E-Mail: H.L.Thaeter@nefkom.
Paul, thank you..

27 342
 05-02-2018, 06:43 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-01-2018, 11:22 PM)Galhatz Wrote: Phil contacted me and asked me to ship him the brush back for a replacement. My schedule these days is pretty hectic so I don't have the opportunity to check in here as often as usual. 

As I mentioned above,  I believe it was an error during manufacturing and does not reflect on the product line.

Thank you Phil for reaching out.

Pretty stand up thing for Phil to do.  I do hope you take him up on his offer.  You get a new brush and Thater can exam this one.  Win, win.

180 24,984
 07-15-2018, 07:32 PM
User Info
(12-16-2017, 07:31 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(12-16-2017, 07:07 AM)German Wrote: Looking forward to this discussion.

I am a big fan of Thäter badger brushes. I have tried boar several times and always dismissed them: while cheaper as a quality badger they never could compete in face feel for me.
Now $85 for a Thäter boar brush is A LOT of money for a boar with a better quality resin handle compared to Semogue etc. Seems hard to justify even when sourcing "very high quality bristle".
Looking forward to the reviews coming in.

Based on cost, the Thater beehive boar should retail for $95 and not $85. Consider it an introductory offer.

In regards to price, reference the 2011 Semogue LE. The two Semogue LE Boar brushes were both smaller brushes than the Thater and, they sold for $80 plus shipping over 6 years ago.

If you are going to criticize price, do your research. Just like the more expensive badger brushes, this bristle is hand sorted and the knots are hand tied. The cost of bulk badger hair from china is not significantly more expensive than premium boar bristle. The labor costs are the same. So...how do you figure this is a lot for a premium boar brush?

I have been reading most of the comments here concerning this Thater Boar brush and found it very interesting to read how some shavers view value versus cost when weighing up a product...so I thought that I would share my thoughts on the Thater Boar brush.
First of all I would like to say that 98% of the time i use a boar brush instead of a badger, I prefer the boar brushes over badger due to the soaps I use and i only face lather. I have found over the past 35 years of traditional wet shaving that for me boar brushes have always outperformed badger brushes based on my requirements and usage. Over the years I have tried and used probably all the of the brands of boar brushes from omega, semogue, mondial, zenith, ABC etc. etc. Yes I am one of those shavers that simply love boar brushes.

With regards to the Thater boar, I have been using this brush exclusively for the past 6 months on a daily basis except for weekends. I have totally fallen in love with this brush and rate it as the very best boar brush you can own...it is simply superior in every department compared to every other boar brush that I have used and own. I am of the belief that Thater looked at all the best boar brushes in the market and took all the best points that every manufacturer offers and combined it into one brush, the Thater brush. Every single important point has been addressed...from the knot size to the loft, from the premium bristles to the amount of bristles packed in the knot, from the quality handle to the complete overall balance and finish of the brush...it's simply a masterpiece.

With regards to the cost of this brush and value? well everyone perceives cost versus value differently so when i compare it to my premium badger brushes I own i will always choose this brush to use over the badger. Since I am a boar lover and appreciate quality and performance the price is not an issue...if this brush was priced at $250 I would simply buy it because to me it's the best brush i own that gives me the overall performance and satisfaction :-)

0 5
 07-16-2018, 04:28 AM
User Info
That's a great review 'tony61'.  I enjoy mine as well.

[Image: i6AaYdD.jpg]

5 1,788
 07-17-2018, 02:03 PM
User Info
Sooooo, I own 3 Thater boar brushes and these were the first boar brushes I have ever owned and I fell in love with them from first use on. I bought the black one first, then the ivory one and last, the tortoise one. I really love these brushes almost as much as my vast collection of Manchurian badger brushes. On a whim, I decided to get a Zenith boar because I liked the handle and wanted to try a less expensive boar brush. I can honestly say that this Zenith boar doesn’t come close to the hair quality of the Thater. The Thater allowed me to create rich lather from first use on and did not need a lot of break in time. Maybe this Zenith needs a lot more time to be “broken in” but I just am not impressed like I have been with the Thater’s. Anybody have any advice on the Zenith that may own one?
[Image: 32d2bba2aebd74044332476764ace70e.jpg][Image: da47a3b51f269b6b5b8795e7bc008c9e.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,168
 07-17-2018, 02:14 PM
User Info
(07-17-2018, 02:03 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Sooooo, I own 3 Thater boar brushes and these were the first boar brushes I have ever owned and I fell in love with them from first use on. I bought the black one first, then the ivory one and last, the tortoise one. I really love these brushes almost as much as my vast collection of Manchurian badger brushes. On a whim, I decided to get a Zenith boar because I liked the handle and wanted to try a less expensive boar brush. I can honestly say that this Zenith boar doesn’t come close to the hair quality of the Thater. The Thater allowed me to create rich lather from first use on and did not need a lot of break in time. Maybe this Zenith needs a lot more time to be “broken in” but I just am not impressed like I have been with the Thater’s. Anybody have any advice on the Zenith that may own one?
[Image: 32d2bba2aebd74044332476764ace70e.jpg][Image: da47a3b51f269b6b5b8795e7bc008c9e.jpg]

