I'm in it for the Zen-experience.  The fact that the whiskers just fall away during the process is a bonus. Wink

48 2,009
 12-23-2017, 02:49 AM
User Info
I used to do 3-4 passes all the time but then figured out I was chasing a BBS that only lasted a fews hours and it was at the expense of possible irratation so for the past several months I have been doing a controlled 2 pass paying attention to technique and have been extremely pleased with my DFS with no irratation and or cuts, there are day when it all fits and with a two pass I get a 90% BBS but mostly its a DFS and I am good with that.

7 1,545
 12-23-2017, 07:46 PM
User Info
I think I've been fortunate in my wet shaving experience - likely due to the nature of my skin and beard.  I get a BBS shave that lasts pretty much all day, my "5 o-clock shadow" appearing typically early evening - which is a huge improvement over my dark ages of cartridges, when my shadow pretty much appeared sometime during my drive into work.

In truth, I don't need to do a 3-pass DE shave; 2 usually will do it, with some buffing; and if I'm in a hurry, that's what I'll do.  But frankly I like the experience enough that 3 passes is more a pleasure than a hassle.

0 415