01-17-2018, 02:09 PM
User Info
I have no problems with the handle either, but such a stellar head deserves something different looking and a tad longer. I'll be soon trying my 17-4 with the MR15 from Maggards.

0 361
 01-17-2018, 02:28 PM
User Info
(01-17-2018, 02:09 PM)kyproset Wrote: I have no problems with the handle either, but such a stellar head deserves something different looking and a tad longer. I'll be soon trying my 17-4 with the MR15 from Maggards.

I actually like the looks of the handle, it's unlike the looks of any other handle i own and the finish on it is really top notch

34 593
 01-18-2018, 05:14 AM
User Info
Just a quick update on shave #2. As a daily shaver I skipped a morning just to see how the 17-4 handled 48 hour’s growth on the maiden voyage—success as detailed on my post from Tuesday.

Now the real test, can this be a daily user that tackles 24 hours of growth without irritation? So far, so good. As mentioned before I have a ways to go before I make any superlative claims, but right now my Cons list only has one entry: there’s not more of them.

0 255
 01-18-2018, 05:45 AM
User Info
Another perfect shave with my new Paradigm 17-4, i actually had plans on using another razor this morning but i couldn't help but grab the Paradigm again. 
[Image: T72w5zR.jpg]

34 593
 01-18-2018, 06:35 AM
User Info
(01-17-2018, 02:28 PM)LuvWetShavin Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 02:09 PM)kyproset Wrote: I have no problems with the handle either, but such a stellar head deserves something different looking and a tad longer. I'll be soon trying my 17-4 with the MR15 from Maggards.

I actually like the looks of the handle, it's unlike the looks of any other handle i own and the finish on it is really top notch
I'm ordering a Stork handle to pair the 17-4 with.

0 361
 01-18-2018, 07:39 AM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
(01-18-2018, 06:35 AM)kyproset Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 02:28 PM)LuvWetShavin Wrote:

I tested some handles with the 17-4.
While my UFO Colibri in SS and a UFO Titian Fine do not fit the Paradigm 17-4, the UFO Grand Titan L and my UFO Tornado XL both work perfectly. I tested also some TI Storck handles; with all of them I feel a large amount of resistance after the first turns and I do not like to use any force. Last I tried a Triad Helix in SS which worked just fine with the 17-4. As mentioned before here fit of custom handles on 17-4 head is random.
By the way: Paradigm TI handle and 17-4 head fit together nice.
Marco

7 252
 Yesterday, 08:52 AM
User Info
Back in 2015, when there was an 'issue' with some of the Mongoose HANDLES in-regards to threading onto the heads of the razors, I purchased a M5x0.8mm TAP
(Available on ebay and other sources).
I ALSO purchased a high-quality Starrett (brand) Tap Wrench (Model 93B, with a 1/4" to 1/2" tap size capacity) on ebay (These are from about $25 used to $40 new).
I also bought a small (1/3 Fluid oz.) drip tube of Cutting OIL to lubricate the Tap & threads (also on ebay).
Since then, when I purchase a new handle, I 'run it through the handle threads'. This USUALLY works to 'free-up' some tolerance to 'enable' the handles to thread more easily,
or at least WORK.
It varies with different handles. My earlier STORK handles especially need this 'encouragement', the newer ones seem better.
The threads on various razors ALSO vary. My Sabre (with it 'unusual' NON-round threads is especially difficult, and there is one handle that seemed to require 'Too Much'
encouragement, and I decided NOT to force it in-order get it to work with the Sabre).

I do NOT own a Paradigm 17-4 razor, so I can NOT comment in-regards to it, but the above technique has worked on MANY handles for me, since 2015.

BTW: Vintage Gillette razors (and Charcoal Goods) with the (apparently looser) #10-32 threads don't seem to require 'this treatment'.

Disclaimer: (I thought I better add this) 'As always: Use at your own risk'.