I have both brushes as well and the Zenith for me is as good as my thater it may take a little bit more time to break in but mine is wonderful. Your thater with the brown handle it's a little bit bigger knot a 27mm compared to a 26mm do you see a difference between that and your other thaters. Try soaking your brush in the refrigerator overnight a few times this may help soften up the tips of the zenith

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

26 777
 07-17-2018, 02:17 PM
User Info
(07-17-2018, 02:14 PM)rawfox1 Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 02:03 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Sooooo, I own 3 Thater boar brushes and these were the first boar brushes I have ever owned and I fell in love with them from first use on. I bought the black one first, then the ivory one and last, the tortoise one. I really love these brushes almost as much as my vast collection of Manchurian badger brushes. On a whim, I decided to get a Zenith boar because I liked the handle and wanted to try a less expensive boar brush. I can honestly say that this Zenith boar doesn’t come close to the hair quality of the Thater. The Thater allowed me to create rich lather from first use on and did not need a lot of break in time. Maybe this Zenith needs a lot more time to be “broken in” but I just am not impressed like I have been with the Thater’s. Anybody have any advice on the Zenith that may own one?

I have both brushes as well and the Zenith for me is as good as my thater it may take a little bit more time to break in but mine is wonderful. Your thater with the brown handle it's a little bit bigger knot a 27mm compared to a 26mm do you see a difference between that and your other thaters. Try soaking your brush in the refrigerator overnight a few times this may help soften up the tips of the zenith

I don’t feel much difference in the size. I will definitely give it a chance and try to break it in some more before I make my final determination on it. Thanks for the input @rawfox1!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 1,168
 07-17-2018, 02:20 PM
User Info
(07-17-2018, 02:17 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote:

I don’t feel much difference in the size. I will definitely give it a chance and try to break it in some more before I make my final determination on it. Thanks for the input @rawfox1!

Also I feel the Zenith has a little bit better backbone than the thater but I love them both. Trust me & work with the Zenith more just keep doing test lathers and the tips will be as soft as the Thater brakes in quicker

26 777
 07-17-2018, 02:24 PM
User Info
(07-17-2018, 02:20 PM)rawfox1 Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 02:17 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 02:14 PM)rawfox1 Wrote: I have both brushes as well and the Zenith for me is as good as my thater it may take a little bit more time to break in but mine is wonderful. Your thater with the brown handle it's a little bit bigger knot a 27mm compared to a 26mm do you see a difference between that and your other thaters. Try soaking your brush in the refrigerator overnight a few times this may help soften up the tips of the zenith

Also I feel the Zenith has a little bit better backbone than the thater but I love them both. Trust me & work with the Zenith more just keep doing test lathers and the tips will be as soft as the Thater brakes in quicker

Glad to hear it! Thanks man!!

3 1,168
 07-17-2018, 02:59 PM
User Info
I love that tortoise shell one. I am so tempted to pick one up. It's the best looking boar brush I have ever seen.

5 1,788
 07-17-2018, 03:01 PM
User Info
(07-17-2018, 02:59 PM)shave/brush Wrote: I love that tortoise shell one. I am so tempted to pick one up. It's the best looking boar brush I have ever seen.

Definitely my favorite!! Worth every penny!

3 1,168
 07-17-2018, 03:39 PM
User Info
(07-17-2018, 02:03 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Sooooo, I own 3 Thater boar brushes and these were the first boar brushes I have ever owned and I fell in love with them from first use on.  I bought the black one first, then the ivory one and last, the tortoise one.  I really love these brushes almost as much as my vast collection of Manchurian badger brushes.  On a whim, I decided to get a Zenith boar because I liked the handle and wanted to try a less expensive boar brush.  I can honestly say that this Zenith boar doesn’t come close to the hair quality of the Thater.  The Thater allowed me to create rich lather from first use on and did not need a lot of break in time.  Maybe this Zenith needs a lot more time to be “broken in” but I just am not impressed like I have been with the Thater’s.  Anybody have any advice on the Zenith that may own one?

