05-27-2018, 10:59 AM
User Info
A polishing job well done. If it improves the shave, I'll do it on mine too.

0 446
 05-27-2018, 01:22 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Thank you!n The polishing did improve it for me, but YMMV

116 1,683
 05-29-2018, 05:21 AM
User Info
Can anyone compare the Karve with the Rex adjustable. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

26 760
 06-01-2018, 06:07 AM
User Info
I am 14 hrs post shave with the F plate using an Astra SP. I am just starting to feel some stubble. There is more blade feel than the Paradigm 17-4 but still very smooth. This is a very good razor and the shave efficiency of the F plate is hard to argue with. The fit and build quality is excellent The finish IMHO is not equal to Wolfman, Timeless or Paradigm and it does not have the Artistic look of a Charcoal Goods but the shave is in the same league as these other excellent razors. For me this is the first “affordable “ razor that shaves as well as the high priced modern razors. I did get very good shaves with the D plate but only with a Kai blade. The E&F plates are giving great shaves with any of my blades. The F is giving me a longer BBS than the E but I will need to use them both for a few more weeks to see if this pattern continues. Just my opinion as I continue to use the Karve

11 247
 06-01-2018, 09:10 AM
User Info
Good review. Thanks Shavemd
I had my first shave with my Karve plate F. All that it has been said about this razor and the F plate it’s true. Amazing shave, you could feel the blade but very efficient and smooth. Tumbes up Chris!!
The only thing that I could see was that, because it is made out of brass, it began already creating a patina after my first shave. I may want to decide to polish it as other member in this blog showed pictures of.
No complains about my Karve. Excellent shaving result, very cool look and both for a super competitive price.

0 21
 06-02-2018, 09:14 AM
User Info
In case anybody gets bored with their Karve or misses the Blackbird you traded....SimplexKarve... great combination.[Image: fb35395e01095ed39eb4ef023d8710e0.jpg]

1 339
 06-08-2018, 11:14 PM
User Info
Mine arrived, what a shave with the D tplate. I also have the E plate which is a tad more efficient and as smooth, but as long as the D does the job, I'll be using the D.

0 446
 06-09-2018, 03:48 AM
User Info
Used mine this morning with the E plate. Probably the best value out there for a quality razor.

135 13,634
 06-09-2018, 07:15 AM
User Info
I purchased a Karve with the 3.5" handle and the F plate. For me, I still find the 17-4 to be the smoothest and most efficient razor I have but it is hard to argue with the shave quality of the Karve along with its affordable price. The shave of the F plate is still amazingly efficient and smooth and well worth the money.

22 264
 06-09-2018, 07:48 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(06-09-2018, 07:15 AM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: I purchased a Karve with the 3.5" handle and the F plate. For me, I still find the 17-4 to be the smoothest and most efficient razor I have but it is hard to argue with the shave quality of the Karve along with its affordable price. The shave of the F plate is still amazingly efficient and smooth and well worth the money.

I purchased the same combination as you, but find that a "G" plate (not in existence... yet) would be the ideal combination. A very good razor and price, but my Paradigm DE Ti Gen 1 still holds the title for my best DE.

13 658
 06-09-2018, 09:00 AM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(06-09-2018, 07:48 AM)Entasis Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 07:15 AM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: I purchased a Karve with the 3.5" handle and the F plate. For me, I still find the 17-4 to be the smoothest and most efficient razor I have but it is hard to argue with the shave quality of the Karve along with its affordable price. The shave of the F plate is still amazingly efficient and smooth and well worth the money.

I purchased the same combination as you, but find that a "G" plate (not in existence... yet) would be the ideal combination. A very good razor and price, but my Paradigm DE Ti Gen 1 still holds the title for my best DE.

I'm enjoying my F plate, which is a noticeable improvement over the D plate on my face. I suspect I would like the G. I missed the Paradigm Ti I, but find the 17-4 to be a bit more efficient and pleasant-to-use than the Karve/F. I have the 3" handle, and use Kai blades.

10 532
 06-26-2018, 02:46 PM
User Info
(12-04-2017, 11:35 AM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 11:22 AM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: I saw this online about a week ago. I am waiting to hear about the most aggressive base plate before I jump in. It looks very nice though and great price point.

Yeah, but $25 shipping to the US is a bit much. But, I am definitely intrigued.

CAD$ 12.50 to NYC

0 13
 06-28-2018, 05:53 AM
User Info
(05-27-2018, 10:24 AM)ARGH Wrote: Just finished my full 3-pass shave with the E-plate (polished). Subjectively, the polished finish does improve the shaving experience noticeably - the end result was a perfect BBS after the third pass; no buffing or clean up was needed. The polished top cap glides effortlessly and is much easier to clean after the shave...

[Image: 7t3Gtkj.jpg]

What is your method/stuff to polish this razor ?

0 23
 06-28-2018, 08:19 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I am expecting the razor this week. Can someone publish their polishing method ?

79 1,152
 06-28-2018, 09:25 AM
User Info
I've had a chance now to use the Karve with both E and F plates.  Both plates are excellent, and although I haven't tried the plates lower on the alphabet, my impression is that there isn't a lot of difference between E and F.  The F has a bit more blade feel, but both produce excellent results.  Both are smooth, comfortable, and produce excellent shaves.  I like an aggressive razor, but I also like an efficient razor -- one that produces excellent results without a sense of risk and without leaving one's face feeling scraped.  The Karve E and F plates produce this.

In my view, this razor has to qualify as one of the best bargains in the market today.

