12-13-2017, 10:58 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I know many of you will have seen boar or horse-hair brushes very much in this style. I really like the look of them, although they can be more than a little rough on the face Smile

Today I came across another example, but stamped onto the base there was something rather unexpectedly nice. It says "Anthony Hordern Pharmacy", with a price still there, written in pencil: 4/11 (4 shillings and 11 pence).

This will be of some interest to Australian members, particularly those from NSW. Anthony Hordern's was a very large department store based here in Sydney, once the largest  store of its kind in the world, but it sadly went into decline some years back now. At any rate, this relic from the past appears to be NOS, and had survived intact through time. The brand of the brush is "Holdfast" and I'm guessing it may hail from the 1930s. I don't know. I gave it a bath and shampoo and set Smile and here it is:

[Image: iQPpGSK.jpg]
[Image: rFbDwxO.jpg]

0 1,983
 12-14-2017, 04:18 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Nice Find!

65 5,220
 12-14-2017, 06:11 AM
User Info
I was intrigued to see the price listed in shillings. I looked it up, and I see that the Australian dollar replaced the Australian pound in February 1966.
When the pound was in effect as the nation's currency, there were 20 shillings to the pound and 12 pence per shilling.

10 1,048
 12-14-2017, 02:23 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(12-14-2017, 06:11 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: I was intrigued to see the price listed in shillings. I looked it up, and I see that the Australian dollar replaced the Australian pound in February 1966.
When the pound was in effect as the nation's currency, there were 20 shillings to the pound and 12 pence per shilling.

Yes, that's right. I remember the advertisements on TV here in Australia for the change to decimal currency. The ditty concluded with something like "So get ready, folks, when the coins begin to mix, on the 14th of February, 1966!" There was a cartoon character called "Dollar Bill" sang us through the changes. 

Pounds, shillings and pence: "LSD", yes, really. As a boy I remember farthings and ha'pennies, too, as well as thrupenny bits, sixpences (or "tanners"); shillings; two-bob or a Florin; half a crown, or two shillings and sixpence; five bob;  the ten-bob note (half of one pound).... 240 pence to the pound...all that. Decimalisation was good, except that with a shilling you could buy 12 one-penny sweets, but with the 10c only ten. I preferred the shilling, of course Wink

As for the date of this brush, can't do any better that this advertisement I found, so 1930s as I guessed: pretty-well bang on:

[Image: iAGA2Jl.png]
[Image: GdWa1Eo.png]

0 1,983
 12-14-2017, 03:17 PM
User Info
The string grip is very interesting and cool.  A nice piece.  Shaun, you really come up with the coolest things!

23 1,938