I own a number of Zenith brushes, the professional aluminum handle brushes 26mm knot x 57,64,70mm lofts, a custom made brush with 28mm knot x 60mm loft and a few smaller brushes with a 24mm knot x 57mm loft. These brushes are very good and I have used them for years, however, after about 6 months use the brushes become slightly floppy and they loose their splay firmness so you end up painting lather on your face as opposed to a circling motion when you face lather...this is the main difference I have have noticed between the thater and the zenith.

Out of all my favorite boar brushes ( zenith, mondial, ABC ) the thater brush is the best without a doubt...the quality and the balance of the brush is unmatched.

0 5
 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM
User Info
I purchased an aluminum handle Zenith boar with a 26x55mm knot.

The Zenith is a very good value, and I like the look and feel of the aluminum handle.  However, I find the Thaters excel in all categories -  density, softness, backbone, and quality of handle.

53 8,119
 07-17-2018, 04:32 PM
User Info
(07-17-2018, 04:14 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I purchased an aluminum handle Zenith boar with a 26x55mm knot.

The Zenith is a very good value, and I like the look and feel of the aluminum handle.  However, I find the Thaters excel in all categories -  density, softness, backbone, and quality of handle.

I'm definitely of the same thought...the Zenith's are really good but the Thater is just special.

0 5
 07-17-2018, 08:40 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(07-17-2018, 04:14 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I purchased an aluminum handle Zenith boar with a 26x55mm knot.

I agree. I do like the ABC boar brush in the aluminum handle, but it's expensive. Overall, I'm preferring my two Thäters over my other boar brushes.

38 5,617
 07-18-2018, 05:27 PM
  • Cino
User Info
Dunno.   I have Semogues,  Omegas,  and a Thater.  They are all different and I like them all.

0 32
 07-29-2018, 07:10 PM
User Info
I find the Thater brush to be the best brush I ever used for bowl lathering. This does produce some great lather. Love this brush. The bristles just keep getting better.

[Image: uvteuQg.jpg]

5 1,788
 07-30-2018, 04:23 AM
User Info
The bristles on my Thater boar are just as soft feeling as my synthetic brushes. This brush is amazing. It is worth every penny it cost.

5 1,788
 07-30-2018, 10:43 AM
User Info
I can't believe I hadn't noticed this thread!  I have several high end badger and synthetic brushes that I can use to create great lather, but a few months ago on a whim I bought the Thater white beehive boar brush and it quickly became my go-to brush.  I liked it so much that I bought a second in tortoise shell so I could let them dry 48 hours between uses.  I could give a dozen reasons why I love this brush so much, but the most important is that my face and neck have finally cleared up.  I'm in my 50's and still suffer (I guess I should say suffered) from acne.  Is it the stiffness of the boar over badger that is helping exfoliate my skin?  Maybe.  Could I get the same results from a cheaper boar brush?  Again maybe, but why mess with something that works?  I will admit that I started using Mystic Water shaving soap and that had helped clear up my skin, but the Thater boar brush was the missing element that completed the process.  I didn't read the entire thread to see if anyone else had mentioned this, but if you suffer from acne, a boar brush might do the trick in clearing up your skin.  As an added bonus; these are the only brushes I've caught my girlfriend sniffing with a look of delight on her face!

0 61
 07-30-2018, 01:27 PM
User Info
(07-30-2018, 10:43 AM)Mogaert Wrote: I can't believe I hadn't noticed this thread!  I have several high end badger and synthetic brushes that I can use to create great lather, but a few months ago on a whim I bought the Thater white beehive boar brush and it quickly became my go-to brush.  I liked it so much that I bought a second in tortoise shell so I could let them dry 48 hours between uses.  I could give a dozen reasons why I love this brush so much, but the most important is that my face and neck have finally cleared up.  I'm in my 50's and still suffer (I guess I should say suffered) from acne.  Is it the stiffness of the boar over badger that is helping exfoliate my skin?  Maybe.  Could I get the same results from a cheaper boar brush?  Again maybe, but why mess with something that works?  I will admit that I started using Mystic Water shaving soap and that had helped clear up my skin, but the Thater boar brush was the missing element that completed the process.  I didn't read the entire thread to see if anyone else had mentioned this, but if you suffer from acne, a boar brush might do the trick in clearing up your skin.  As an added bonus; these are the only brushes I've caught my girlfriend sniffing with a look of delight on her face!

That is a great story. Glad you found a brush that could do that for you. Which tortoise shell handle did you get? Post a picture.
I too love Mystic Water soaps. I find I can get plenty of lather using less product than I do with other brands.
The Thater boar brush and Mystic Water soap is a great combo.

5 1,788