12-02-2017, 10:57 PM
User Info
For those that have hard water and have tried distilled water, I’ve read to heat or boil it before using. What’s the reason behind this?

17 1,088
 12-03-2017, 12:38 AM
User Info
(12-02-2017, 10:57 PM)tsimmns Wrote: For those that have hard water and have tried distilled water, I’ve read to heat or boil it before using.  What’s the reason behind this?

Do you mean do you warm up the distilled water? You can to see if the warmer than room temperature feels more pleasant or less pleasant to your skin. I would advise to stay away from using a lot of hot temperature hard tap water on your face and/or in general. Reason being if a hard water source is ran through the pipes, it is less likely to collect and hold more hard water minerals. The ones I remember being mentioned are calcium and magnesium so even if you can't have access to a water heater or even distilled water, you can use tap without the necessity of feeling like it is beneficial in every way.

If someone finds hot water can lead them to a more comfortable shave, please be careful not to damage the skin. If it is at least warm, I can happily use it to soak the badger knot, wet the soap if needed, rinse my face, and get going on a face lather. I do use my tap water to fill a small bowl that I rinse the razor in while doing the passes.

83 1,607
 12-07-2017, 01:23 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Only use distlled cold water. Hot lather feels good but causes much more irritation on myface

3 292
 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM
User Info
I think the reason for heating it up is just comfort, as others said. I use warm water in the sink, so if I used distilled water I'd want the same. Using distilled water made a very big improvement when I used Mystic Waters.

6 1,005