51 431
 Yesterday, 10:17 AM
User Info
(12-29-2017, 12:13 PM)kyproset Wrote: Ordered mine today from Boolgoose, it will propably arrive sometime next week.
From speaking with Andrew, I now understand that smoothness and efficiency are inversly related. If you have a smooth razor, it will be inefficient. If efficient it will not be smooth. It's a kind of trade-off of sorts. Andrew has nailed the thing and has managed to produce the 17-4 which at the same time is both efficient and smooth, quite a rare thing.
This I can testify with my Rockwell 6S, which is my smoothest DE but even with plate 6 and a feather it's still not efficient enough. Use a couple of shims and you get the efficiency at the expense of smoothness.
This is the reason I stopped using my DE's and almost exclussively use the Sabre@2 and the El-Jefe on prolines. Both are effective and smooth, but they are SE and Gem respectively, not DE's.
I would love to see how your SEs compare!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

0 65
 Yesterday, 10:37 AM
User Info
Drooling over this thread. Could anyone comment on how the 17 4 would compare to a wunderbar?

Also, are there any plans to put the 17 4 stainless in regular production? I cannot afford a titanium razor and it seems the stainless would be in high demand. I think as word of mouth gets around, demand will increase.

0 65
 Yesterday, 10:38 AM
User Info
(Yesterday, 08:52 AM)akbkr23 Wrote: Back in 2015, when there was an 'issue' with some of the Mongoose HANDLES in-regards to threading onto the heads of the razors, I purchased a M5x0.8mm TAP
I ALSO purchased a high-quality Starrett (brand) Tap Wrench (Model 93B, with a 1/4" to 1/2" tap size capacity) on ebay (These are from about $25 used to $40 new).
I also bought a small (1/3 Fluid oz.) drip tube of Cutting OIL to lubricate the Tap & threads (also on ebay).
Since then, when I purchase a new handle, I 'run it through the handle threads'. This USUALLY works to 'free-up' some tolerance to 'enable' the handles to thread more easily,
or at least WORK.
It varies with different handles. My earlier STORK handles especially need this 'encouragement', the newer ones seem better.
The threads on various razors ALSO vary. My Sabre (with it 'unusual' NON-round threads is especially difficult, and there is one handle that seemed to require 'Too Much'
encouragement, and I decided NOT to force it in-order get it to work with the Sabre).

I do NOT own a Paradigm 17-4 razor, so I can NOT comment in-regards to it, but the above technique has worked on MANY handles for me, since 2015.

BTW: Vintage Gillette razors (and Charcoal Goods) with the (apparently looser) #10-32 threads don't seem to require 'this treatment'.

So are you referring to re-tapping the Mongoose handles because they would not screw on the threads of the Mongoose head correctly??  
 Just curious as i have owned numerous razors over the years and never have i had to re-tap any handle threads. I do have a habit of cleaning the handle threads out good on any new razor.

BTW .. good to put that disclaimer, i worked in machining several years but for someone with zero experience they could mess the threads up on a very expensive razor handle trying this

34 593
 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
User Info
(Yesterday, 10:17 AM)CzechCzar Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 12:13 PM)kyproset Wrote: Ordered mine today from Boolgoose, it will propably arrive sometime next week.
From speaking with Andrew, I now understand that smoothness and efficiency are inversly related. If you have a smooth razor, it will be inefficient. If efficient it will not be smooth. It's a kind of trade-off of sorts. Andrew has nailed the thing and has managed to produce the 17-4 which at the same time is both efficient and smooth, quite a rare thing.
This I can testify with my Rockwell 6S, which is my smoothest DE but even with plate 6 and a feather it's still not efficient enough. Use a couple of shims and you get the efficiency at the expense of smoothness.
This is the reason I stopped using my DE's and almost exclussively use the Sabre@2 and the El-Jefe on prolines. Both are effective and smooth, but they are SE and Gem respectively, not DE's.
I would love to see how your SEs compare!

It beats all my SE's for smoothness. Today I tried it against my El-Jefe on a Proline, which is my smoothest SE. No comparison, the 17-4 is way smoother and as efficient. My other SE's include the General, Sabre, ATT Gem, ATT SE2, RX, ER 1924, Hawk, Claymore, it's also smoother than all my injectors too.