12 257
 06-28-2018, 10:20 AM
User Info
(06-28-2018, 09:25 AM)BrickHud Wrote: I've had a chance now to use the Karve with both E and F plates.  Both plates are excellent, and although I haven't tried the plates lower on the alphabet, my impression is that there isn't a lot of difference between E and F.  The F has a bit more blade feel, but both produce excellent results.  Both are smooth, comfortable, and produce excellent shaves...

What you recommend if i want similar feel like Rockwell 6s plate 4 and 5 ?  Maybe C and E guard ??

0 23
 06-28-2018, 10:34 AM
User Info
I have the D&E plates and to tell the truth the D is efficient enough for me. Having said that , the 6S on plate 6 is not efficient enough if I have a three day stubble. It's great for everyday shaving, but canot handle a multiple day growth. The D is good enough, so I haven't tried the E yet. Does the F plate means more blade feel?

0 446
 06-28-2018, 03:32 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(06-28-2018, 05:53 AM)am8119 Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 10:24 AM)ARGH Wrote: Just finished my full 3-pass shave with the E-plate (polished). Subjectively, the polished finish does improve the shaving experience noticeably - the end result was a perfect BBS after the third pass; no buffing or clean up was needed. The polished top cap glides effortlessly and is much easier to clean after the shave...

[Image: 7t3Gtkj.jpg]

What is your method/stuff to polish this razor ?

To polish it you would need a set of the wet-dry sand paper ranging from 800 grit to at least 3000 grit. After the 3000 grit paper I used a handheld cordless Dremel/buffing wheel with some jewelers polishing compound.  But that might not be necessary if you would be willing to put in extra time and effort to hand-finish the surfaces. The quality of the razor is pretty high, so I did not need to spend too much time going through the sand paper progression - about 2 minutes with 800grit, 3 minutes with 1000grit , 3 minutes with 2000 and 3 minutes with 3000. Brass is rather soft and it is fun to polish. I change stroke direction between 800grit and 1000grit and continue in the same direction as the grit gets finer. The last minute with the 3000grit I polish with water flowing over the surface. At the end, if you do not use Dremel, you could use some polishing cloth (available on Amazon) and the yellow jewelers compound to bring the finish to the mirror shine, though it would take a bit more time.

Hope it helps!

116 1,683
 06-28-2018, 04:45 PM
User Info
(06-28-2018, 10:20 AM)am8119 Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 09:25 AM)BrickHud Wrote: I've had a chance now to use the Karve with both E and F plates.  Both plates are excellent, and although I haven't tried the plates lower on the alphabet, my impression is that there isn't a lot of difference between E and F.  The F has a bit more blade feel, but both produce excellent results.  Both are smooth, comfortable, and produce excellent shaves...

What you recommend if i want similar feel like Rockwell 6s plate 4 and 5 ?  Maybe C and E guard ??

I find it tough to compare razors like that because of the other variables.  But maybe 6S plate 5 is close to the Karve E.

(06-28-2018, 10:34 AM)kyproset Wrote: I have the D&E plates and to tell the truth the D is efficient enough for me. Having said that , the 6S on plate 6 is not efficient enough if I have a three day stubble. It's great for everyday shaving, but canot handle a multiple day growth. The D is good enough, so I haven't tried the E yet. Does the F plate means more blade feel?

In my experience, the primary difference between the E and F plates is that the F plate has more blade feel.  The shave results seem pretty similar to my face.

12 257
 08-17-2018, 06:09 AM
User Info
I've had the Karve razor and have put in about 10-12 shaves with it and just had my first shave last night with the F plate. 

I wrote my thoughts and experience on another forum and just copied it to here. 

From my last shave with the Karve and E plate, I decided to give myself a couple of days of growth and see how the F plate would fair. I used the same Astra SP blade with one shave on it and got set up. I wasn’t expecting equal smoothness to the D or E plate and honestly I wanted a step up in efficiency and blade feel and wouldn’t mind sacrificing a bit of smoothness to get it.

Well, I got what I wanted and in spades. Yet, to me the F plate still gave me a relatively smooth feeling shave that was comfortable and easy to manage with sound technique. No, you don’t need Ikon Tech touch or technique, far from it but, you still have to show a tad of awareness cause if you slip up, it can bite a bit. I was actually quite surprised and pleased at the amount of hair it removed on the first pass alone. Like I said very good efficient feel with a nice forward blade feel to it. Not aggressive gents, just nice blade feel and a nice sounding cutting action.

I can’t compare the Karve with some of the Higher end razors such as a Timeless .95 SB/OC, Charcoal Goods L2 or L3 or any Wolfman in .80/.86 gaps for I don’t have either one of those. Plus the Gents that have posted prior to me here have given excellent renderings with the razors I’ve mentioned on comparison values to the Karve. I don’t have a high end DE to compare it to besides a Dart & Blackbird and a Rex Ambassador. The first 2 Blackland razors I get a bit more in blade feel and efficiency with just a whisker less smoothness compared to the Karve. With the Rex I get a bit less blade feel, but almost if not equally smooth to the Karve. Actually, the only razor that I have that actually feels like the Karve “F” in both efficiency and smoothness is an SE, the Cobra Classic. The Cobra feels like it hugs my face more but, they are very similar in feel and shave action.

To sum it up, it’s just an excellent shave system with perhaps the best bang pound for pound for your hard earned $$$. It stacks up very well with any razor I have in my den regardless of format, including straights. I’m going to put in a full months worth of shaves just to fiddle with it a bit but, I know the outcome. It’s a hell of a razor.....

[Image: rqHAsiR.jpg]

1 203