12-03-2017, 06:22 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
Need some help everyone. My grandpa gave me a Red Dot D-1 that has the standard bottom twist handle and I have waited a while to get it re-plated and tuned up.

Who do you all recommend and is Rhodium the most durable way to go?

Many thanks! Happy sunday!

Jason

105 1,700
 12-03-2017, 08:53 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-03-2017, 06:22 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: Need some help everyone.  My grandpa gave me a Red Dot D-1 that has the standard bottom twist handle and I have waited a while to get it re-plated and tuned up.  

Many thanks!  Happy sunday!

Jason

54 664
 12-03-2017, 08:59 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-03-2017, 06:22 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: Need some help everyone.  My grandpa gave me a Red Dot D-1 that has the standard bottom twist handle and I have waited a while to get it re-plated and tuned up.  

Many thanks!  Happy sunday!

Jason

There are 2 places I would recommend Razor Emporium and RazorPlate. You would get faster turn around with RE (prices are comparable). Other people might have s different option but RE has done 1000,s of replates and repairs over the last 3 years since they have brought the plating in house, and their work has been consistency good (i,ve had them replate other people's bad work).

Over the last 5-6 years i,ve had over 50 or so razors replated by them besides using their tune up service for polishing, repair and creative experimenting. The last 3 years I have had the best work from them and they honor their guarrentee. Hope this helps

54 664
 12-05-2017, 07:38 PM
User Info
IMO and experience, IF you're going to replate an authentic red dot fatboy, do it in the original nickel.  I've done several razors in rhodium and, to me, it's overrated.  True, the finish should last longer than nickel but the nickel will probably outlast YOU so why spend the extra $$$?

I haven't had anything replated by RE recently so my question is do they completely dismantle the razor before cleaning and replating or do they just replate the exposed surfaces?  IF you deal with Chris at razorplate, you have the option of going through CAP Murphy (email:  vintagerazorrepair@gmail.com) first where he will dismantle the razor, fix anything that needs fixing, ship the pieces to razorplate for replating.  Razorplate will, then, ship the pieces back to CAP Murphy for re-assembly and a final check for proper  operation.  There is a very small, reasonable, charge by CAP for his part in this  and, IMO again, the longer wait for replating from razorplate is well worth the extra time.

I'm interested in your thoughts on these options.

Mike

3 98
 12-05-2017, 08:01 PM
User Info
I inherited a 1955 gold Gillette Diplomat from my dad, and had it "revamped" at Razor Emporium. Before plating, their standard procedure AFAIK involves removing old plating, tearing it apart, fixing everything that needs fixing, tune-up, and replating. Results were top notch. I would recommend them.

16 352
 12-06-2017, 12:15 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Re-plate in the original nickel. 

Is it so bad it needs replating? Do you have a picture?

0 1,987
 12-06-2017, 04:20 AM
User Info
I love the razor Emporium. Have done quite a bit of business with them the last few years. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 46
 12-06-2017, 05:28 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
[Image: VQRYvTn.jpg]

[Image: BQWDch6.jpg]
[Image: PdKFyx6.jpg]

Here she is.  I think you all have me convinced to do nickel. 

Razor Emporium is a bit steep at $139 for a Red Dot ... how much is RazorPlate?

105 1,700
 12-06-2017, 12:12 PM
User Info
Sign up for razor emporium email list and you will get a coupon off service. I have bought 2 from them and I think it was top notch

17 318
 12-07-2017, 09:53 PM
User Info
In my opinion it doesn't get any better than the combo of Cap and Chris when it comes to a replate.  I've trusted them with some of my very rare razors. It may take a little longer but the quality of their work is known in the shaving communities the world over. I also like their honesty. They won't blow sunshine up your behind, telling you what you want to hear and they can do any razor in any finish. They will tell you if they think what you're asking them to do is not a good idea and all the reasons why it's not a good idea.

0 239
 12-08-2017, 07:37 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(12-07-2017, 09:53 PM)Wanderer66 Wrote: In my opinion it doesn't get any better than the combo of Cap and Chris when it comes to a replate.  I've trusted them with some of my very rare razors. It may take a little longer but the quality of their work is known in the shaving communities the world over. I also like their honesty. They won't blow sunshine up your behind, telling you what you want to hear and they can do any razor in any finish. They will tell you if they think what you're asking them to do is not a good idea and all the reasons why it's not a good idea.

+1.. I've had them do a few and agree they are worth the wait. Very transparent operation.

90 1,701
 12-10-2017, 06:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve used RE and RazorPlate. My preference is RazorPlate for quality of work and for communication. It doesn’t matter how long the job takes. The time difference is small and moot. Imo Chris is the best way to go. He is a craftsman and gentleman.

10 3,128
 12-11-2017, 07:05 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
(12-06-2017, 12:15 AM)Shaun Wrote: Re-plate in the original nickel. 

Is it so bad it needs replating? Do you have a picture?
You all have sold me.

105 1,700
 12-11-2017, 08:20 AM
User Info
(12-10-2017, 06:28 AM)chazt Wrote: I’ve used RE and RazorPlate. My preference is RazorPlate for quality of work and for communication. It doesn’t matter how long the job takes. The time difference is small and moot. Imo Chris is the best way to go. He is a craftsman and gentleman.

+ 1 100% and let's not forget Cap. He is meticulous in the way he takes a razor apart but also in the way he cleans them before they go to Chris.  What a lot of people don't know is even though a razor can look great on the outside the insides can be loaded with gunk which can hinder or eventually bind a razor. This is especially true of adjustable and TTO razors.

0 239
 12-11-2017, 01:10 PM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
(12-11-2017, 08:20 AM)Wanderer66 Wrote:
(12-10-2017, 06:28 AM)chazt Wrote: I’ve used RE and RazorPlate. My preference is RazorPlate for quality of work and for communication. It doesn’t matter how long the job takes. The time difference is small and moot. Imo Chris is the best way to go. He is a craftsman and gentleman.

+ 1 100% and let's not forget Cap. He is meticulous in the way he takes a razor apart but also in the way he cleans them before they go to Chris.  What a lot of people don't know is even though a razor can look great on the outside the insides can be loaded with gunk which can hinder or eventually bind a razor. This is especially true of adjustable and TTO razors.

I’m going the CAP & Chris route for sure.

I’ll post pics when it get it back in 6 weeks or so.

105 1,700
 12-11-2017, 02:09 PM
User Info
(12-11-2017, 01:10 PM)Boonie21 Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 08:20 AM)Wanderer66 Wrote:

I’m going the CAP & Chris route for sure.  

I’ll post pics when it get it back in 6 weeks or so.
It's going to be awesome and you are going to love it.  I can't wait to see the pics.

3 1,932
 12-12-2017, 02:36 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
RazorPlate is a good choice, he does great work.
Great razor and looking forward to the after pictures.

2 523
 12-12-2017, 02:47 PM
User Info
Yes, we'll definitely look forward to pictures of the replated razor.

53 8,233
 12-17-2017, 08:04 PM
User Info
Ditto -- would love to see the "after." Thumbup

0 450