0 361
 Yesterday, 02:35 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 10:38 AM)LuvWetShavin Wrote:
(Yesterday, 08:52 AM)akbkr23 Wrote: Back in 2015, when there was an 'issue' with some of the Mongoose HANDLES in-regards to threading onto the heads of the razors, I purchased a M5x0.8mm TAP
or at least WORK.

So are you referring to re-tapping the Mongoose handles because they would not screw on the threads of the Mongoose head correctly??  
 Just curious as i have owned numerous razors over the years and never have i had to re-tap any handle threads. I do have a habit of cleaning the handle threads out good on any new razor.

BTW .. good to put that disclaimer, i worked in machining several years but for someone with zero experience they could mess the threads up on a very expensive razor handle trying this
What I do is NOT 'RE-TAPP' the Handles as much as 'CHASE' the threads. More of a 'Clean-UP' operation which is pretty common when ever you have threads that are not exactly
working properly or have some 'stuff' or debris that has gotten into the threads. You are correct in that you need to be careful and probably need to 'chase' the threads incrementally via
several applications (cleaning the tap and threads after each application).
This is a common practice in automotive applications, but it REALLY helps to have some skill, knowledge, and experience in this area. As you said, it is easy to mess up ANY 'repair'
if you lack those qualities. NO 'ham-fisted' applications needed or desired! Wink

51 431
 Yesterday, 02:49 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 02:35 PM)akbkr23 Wrote:
(Yesterday, 10:38 AM)LuvWetShavin Wrote:
or at least WORK.

What I do is NOT 'RE-TAPP' the Handles as much as 'CHASE' the threads. More of a 'Clean-UP' operation which is pretty common when ever you have threads that are not exactly
working properly or have some 'stuff' or debris that has gotten into the threads. You are correct in that you need to be careful and probably need to 'chase' the threads incrementally via
several applications (cleaning the tap and threads after each application).
This is a common practice in automotive applications, but it REALLY helps to have some skill, knowledge, and experience in this area. As you said, it is easy to mess up ANY 'repair'
if you lack those qualities. NO 'ham-fisted' applications needed or desired! Wink

I knew what you meant, i just didn't want someone running out buying taps, wrenches and trying this if they don't know what they're doing.

34 593
 11 hours ago
User Info
 I did do a comparison shave today using the 2013 R41 and Paradigm 17-4 using a Personna Red in both razors and it was pretty much a dead even end result except for two things. The Paradigm was much smoother especially on the ATG pass and I felt like it has better glide as well. The R41 offers more blade feel and audio feedback for those that like that. I'm BBS on both sides but it took 3 passes and I think although I like the Personna Reds ( I have to thank Scott from North Shore for sending me some as they are his favorite blades )  I like the Paradigm better with the Polsilver and the R41 with a Kai as it doesn't normally take me a full 3 passes to get to the BBS shave like I got today with the correct blades in these 2 razors. Still got a nice irritation free shave though so no complaints. The Paradigm was smoother than the R41, demanded less attention and I gave the Paradigm the more difficult side of my face and neck to shave so I've got to give it the win in this shave comparison. Next up I'd like to do a shave off with my Timeless .95 OC and the Paradigm 17-4 just to compare these two. This time I'll use my favorite blades in each razor. I'm wondering if any members have tried that match up yet?

0 160
 6 hours ago
User Info
(01-18-2018, 07:39 AM)motto Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 06:35 AM)kyproset Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 02:28 PM)LuvWetShavin Wrote: I actually like the looks of the handle, it's unlike the looks of any other handle i own and the finish on it is really top notch
I tested some handles with the 17-4.
While my UFO Colibri in SS and a UFO Titian Fine do not fit the Paradigm 17-4, the UFO Grand Titan L and my UFO Tornado XL both work perfectly. I tested also some TI Storck handles; with all of them I feel a large amount of resistance after the first turns and I do not like to use any force. Last I tried a Triad Helix in SS which worked just fine with the 17-4. As mentioned before here fit of custom handles on 17-4 head is random.
By the way: Paradigm TI handle and 17-4 head fit together nice.
Marco

If my Stork doesn't fit, Ill put in Andy in contact with Stork and ask what to do. I'm sure they will come up with the right tap to use.
This is the Stork in the mail.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...pe=3&ifg=1

0 361