12-06-2017, 12:14 AM
User Info
(12-04-2017, 07:04 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Unrefined Shea butter seems to come up often, I wonder if that is the ingredient in aquafor that stands out. For those that use it in their hair, does it add luster like Jajoba/argon oil? (off topic, I know!)

After years of using it, I never looked at the label and realized it had shea butter. Like I mentioned earlier, I used this stuff like crazy when I was in high school and on acutane. Not sure what makes it works, but it’s amaizng. Could also be the petroleum jelly in it because over Thanksgiving I was at my Aunt in Mt. Ida which Is in the middle of nowhere and the only thing I had available was Vaseline she had and it seemed to work pretty well. Like others have mentioned I have extremely dry hands also, probably from the acutane years back and I’ll say the Shea butter works wonders for them.

16 1,076
 12-20-2017, 02:48 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Run a lot - all year round, rain, sleet, snow or shine.  Sounds gay but Milano has this clear lip balm made with coconut that works wonders - Moisture Lock Oil Infused Lip Treatment, clear of course.  Really works better than anything else. Tried based on wife rec

1 173
 12-20-2017, 02:49 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Odd you mention Accutane and skin hangovers, used it as adult to clear post shave outbreaks.

1 173
 12-21-2017, 01:11 PM
User Info
(12-20-2017, 02:49 PM)DanLaw Wrote: Odd you mention Accutane and skin hangovers, used it as adult to clear post shave outbreaks.

When you used it did the person who issued it have your liver checked every month. I’m pretty sure it was always know to have it’s issues, but it’s funny seeing commenefials about it on tv saying if you took it to call the number to join in on the multimillion dollar lawsuit if you suffer from IBS

16 1,076
 12-30-2017, 06:07 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Yes; when requesting the perscription, he made that the sole condition for issuance. It worked wonders but good God did it desicate the body. Was competitive cyclist at time doing 300+hard training miles week in Southern Summer heat plus running and tennis. Literally was walking dead during the year used and took years to recover core hydration/fitness/endurance.

1 173
 12-30-2017, 07:39 AM
User Info
I'll second Carmex in the little jar... use it daily whether you need to or not.. a Godsend!

0 378
 12-30-2017, 11:24 AM
User Info
I’ll also add if I didn’t previously that EOS is very good stuff. It’s something my wife makes fun of me for using, but if you i have severe chapped lips in winter like me, you’ll use anything that works.

16 1,076
 12-30-2017, 04:59 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I gave my wifemate both Aquaphor and o'Keefes.

She trashed them both.  The Aquaphor is a squeeze tube with a smear tip.  She prefers the stick format.
The OKeefes I gave her was the Cooling Relief.  She said whatever the  cooling ingredient was did NOT soothe her lips.  Quite the opposite.

She returned to Herbacin

[Image: ZV9rCId.jpg]

62 1,718
 01-01-2018, 05:47 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
The best way to not have chapped lips is to not put anything on them.

80 3,322
 01-05-2018, 06:38 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Nero please elaborate; not to be churlish but that goes against anecdotal life experience. However realize anecdotal experience is prone to lead to erroneous conclusions

1 173
 01-05-2018, 07:02 PM
User Info
I spent 10+ years not putting anything on my lips and can tell you with confidence, that is not the answer to chapped lips.

29 1,380
 01-06-2018, 06:11 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Hm.
I can tell you that every single time I put something on my lips that I end up with worse chapped lips. I've heard countless others (skiers, no less) say the same thing. And I am surprised my post doesn't have fourty +1s by now.

80 3,322
 01-06-2018, 06:17 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Here you go... first hit on a google search gave me an article from Penn State University...

"The lip balm interferes with the signaling between the dying cells and the mechanism that produces new healthy cells. As a result, the lips are prevented from replenishing the cells and healing your chapped lips. This makes the chapped lips worse causing you to again apply chapstick. This process repeats over and over and your lips become more chapped than they were before you started using the product."

This is exactly my experience and the others as I mentioned above.

80 3,322
 01-06-2018, 07:25 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
During winter months, I use a lip balm almost every day. My lips seem to be very sensitive. I buy them from iherb. I can't remember the brand at this moment, but they work like charm and they're organic too. This eshop has fantastic products at an affordable price.

57 2,181
 01-06-2018, 10:07 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Quote:Here you go... first hit on a google search gave me an article from Penn State University...

Haha, well there's your problem right there...just kidding, an old PA joke.

Hard to argue a scientific study.  My experience has been, particularly when dry and high UV, that the balm helps protect from sunburn.  Hate wearing balm but without it definitely get burnt and peeling lips.

1 173
 01-06-2018, 12:03 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-06-2018, 07:25 AM)nikos.a Wrote: During winter months, I use a lip balm almost every day.

Nikos,

You're proving my point and the article's.

If you didn't use the lip balm at all, you wouldn't feel the need to use it every day.

I will say again, when I use lip balm on my chapped, dry lips, afterward they are more chapped and dry than before using it... and when I don't use balm, nature fixes the problem automatically.

(I'm not trying to be argumentative, just informative and share my experience and experience of others who I've had this exact conversation with. I've never, until this thread, heard anyone on the opposite side.)

80 3,322
 01-06-2018, 12:35 PM
User Info
I am not gonna dispute the article as I haven't done research as they've and I certainly don't have any scientific basis to back my argument, rather it's experience if that counts for anything. All i know is when I don't use Carmex in the winter for a day or a few, my lips get VERY dry and chapped and when I do use it, things go back to normal.

Also I am not sure if the article is addressing a specific balm or all balms in general. The fist sentence says "THE lip balm" not sure, have to read the article first

20 874
 01-06-2018, 01:52 PM
User Info
The article studies chapstick speficially, which is one of the brands I mentioned that doesn’t work for me. It does not cover other lip treatments, like petroleum/lanolin based items. As to my original point:

1. Chapstick doesn’t work for me - so I agree with the penn state article, but I was looking for an alternative.
2. Applying nothing (10+ years exp.) isn’t a viable option - it doesn’t help recovery, doesn’t prevent, doesn’t reduce occurrences of chapped lips.
3. Aquaphor is different: it forms a semi-occlusive barrier on the skin. This enables the transmission of water and oxygen, which is important for wound healing and the formation of a protective moist healing environment (from wikipedia). This option is much better than the first two.

29 1,380
 01-06-2018, 04:42 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Ok, if you must use something, I would test straight natural oils such as organic coconut oil or organic shea butter. Etc.

But I have not done that because applying nothing to my chapped lips works for me if I just let my body and a couple days' time take care of it.

80 3,322
 01-06-2018, 05:30 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I am a physician and a scientist, although not a dermatologist, and generally use research as my guide. However, my experience has been the opposite of what's implied. I spent two years in the sweltering jungles of Vietnam, at least that much time exposed to salt air aboard ships, and much of my life has been spent on cold, windy, yet often sunny ski slopes. If a medicated lip balm wasn't used to treat burned and lips starting to crack, a much more severe problem would develop. However, I'm not talking about a wax coating on lips that are somewhat dry, or cheap, artificially flavored products that taste good, but products that will nourish and help heal damaged skin, just as you would treat other areas of the skin on your face, as well as areas exposed to sun, wind and extreme temperatures. Anyone who labors in the hot sun all day would agree that you need to take care of your skin and lips.

38 5,506