12-08-2017, 12:26 PM
User Info
As a result of some unexpected results in Nero's Glide pass-around (regarding post shave), it got me wondering. Can hard water, which we know affects lather, also affect post shave? My hypothesis is that it is plausible that some compounds or fats dissipate or react poorly to mineral content of the water, and others don't. But I'm no chemist.

6 1,005
 12-08-2017, 12:52 PM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
I can only comment based on my experience:

I recently moved to a new apartment, and I am having all sorts of issues lathering some soaps that I didn't have difficulty before. Also soap scums have become to clean. So I am assuming my water is harder here compared to my previous residence. ( I can't confirm)

I am getting similar great post-shaves from products I used to get great post shaves (Nuavia, Mystic Water, MWF, Stirling Electric Sheep, Mike's to name a few). At the same time, the soaps that didn't give me the best of post-shave results, aren't working any better in that department either.

But it would be interested to hear some other perspectives preferably based on scientific explanations.

5 97
 12-08-2017, 05:31 PM
User Info
I have extremely hard water here in LA. My home has a water softening system, my studio does not. I only notice a slight difference in lathering between places. Absolutely zero difference in post shave.I honestly believe that while it does have an effect, hard water and lathering issues are a bit overblown.

BTW, the best post shaves I'm currently getting are from CRSW Glide and Grooming Dept Mallard. The worst is B&M Reserve.

0 114
 12-08-2017, 05:43 PM
User Info
My Texas water is 160-180ppm. So considered very hard. It does seem to play a small role in lathering soaps, some worse than others. I have not seen any correlation between hard water and post shave. I do notice that some soaps like B&M have a more sticky and/or tacky post shave when used in hard water. This makes sense.

I agree LAParker, CRSW Glide post shave is amazing as is Mystic Waters and Nuavia. Those three are my gold standard at the moment.

0 210
 12-08-2017, 05:53 PM
User Info
I've read an excess of glycerin can draw moisture from the skin. Seeing as how it's the 2nd ingredient in B&M Reserve and 3rd in Glissant I'm wondering if that accounts for the poor post shave I get from those soaps?

0 114
 12-08-2017, 06:02 PM
User Info
Interesting. A quick search shows that with humidity levels below 65% glycerin can draw moisture from the skin. Could be the reason? I do know that glycerin is sticky and/or tacky. With that amount of glycerin in a shaving soap perhaps that is the reason so many are finding such a poor post shave with B&M soap and could very well account for the tackiness. I have a couple other soaps that have the same feeling, I'll have to check the ingredients on those now.

0 210
 12-08-2017, 08:20 PM
User Info
(12-08-2017, 05:31 PM)LAParker Wrote: I have extremely hard water here in LA. My home has a water softening system, my studio does not. I only notice a slight difference in lathering between places. Absolutely zero difference in post shave.I honestly believe that while it does have an effect, hard water and lathering issues are a bit overblown.

BTW, the best post shaves I'm currently getting are from CRSW Glide and Grooming Dept Mallard. The worst is B&M Reserve.

I would also agree with this statement. 

Regarding hard water affecting post-shave, I have never encountered that is does. If a soap has or doesn't have good post-shave, it won't change depending on the water, from my experience.

89 21,218
 12-08-2017, 08:41 PM
User Info
My wife the rock star soap maker in our family and I were looking at ingredients in the more highly rated soaps the other night. B&M Reserve ingredients stood out among the artisan soap makers as one of the only ones using a synthetic detergent and in pretty big proportion. Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate is a detergent and detergents are water soluble in all types of water and is a very effective cleaner. It lathers really easily and cleans really good in hard water. I think that's why Reserve is so easy to lather. But it doesnt add anything good for skin conditioner or post shave, and probably the opposite because of its cleaning. Maybe thats why its not as great for post shave as some of the best ones. B&M says "Absolute hard water tolerance" and maybe you are giving up some post shave to get easy lather. I've never thought Reserve was the greatest post shave. I think Glissant is better but still just average. She says that different oils, fats for post shave are'nt affected by hard water minerals if they are free floating in the soap. But soap can be harder to lather in hard water as we already know. She says citric acid helps make soap easy to lather in hard water.

0 67
 12-09-2017, 06:44 AM
User Info
Supposedly, the residue left behind by soap reacting to hard water can have a negative impact on your skin, so I'd say it's possible that hard water can affect your post shave.  I can't say I've really noticed a problem, but I've used Cleveland-area hard water all my life, so I've not really had much of a chance to determine if things are better with soft water.

0 1,159
 12-09-2017, 07:23 AM
User Info
I experience hard water here in Colorado, yet I can still get a good post-shave from a number of soaps. That said, air humidity levels affect post-shave far more (E.G., Denver may fluctuate between 35-55% during its drier months, like now). It’s very rare that I don’t use a balm following a shave.

29 1,569
 12-09-2017, 08:15 AM
User Info
I think maybe someone is looking to create a problem where none exists.

1 193
 03-04-2018, 08:23 AM
User Info
I think the soft water provided a softer after-shave feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 102